When are you going fully electric?

I find chill mode in tesla completely pointless as it doesn’t give me more efficiency when I want it and only limits power when I need it.
I think it’s for people who use accelerator pedal as on/off switch.
The i3 I had before had an ECO mode that displayed the throttle/power range to stay in but if you needed the full beans just press down fully and it would give max power.

I mainly use Chill mode to reduce tyre wear these days. That and staying behind ICE cars from the many traffic lights I pass through on my commute.

Last edited:
The Q8 is essentially a face lifted old etron 55 on a shared ICE platform with a huge battery mashed into it to make it relevant in 2024.

The Q6 is an all new ground up EV using the brand new platform shared with the Mecan and all the benefits that brings. E.g. its running on 800v which enables far faster charging etc.

May just be me but, looking on the Octopus configurator the Q6 is 300 miles (stated) range and 6.6 0-60 where the Q8 is 305 miles and 5.6

Will do a bit of digging on this as the Q6 at similar trim level and options is quite a bit cheaper so could.bump up with panoramic roof, tow bar etc and still come in cheaper

Think I'll book a call and get the nearly new list too, may sack all this off of there's a bargain Porsche to be had :cry: :cry: :cry:

I believe there are two different battery sizes for each car and the Q6 also comes in RWD only.

The Q6 has a smaller battery but it’s more efficient so range is similar. It charges way faster when you need it which is the real benefit.

I believe there are two different battery sizes for each car and the Q6 also comes in RWD only.

The Q6 has a smaller battery but it’s more efficient so range is similar. It charges way faster when you need it which is the real benefit.
Ah ok. I have a home charger which has worked.fine with overnight and only had to use a supercharger on a handful of occasions in almost three years of ownership so the faster charging isn't a real consideration at the moment - thanks though it's really helpful as much more of a minefield that when I got my first EV!!

That Q8 range is never going to be 300 miles, but they are nice cars imo. Is the price similar to the Q6?

Yeah, get that as my TM3 doesn't get 270 or any EV get their stated range in the real world. In reality 200-250 would do me in 90-95% of scenarios

The Q6 is cheaper by c£100 per month no neither here nor there - I can get the panoramic roof, tow bar on the Q6 and come.in under the price of the Q8 without

But the Q6 doesn't have black edition (on the website)

Whatcar did a test last week. A6 etron, considering the size of the battery, didn’t come out well in terms of range.

I'll take a look, thanks :)

Hi, I've got a Q8 Etron 50. Keep in mind that the lowest spec on a Q8 is more like a mid to high range spec on the Q6. There are no options for RWD only and all cars get the dynamic adjustable air suspension.

I've had 250 out of mine quite easily, and mine only has the 95kwh battery. Id completely expect the 115kwh battery of the 55 to be able to hit 300 miles real world range. Whilst the Q8 etron is quite an inefficient car - the 'cure' of a whopping great battery has advantages in other ways. I just completed a trip down to the middle of France, and I averaged 2.6kwh/m whilst doing 130kmh on the motorways. What hurts this cars economy most is stop start driving. It's a big heavy luxury cruiser and it's been made to excel at that.

Also, regarding charging speed. I've yet to find a charger that actually delivers the 175kw that the Q8 is capable of charging at. So charge speed is already very good on the Q8, so not really an issue.

The Q6 has only just been launched, so real world experience with the car is low and I doubt there will be many good deals on the car. Based on owners groups and current etrons, I'd avoid the panoramic roof (unless it's the non-opening sort).

Last edited:
The i3 I had before had an ECO mode that displayed the throttle/power range to stay in but if you needed the full beans just press down fully and it would give max power.

That's the same as my Leaf. The first time I used Eco mode I hated it and said I would never use it again but I actually use it all the time as well as stick the car into B drive mode for max regen plus I use the awesome E-pedal which I love.

So when you may need the power it’s not there because you limit the power as use the throttle like a switch and can’t modulate yourself. Amazing

Last edited:
That's the same as my Leaf. The first time I used Eco mode I hated it and said I would never use it again but I actually use it all the time as well as stick the car into B drive mode for max regen plus I use the awesome E-pedal which I love.
The brake pedal also does regen even in lowest regen setting. And if you have throttle modulation issues then I imagine passengers must feel sick with max regen ?

The most efficient driving is no regen too. No braking no regen just keep momentum up

Last edited:
The Leaf is the same. There's a natural throttle movement, then a further kickdown beyond that. Even in Eco mode, if you mash it all the way it'll deliver 100%.

The Etron is a bit different. In Efficiency mode, the normal throttle range it up to 75%, and the kick down gets you to 100%. But, Boost is disabled (what kick down normally gives in other drive modes). So even if you mash the throttle, you won't get as much power as you'd get in other drive modes. But 100% is still a lot of torque.

The most efficient driving is no regen too. No braking no regen just keep momentum up
It's just those pesky other cars, turns and junctions that ruin it. :p

But you are right, planning further ahead and maintaining as much of your momentum as possible is something your learn driving an EV. Especially one with a tiny battery (or as beforehand - a hybrid with an even tinier battery and a 600cc motor).

Last edited:
Hi, I've got a Q8 Etron 50. Keep in mind that the lowest spec on a Q8 is more like a mid to high range spec on the Q6. There are no options for RWD only and all cars get the dynamic adjustable air suspension.

I've had 250 out of mine quite easily, and mine only has the 95kwh battery. Id completely expect the 115kwh battery of the 55 to be able to hit 300 miles real world range. Whilst the Q8 etron is quite an inefficient car - the 'cure' of a whopping great battery has advantages in other ways. I just completed a trip down to the middle of France, and I averaged 2.6kwh/m whilst doing 130kmh on the motorways. What hurts this cars economy most is stop start driving. It's a big heavy luxury cruiser and it's been made to excel at that.

Also, regarding charging speed. I've yet to find a charger that actually delivers the 175kw that the Q8 is capable of charging at. So charge speed is already very good on the Q8, so not really an issue.

The Q6 has only just been launched, so real world experience with the car is low and I doubt there will be many good deals on the car. Based on owners groups and current etrons, I'd avoid the panoramic roof (unless it's the non-opening sort).
Thank you

It's just those pesky other cars, turns and junctions that ruin it. :p

But you are right, planning further ahead and maintaining as much of your momentum as possible is something your learn driving an EV. Especially one with a tiny battery (or as beforehand - a hybrid with an even tinier battery and a 600cc motor).

I changed my regen settings and driving style* in the Niro after watching a video on this topic, and it's upped my efficiency by quite a bit.

Depends on the journey of course, but I'd say an average of 0.5 mi/kwh - sometimes there's very little effect, others it's quite significant. The best I've had so far is 5.2, on a journey which previously I'd get 3.8 at most!

* previously on max regen, avoiding the brakes and instead using the left paddle for one-pedal driving as much as possible, now I've got regen off, with the auto setting enabled

That reminds me of a friend who insisted his driving style was perfectly good for efficiency. He wondered why he was getting lower efficiency than me in the same type of car (both E-Tron 50). It turned out he had turned off the auto regen option where it slows you down coming up to junctions and roundabouts etc. He thought late braking with a big regen bar was key to best efficiency. He was wrong, the key is don’t lose the energy in the first place and let auto coast mode do its thing.

Last edited:
yes - you wonder how such people drove their ICE, and hadn't learned conservation of momentum to benefit mpg/tyres(...brake pads)

A6 etron is the beauty - a saloon/estate should have aero efficiency on it's side ( would give up my new vicarious ID7 boot residence )

So when you may need the power it’s not there because you limit the power as use the throttle like a switch and can’t modulate yourself. Amazing

That's not correct at all. If you need the power it's always there, you just push the pedal down further than you normally would. It sort of smooths out the power delivery while giving a bit of extra range. It will still take off like a rocket if you need it to which I have done quite a few times to get past slow moving lorries.

That's not correct at all. If you need the power it's always there, you just push the pedal down further than you normally would. It sort of smooths out the power delivery while giving a bit of extra range. It will still take off like a rocket if you need it to which I have done quite a few times to get past slow moving lorries.

That Mg4 did last night in ECO Mode, it just seemed the pedal was pushed down further and it still went like a rocket.

The brake pedal also does regen even in lowest regen setting. And if you have throttle modulation issues then I imagine passengers must feel sick with max regen ?

Why are you being a arse? I have no throttle modulation issues, I do it purely to extend my range and get the maximum miles per kw and the lowest running costs. I also know the car does regen in normal mode when braking. I know how my bloody car works and I have been driving since 1985 so I know how to drive a car. You still maintain momentum with max regen on, when no other cars and juctions are in the way anyway and you have to think ahead only using a single pedal to drive.

Back
Top Bottom