When are you going fully electric?

Ermm no they are made up, Octopus Intelligent Go and Normal Go are ~1p difference from the 'standard' cap price, 22.8p vs 20.91p for me.

They are both intelligent night rate tariffs aimed at EV owners. Is there a difference in standing charges for EV vs normal tariffs?

Such an odd argument this one, unless you’ve got a grow farm in the loft it’s utter bobbins to continue to cite and expect to maintain credibility.

It’s not though. In many parts of the UK EV tariffs have higher day rates and higher daily standing charges. So it means your EV night rates on paper are not to only factor. Your could see your day rates increase 10% 20% and the EV offset does still work out better, but quoting the EV night rates on their own is inaccurate.

Last edited:
I don’t need to, the fact you just conceded the standing charge is indeed higher, proves my point. It only needs to be 20 pence pence per day to pump your EV rates average up by a few pence per kWh on average.

Going to keep my TTRS as long as is viable. I’m still put off by the longevity of EV batteries, second hand market and recent huge depreciation of some models. The Qtron RS looks good, but I’ll wait to see what the future TT/R8 EV offerings look like or that of other sporty models.

I don’t need to, the fact you just conceded the standing charge is indeed higher, proves my point. It only needs to be 20 pence pence per day to pump your EV rates average up by a few pence per kWh on average.

And the fact I just demonstrated than using your dishwasher in the off peak period, let alone charging an EV at all, will save money shows you are just being disingenuous and trolling.

Last edited:
Resale isn’t an issue on older EVs?
Well What Car just put out another range test video today, and for science they pitted the new cars against a 10 year old Model S with 250k miles on it, they measured 13% loss from new. Assuming you don't do 250k miles or keep your cars 10 years? Not to mention battery tech and the related electronics controlling it have come along massively in a decade.

And the fact I just demonstrated than using your dishwasher in the off peak period, let alone charging an EV at all, will save money shows you are just being disingenuous and trolling.

Is it higher? The answer is yes. I’m correct then that ignoring such (not so) hidden charges is indeed inaccurate. We’re done here.

Last edited:
Is it higher? The answer is yes. I’m correct then that ignoring such (not so) hidden charges is indeed inaccurate. We’re done here.

Glad you've admitted defeat, and realised it costs less to have an off-peak tariff even without using an EV. Have nice day, and don't hang your head in shame, come back with some real data next time.

Glad you've admitted defeat, and realised it costs less to have an off-peak tariff even without using an EV. Have nice day, and don't hang your head in shame, come back with some real data next time.

Ahahaha why so salty? It’s not your fault you can’t do basic sums. The fact you are now twisting the argument to something I never once claimed, says all I need to know about your “debating” skills.

Last edited:
Ahahaha why so salty? It’s not your fault you can’t do basic sums. The fact you are now twisting the argument to something I never once claimed, says all I need to know about your “debating” skills.
Zero twisting you made up day figures of 25p vs 35p , called you out on it then you tried to go down some rabbit hole and lost, no need to get butt hurt that you were wrong, just admit you made up the figures.

Well What Car just put out another range test video today, and for science they pitted the new cars against a 10 year old Model S with 250k miles on it, they measured 13% loss from new. Assuming you don't do 250k miles or keep your cars 10 years? Not to mention battery tech and the related electronics controlling it have come along massively in a decade.

I do tend to keep my cars more these days.

Zero twisting you made up day figures of 25p vs 35p , called you out on it then you tried to go down some rabbit hole and lost, no need to get butt hurt that you were wrong, just admit you made up the figures.

I used them as examples and even said they were examples for my point and my point is correct. If your EV tariff has higher standing rate charges and or unit rates, then it is inaccurate to claim the night rates are the flat cost of your EV charging. Yes they still work out cheaper overall of course (I never once claimed they weren’t).

My first post and main point on the subject:

Ev tariffs have sometimes much higher day rates and standing prices. So when averaged out they tend to be a a fair bit more than most EV owners have convinced themselves they are

Last edited:
The point being the day rates are usually a little higher but not much

And time shifting a bit of your weekly energy consumption to the cheap period more than compensates these higher rates, even if you aren’t charging your EV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom