When are you going fully electric?

ID7 Tourer Arrived on Thursday.
First impressions are great. Averaging 4m/kwh in the rain over the last couple of days, which was a pleasant surprise.
It's very comfy, and the standard suspension feels good. I'm coming from an Arteon elegance and Cupra Born and that's really my only reference. Softer than the Cupra.
I'm not a 'machine is an extension of man' type of chap so my driving thoughts should be taken in that context. It's nice, enough poke and appears to be doing what it's told. I've not crashed into anything yet so that's a good sign.
I like the travel assist, it other than needing to touch the steering wheel it really does just drive itself on A roads and above. Some will hate this, I like the fact it will almost drive me all the way home.
Seats are great (standard) and the massage is surprisingly eager.
The infotaintment is quick and works well. The HUD is great and massive.
Not loving the App, although it's not awful. Syncing the range and charging is a mixed experience, with the range subject to some variability without the car moving.
IDA is an interesting gimmick, although has promise replacing my wife as tour guide.
Foot-boot opening appears to have been deleted from the standard spec in the UK, shame as this was something i did use on the Arteon when my hands were full.
Happy to answer any questions.

ybzviOx.jpg

vaNlej7.jpg

Thats a pretty quick delivery on that, The tourer was only released in the summer. i think its a decent all rounder, and for the money they are a great deal at the moment.

While I am having a whinge about car design, indicators are getting stupidly small these days. I was behind a brand new Vauxhall on Friday and the rear indicator was tiny and completely drowned out by the brightness of the brake lights. Another brand new car (EV, can't remember the make) coming towards me at a roundabout had the indicators so small and so close to the headlight that you couldn't see them at all. This is a safety issue and while I don't expect them to be huge I do expect other road users to be able to see them, that is when the driver of said car can be bothered to use them anyway. I actually like the flashing arrow type on Audi's, at least you can see them.

On the car coming towards you, surely you would have seen the repeater in the wing mirror?

While I am having a whinge about car design, indicators are getting stupidly small these days. I was behind a brand new Vauxhall on Friday and the rear indicator was tiny and completely drowned out by the brightness of the brake lights. Another brand new car (EV, can't remember the make) coming towards me at a roundabout had the indicators so small and so close to the headlight that you couldn't see them at all. This is a safety issue and while I don't expect them to be huge I do expect other road users to be able to see them, that is when the driver of said car can be bothered to use them anyway. I actually like the flashing arrow type on Audi's, at least you can see them.

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this - especially since most modern cars have retina searing LED DRLs as well these days. Nissan seem to be particularly bad; the Qashqai at least, has these tiny little triangles buried in the corner of the main lighting cluster, making them practically invisible until they're only a few M away :mad:

On the car coming towards you, surely you would have seen the repeater in the wing mirror?
Couldn't see it at all. It was on a roundabout where you need to keep your wits about you because most people just drive out in front of others when it's not their right of way and lane discipline is practically non existant. There have been so many accidents on this roundabout and I have been cut up on a weekly basis that I need to take avoiding action. Bloody Elgin, I hate the place.

Couldn't see it at all. It was on a roundabout where you need to keep your wits about you because most people just drive out in front of others when it's not their right of way and lane discipline is practically non existant. There have been so many accidents on this roundabout and I have been cut up on a weekly basis that I need to take avoiding action. Bloody Elgin, I hate the place.

Which roundabout? There’s only about 4 in the whole city :D

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this - especially since most modern cars have retina searing LED DRLs as well these days. Nissan seem to be particularly bad; the Qashqai at least, has these tiny little triangles buried in the corner of the main lighting cluster, making them practically invisible until they're only a few M away :mad:
I saw what I think was a newish Toyota RAV4 the other day, it had small bright foglight-style DRLs on the front with utterly useless halogen indicators immediately above them. Couldn't even see them flashing until it was at an angle having turned the corner.

Which roundabout? There’s only about 4 in the whole city :D
There are at least 16 actually unless they have put yet another in at the new business estate off the A96 where Grampian furniture has moved, in which case it would be 17. The one I am talking about is at the auction mart which seems to be even worse than the Tesco one.

Last edited:
Picked the MG4 Trophy up this afternoon, took the wife to an industrial estate to drive it and she ended up driving home.
Decided the ECO Mode was way fast enough for us and we'll keep it in that mode unless we find things we don't like.
It was funny watching her drive in Assist Mode where it stayed the same distance behind the car in front and she didn't have to touch the pedals.

Eco mode doesn’t so much other than pedal response. Better to have power available

Active cruise is nice, very good on MEB too
I find chill mode in tesla completely pointless as it doesn’t give me more efficiency when I want it and only limits power when I need it.
I think it’s for people who use accelerator pedal as on/off switch.

Last edited:
I still have about 15 months left on my Tesla Model 3 personal lease but now find myself in the situation where my wife could take that on which would allow me to dip into the company EV scheme

She is after / needs a new (to her) car and if nothing else gives her a year or so to decide in what she wants next

It's Octopus and the salary sacrifice and overall package / cost make it hard not to partake

With having the Tesla (which I love) we are looking for a bigger vehicle and preferably something not RWD as the Tesla struggles getting up our drive in the winter when icy ....

After going through the options on Octopus website it's looking like an Etron Q8 55 S-Line Black Edition although I'm going to look at their second hand / nearly new list just to see if there are any bargains on there first

I can see a few with the Q8 - any thoughts good.or bad I need to consider ? Cheese

The Q8 is essentially a face lifted old etron 55 on a shared ICE platform with a huge battery mashed into it to make it relevant in 2024.

The Q6 is an all new ground up EV using the brand new platform shared with the Mecan and all the benefits that brings. E.g. its running on 800v which enables far faster charging etc.

Last edited:
The Q8 is essentially a face lifted old etron 55 on a shared ICE platform with a huge battery mashed into it to make it relevant in 2024.

The Q6 is an all new ground up EV using the brand new platform shared with the Mecan and all the benefits that brings. E.g. its running on 800v which enables far faster charging etc.
That's great, thanks - I'll take a look at that too! Cheers :)

I find chill mode in tesla completely pointless as it doesn’t give me more efficiency when I want it and only limits power when I need it.
I think it’s for people who use accelerator pedal as on/off switch.

Take into account me and the wife have always had low performance cars, we traded in a Ford B Max which went 0 to 60 in 15 seconds so the MG4 on ECO Mode is like an F1 car to us.
I'm not the age where I want to blow the car off next to me at the traffic lights.

Back
Top Bottom