When are you going fully electric?

I moved from a Golf R to Model Y Performance just over a year ago. The Model Y feels MUCH faster in a straight line, offers MUCH more space and is MUCH cheaper to run. I liked The Golf MUCH more.
Yeah better car, exactly. It’s how a car makes you feel.

@Journey a model Y is MPV. Doesn’t have the running clearance to be an SUV.

and another bonus of having an EV that the media forgets to mention..... I plugged the car in to charge and..... octopus gave me a load of bonus slots, I am getting 7p kWh for full house electric and car charging from 6pm through to 5:30am

I moved from a Golf R to Model Y Performance just over a year ago. The Model Y feels MUCH faster in a straight line, offers MUCH more space and is MUCH cheaper to run. I liked The Golf MUCH more.
:cry: :cry: I'm going through the same mental gymnastics with myself at the moment. I go from perusing Aston Martins to Model Ys to X5M's to keeping what I've got (E43). I pretty much had a done deal on an ID7 but the lease company changed policy (I can only have 1 EV lease at a time).

Last edited:
:cry: :cry: I'm going through the same mental gymnastics with myself at the moment. I go from perusing Aston Martins to Model Ys to X5M's to keeping what I've got (E43). I pretty much had a done deal on an ID7 but the lease company changed policy (I can only have 1 EV lease at a time).
if you want a proper driver's car at least pick a driver's EV to give it a fighting chance. it's still not gonna beat the ICE car but a taycan or an ETron GT or an ipace is gonna have a better chance of impressing than a model Y or an ID7- which as good of an EV the model Y is , it's not really a driver's car by all accounts (tho to be fair I have only been a passenger in one for any length of time so I could be wrong I guess)

Last edited:
Lots of choice but it is difficult to find anything that fits perfectly. If I was looking for a performance EV now, I would seriously consider the Ionic 5N over anything else.

Lots of choice but it is difficult to find anything that fits perfectly. If I was looking for a performance EV now, I would seriously consider the Ionic 5N over anything else.
Into that £ though and I can have a fun petrol car and a load of petrol money lol.

if you want a proper driver's car at least pick a driver's EV to give it a fighting chance. it's still not gonna beat the ICE car but a taycan or an ETron GT or an ipace is gonna have a better chance of impressing than a model Y or an ID7- which as good of an EV the model Y is , it's not really a driver's car by all accounts (tho to be fair I have only been a passenger in one for any length of time so I could be wrong I guess)
iPace is becoming tempting. JLR are "giving" them away atm. 40% discount with privilege.

My work just offered salary sacrifice through octopus, anyone using this - I can't work out if it's a good deal or not the cars seem pricey with the milage limit.

My work just offered salary sacrifice through octopus, anyone using this - I can't work out if it's a good deal or not the cars seem pricey with the milage limit.
Exceptional deal if you are a higher rate tax payer - but like all leases, higher than 10k mileage seems to kill the key benefit.

Salary sacrifice is generally the cheapest way to lease a new car if you're taxed within the 40%/45% brackets and your company offers the perk. Be careful though, as some lease companies can offer worse deals on certain SS car offers than special offers available to the public.

Salary sacrifice is generally the cheapest way to lease a new car if you're taxed within the 40%/45% brackets and your company offers the perk. Be careful though, as some lease companies can offer worse deals on certain SS car offers than special offers available to the public.
It's awful how much some of the SS companies charge. They look at the net cost to the user and price it just under the market price, rather than making the gross the actual true cost (plus a reasonable profit margin). It's pretty disgusting actually as employees are typically locked into the provider the employer chooses so there's no competition

It's awful how much some of the SS companies charge. They look at the net cost to the user and price it just under the market price, rather than making the gross the actual true cost (plus a reasonable profit margin). It's pretty disgusting actually as employees are typically locked into the provider the employer chooses so there's no competition
It is still pretty untouchable. Example below is a fully loaded ID7 with insurance for 2 drivers (incl. one with just 2 years experience...). Nil deposit.

b5iNA5g.png

iPace is becoming tempting. JLR are "giving" them away atm. 40% discount with privilege.
I am biased as it was my choice but I love mine. as an EV it's not perfect, the DC charging isn't that fast and others have better range - both issues that do not worry me.perspnally but could be a showstopper for some. but as a car I can't fault it and after 18 (flawless) months of driving mine I still enjoy driving it.
the big thing for me (and some will say makes it dated but it's one reason I like it) inside it's a "proper" car with buttons and switches and not just a giant tablet stuck in the front of the car

mine has done over 52000 miles but on good weather will still get 250 motorway miles and as as proved today about 215 in awful weather
it's RRP is bonkers tho, no way I would pay that. it 40% off? that is a lot of car for your £ then.

Last edited:
It is still pretty untouchable. Example below is a fully loaded ID7 with insurance for 2 drivers (incl. one with just 2 years experience...). Nil deposit.
Yeah, it's still not too bad after tax/NI savings.

But the PCH alternative is a boggo one for ~£355 a month (and you insure and maintain it yourself) - imagine if SS schemes could get close to this as the gross cost! You'd be paying peanuts after the tax savings.

Yeah, it's still not too bad after tax/NI savings.

But the PCH alternative is a boggo one for ~£355 a month (and you insure and maintain it yourself) - imagine if SS schemes could get close to this as the gross cost! You'd be paying peanuts after the tax savings.

463/mo at same mileage and no deposit - and the model isn't comparable. So you are right but it isn't an apple to apples comparison. With increasing insurance cost too, I don't think it's as far off as it may seem.

Edit: same model to the one I speced above less insurance and maintenance is 730mo. Getting closer to my 900mo gross example...but you're right by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Quick question...I'm IOG and right now my model y is charging via my zappi in the IOG scheduled window...

So if I look at the little smart meter display in my kitchen it shows 7.5kw in use, but the cost now per hour at £1.86

Shouldn't it be a lot lower??

Quick question...I'm IOG and right now my model y is charging via my zappi in the IOG scheduled window...

So if I look at the little smart meter display in my kitchen it shows 7.5kw in use, but the cost now per hour at £1.86

Shouldn't it be a lot lower??

Your IHD will never be right, they rarely are with IOG.

Back
Top Bottom