When are you going fully electric?

No they don’t necessarily. It depends what tariffs are available in your part of the UK. Stop using your use case as if it applies to everyone.

Show some real data of these examples, otherwise it's just a pointless statement that is misleading.

I just checked the Octopus rates for my house from 1 October:

Flex: 25.21p/kwh, 48.79p/day

Octopus intelligent go: 26.71p/kwh, 48.78p/day

So the unit rate difference is 1.5p/kwh

If 1kwh fell into the cheap period saving 18.21p, you could use 12.14kwh during the day before it would cost you more.

13kwh/day is considered high usage.

1kwh over 6 hours is only 0.167kwh per hour which is basically base load for most people. Run a dishwasher cycle once per week and you’d more than cover it.

Dare I say it, a huge number of people would be better off on Octopus intelligent go without even owning an EV.

No, you are both wrong quite frankly.
Nope :p

Plus as I said before Ovo anytime has no day rate penalty.

And my EV tariff in N Ireland is essentially just an economy 7 type. Higher day unit rates and marginally higher standing charges. Cheaper overall but the “night” rates on their own are not the full picture and will vary by region.

F
It’s not though. In many parts of the UK EV tariffs have higher day rates and higher daily standing charges. So it means your EV night rates on paper are not to only factor. Your could see your day rates increase 10% 20% and the EV offset does still work out better, but quoting the EV night rates on their own is inaccurate.

If people are too stupid to not optimise their tarriff against energy use leave them to it.
It’s just a tedious “conversation” just billy joe has some magical koi carp or that clown with his special lamp….

Yawn.

And my EV tariff in N Ireland is essentially just an economy 7 type. Higher day unit rates and marginally higher standing charges. Cheaper overall but the “night” rates on their own are not the full picture and will vary by region.
NI is a bit of a basket case when it comes to the energy market and EV infrastructure and isn’t at all reflective of rUK.

The issues with comparing rates and chargers is people use it differently.

Even though our main car is an EV, we don't actually do much mileage. WFH etc. So getting the best peak rate is better than off peak EV rate.

But that would flip if we drove more and were not at home as much. Which I expect is more normal.

F

If people are too stupid to not optimise their tarriff against energy use leave them to it.
It’s just a tedious “conversation” just billy joe has some magical koi carp or that clown with his special lamp….

Yawn.

Because not everyone has the option and it depends on region and if you have a smart meter etc.

Last edited:
Because not everyone has the option and it depends on region and if you have a smart meter etc.

Only 3% of the UK population live in NI though, everyone else has access to far better rates. You don't need a smart meter for Ovo any time either, just a compatible car or charger.

Back
Top Bottom