When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Most other cars are amazing as you can do it without taking your eyes off the road
Yeah but on a model 3 this isn’t too much of a concern once you know where everything is it’s instinctive. The car will do most of the driving anyway ;) (this is the big part all of the screen haters seem to miss)

how often does one press the buttons on a car anyway. All of the climate buttons are useless as on most cars these days it’s automatic.

Yeah but on a model 3 this isn’t too much of a concern once you know where everything is it’s instinctive. The car will do most of the driving anyway ;) (this is the big part all of the screen haters seem to miss)

how often does one press the buttons on a car anyway. All of the climate buttons are useless as on most cars these days it’s automatic.

I'm not a screen hater I have virtual cockpit
I can do the vast majority of the things from my drivers stalks/steering wheel, There are about 5-6 buttons in my car, including the emergency hazard, start stop, rear spoiler override etc
Climate is in the air vents themselves

In 30 years driving I cant think of a single time I have needed to adjust the passenger air vent. The rest i can reach and find in the dark without taking my eyes of the road, I agree you cant say that for a stereo on much more than turning the volume up
But its all done on stalks by or on the steering wheel for me. I hardly have to move either my hands nor my eyes, just up down like you do with checking the speedo
When I drive my other halves BMW it feels far more distracting from the road to look to the centre, very off putting compared to mine

So I totally get screens, its just most of them put them in the wrong place, they should be in front of the driver ;)

Soldato
What?

My PC isn't touch screen and I can add features later on.

What does the input method have to do with that? It's just software, irrespective of whether its controlled via touch or a controller?

Some features will be hard to integrate by touch I guess? For example my M3 increased the amount of street lights etc that were visible and it lets you swipe around the car to see what the car can see. This feature was installed after delivery IIRC and I can't see that being easily added using a controller.

Touch also allows much quicker interactivity that with dial or keyboard.

The dial was innovative at the turn of the century but technology and expectations have moved on somewhat. (have you ever tried to type using a dial? an onscreen keyboard is way easier)

Last edited:
Soldato
Touch screens are difficult and clumsy to use while moving. That's the issue and there is no fix for that.

You can't feel your way around like you can with a button so have to take eyes off the road (which is why they banned phone use while driving). You can't use them with gloves on either as most are capacitive screens.

Soldato
Touch screens are difficult and clumsy to use while moving. That's the issue and there is no fix for that.

You can't feel your way around like you can with a button so have to take eyes off the road (which is why they banned phone use while driving). You can't use them with gloves on either as most are capacitive screens.

Which ones did you use that you struggled with?

Soldato
Which ones did you use that you struggled with?

The ones that you can't use without taking your eyes off the road maybe such as my Galaxy S10+?

To

touch is here to stay, it’s too good.

People are copying Tesla now

Touch has been around for about 20 years in one form or another? I wouldn't be surprised if it gets banned eventually & to be honest it ought to be, you aren't watching the road whilst you are fiddling with a screen.

Touch will give way to voice (which has also been around for two decades in even a basic form) & then we can bin the crappy iPads & go back to a properly designed interior.

Soldato
The ones that you can't use without taking your eyes off the road maybe such as my Galaxy S10+?

Touch has been around for about 20 years in one form or another? I wouldn't be surprised if it gets banned eventually & to be honest it ought to be, you aren't watching the road whilst you are fiddling with a screen.

Touch will give way to voice (which has also been around for two decades in even a basic form) & then we can bin the crappy iPads & go back to a properly designed interior.

Oh sorry I mean in a car.

People are copying tesla by having a touchscreen as the main control of a car. I think Merc have done it with the new S.

I dont think the screens will go if voice takes over as information still needs to be shown somehow.

Soldato

People are copying tesla by having a touchscreen as the main control of a car. I think Merc have done it with the new S.

I dont think the screens will go if voice takes over as information still needs to be shown somehow.

Touch screens have been in cars for about 20 years to control things like Nav, climate, & stereo functions etc

Oh yeah, screens will still exist, but ideally in the instrument cluster where they don't look nasty & maybe a smaller one centrally that passengers can see. I don't have an issue with screens themselves, just the massive things slapped in the centre with no thought put in at all. I honestly think touch should be disabled when in motion or at the very least some form of detection put in place so that if the driver doesn't have 2 hands on the wheel it won't respond.

Soldato

Because the whole "mobile phone generation". It's seen as fashionable and is what the 1990s kids think is futuristic. But it isn't very functional.

Touch screens were never really meant for that kind of application. They aren't even remotely ergonomic to use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
It creates another single point of failure and adds extra clicks to do things. In the IT world that is considered counter productive.

As for those Tesla units, expect most of them to fail eventually. Once these things start to go, they often all go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom