When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Well you also have that as an option - just don’t start autopilot or cancel it

The engine note just doesn't do it for me unfortunately, i'm also not a fan of Autos so, i despise the wife's dual clutch Octavia too, it's better in start stop traffic & that's about it, essentially for the same reason, it's just boring to drive.

Associate
The engine note just doesn't do it for me unfortunately, i'm also not a fan of Autos so, i despise the wife's dual clutch Octavia too, it's better in start stop traffic & that's about it, essentially for the same reason, it's just boring to drive.
Fair enough then I guess your answer to the thread title is never. Unless you would cope with a futuristic piped engine note ala Taycan. Gearbox wise as no real need for gears can’t see manual taking off in EV’s unless some small outfit decides to do it for a laugh/to make it feel more engaging.

I can imagine a dual clutch octavia being boring to drive ( as is our auto s-max). A high performance EV not so much IMO.

Associate
You'll note that most people who claim EVs are boring to drive have usually never driven one. ;)

Indeed. I find the acceleration of the M3P far from boring. Granted it’s not as involving as a sports car but the comedy acceleration has yet to become boring. My old man who I took to Palmer motorsports a good few years back thinks it feels faster than anything we drove there (caterham, Jaguar JP1). I think it’s the instant response and full torque from 0 that does it.

Soldato
You'll note that most people who claim EVs are boring to drive have usually never driven one. ;)

I've driven two funnily enough but you don't need to drive one to have a WTF moment the first time you set your eyes on the 55" screen stuck in the dash like an afterthought. I would imagine in years to come someone might build a leccy car which can emulate a petrol, sure it'll have fake exhaust sounds & the gearbox might not really be a gearbox but someone might actually put some effort in to actually designing one.

Soldato
Looking forward to catching up on the EV content in here.. Just off to move my 2 touchscreen HUD equipped 4 cylinder Massey Ferguson diesel Evoque. :p

Admittedly I had to look that one up and you know what, that aint bad actually, that's a fairly smart looking interior, why can't Tesla put some actual thought in like that?

Soldato
Unless you would cope with a futuristic piped engine note ala Taycan. Gearbox wise as no real need for gears
... taycan has a gearbox ? and they are recognised as providing economy and power at higher speeds, so I thought they are an upcoming ev accoutrement

edit: haven't heard if the coincept of an LSD in in the EV domain if you have just one ev motor for the front or back wheels, mechanical lsd's being recognised as superior.

Last edited:
Soldato
All EV have gearboxs, typically between 8 and 11 ratio just Taycan has a multispeed gearbox you choose between two ratios.

In terms of torque vectoring look at the recent etron S with the two motor rear axle. Super neat layout with the concentric gears and each wheel has its own motor and hence torque control to both accelerate and decelerate the wheels independently.

But the Tesla has a touch screen that plays Netflix so it’s technology is leaps ahead yeah? :p

Associate
You’re right the taycan has two speeds and I think the current argument is between if a multi speed gearbox is needed or you can have different ratios on the different electric motors to get similar/same benefits but with better overall efficiency.

Soldato
And theres the other reason I don't want an EV, besides the fact that for me (maybe not you) they make no financial sense. I actually enjoy driving, not being driven.
I've never enjoyed driving in a straight line at 70. Its about the most boring piece of driving that exists.

Otherwise I enjoy it so you can just disable the AP and proceed.

Soldato
Is there a law stopping people from fidding with an on board computer? Afaik there is no such law. It's no different to fiddling with a radio.
No, there is a specific law about using a handheld device (e.g. a phone) but everything else falls under the catch all of driving without due care and attention which is fairly self explanatory and can apply to anything from someone turning around to a passenger to putting your make up on.

Exactly, the law is clear, anything that is not required in order to operate the car is only to be undertaken when safe to do so.
Anything that requires you to take your eyes off the road will fall under this category.

But really the issue is the law has not been amended at all, so the assumption is that the person behind the wheel is in control and hence fully liable should anything happen.
The law specifically says you cannot watch video whilst moving so those devices must stop operating, IMO doing something like checking twitter on a screen is closer to the video than operating a car and as such when one inevitably goes to court the law may be pushed that way by case law.

If autopilot missed something that then caused a massive crash the driver of the car would be liable, just the same as they are with any car with adaptive cruise, auto braking, and lane control etc. (Ie the main functions that are allowing the tesla driver to not look at the road for short periods are as available on some ICE cars, the tech isn't unique for these cases)

IMO the one thing thats going to hold back the adoption of full automation is resolving the issue of who is liable when a full automated car ploughs into a line of kids waiting for a bus. At the moment its the driver, even if something was to go mechanically wrong. With full automation do we pass liability to the software company?

Soldato
Not sure I agree with that and no one is talking about checking Twitter on the cars infotainment screen, that is obviously unacceptable.

Driving without due care and attention is a principle and not prescriptive which leads to a huge amount of nuance depending on the specific scenario that it’s being applied to. There is no blanket if you do X then it’s breaking that law.

E.G. spending a few seconds to adjust the ventilation while sat at a red traffic light isn’t likely to cause you to fall foul of it. If you then pulled away without checking your mirrors and blinds spots causing you to run down a cyclist then it probably would. Looking at the screen or physical buttons was almost irrelevant as it didn’t cause the problem, failing to check the mirrors did.

Soldato
You’re right the taycan has two speeds and I think the current argument is between if a multi speed gearbox is needed or you can have different ratios on the different electric motors to get similar/same benefits but with better overall efficiency.

Yeah i'd be interesting to know more about that, my understanding is on the Teslas with dual motors the front motor is geared with a higher final drive and that takes over most of the cruising at higher speeds and you've got a 'low geared' rear motor to give you the acceleration. To me it seems a simpler and better system than having to design a gearbox that can swap ratios and handle the insane torque but then again i'm no engineer.

Back
Top Bottom