When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Sounds about right for this government. Introduce a grant whilst the cars are crap, then scrap it when half decent ones are out.

I was tempted with a hybrid, but after reading about the grants this morning seems like as you say they are no longer included.

Just makes them £3.5k more expensive than they would have been.

I assume when the mid/long range full EV models are out, they'll scrap those too.

Soldato
Sounds about right for this government. Introduce a grant whilst the cars are crap, then scrap it when half decent ones are out.

I was tempted with a hybrid, but after reading about the grants this morning seems like as you say they are no longer included.

Just makes them £3.5k more expensive than they would have been.

I assume when the mid/long range full EV models are out, they'll scrap those too.

Maybe.

The other possible explanation is that the data gathered by OLEV suggests PHEVs weren't doing sufficient emission-free miles to constitute a significant economic good. The government website only lists six models which can drive more than 20 miles on electric (and that won't be real-world numbers, either).

Soldato
That and pure EV is getting cheaper and more accessible so less need for grants. I expect it will just be deleted next time round and a charge added to ICE instead like a few other countries.

Soldato
I've decided I like the look of the new Pininfarina Battista, not sure if I'll have saved up enough by the time it is released though, 1900+ BHP, 0-186Mph sub 12 seconds, fully road legal *cough* £2m *cough* bargin. :D

Permabanned
How will we charge our cars if we tomorrow all wake up with electric cars? We don't have the infrastructure, nor anyone takes proper actions in the direction to build electrical connections to every parking place.

Soldato
Why does every parking place need an electrical connection?

The majority of people can charge at home using their own equipment and existing infrastructure.

The average UK person drives under 7,500 miles per year or 144 miles per week. Almost every new EV being bought to market has a range over 200 miles. Therefore the average driver needs to plug in once per week. Granted some will need more and some will need less.

Cars on average spend 90% of their lives parked so there is plenty of opportunity to park. So not that many public chargers will actually be needed to support those with no off street parking (who incidentally are far less likely to own a car). There is nothing stopping anyone putting chargers in the street now, it’s just chicken and egg.

There is already an existing networks which enable cross European travel and they are expanding quickly. There are also thousands of domestic public chargers that hardly anyone actually uses.

Places that will have problems are destinations that are typically after a long journey and attract a lot of cars like sports venues, theme parks etc.

Permabanned
If you own a house, you can. But what about the highrises with dozens of apartments? I can't imagine how I will take a 20 metre long cable through the window from the first floor of the building, or a 50 metre longer cable if I am on the tenth floor.

Soldato
The majority of people can charge at home using their own equipment and existing infrastructure.

I think the issue some folk have is in their head not an actual physical barrier, as you put above most UK home owners/renters can charge at home, and I only know of one person that I have ever met who had a petrol pump on their property/land.

Speaking of fully electric, we'll be looking forward to getting rid of the last ICE car once the new property is complete - full solar/battery storage/ground source heat pump and hopefully someday a vehicle to grid/property adapter as one of the cars will normally be parked up at home for a great deal of the day, so best to make use of it. :)

Man of Honour
If you say so. :)

For instance I drive through a village on my way to work where maybe 1 in 5 properties people park directly on their property - probably half the parked cars are ad-hoc on the street as best they can roughly outside their house but with a pavement in the way (which is a pain passing through) the rest split between random parking spaces, couple of communal type carparks and side roads.

Soldato
Nah, terraced houses.

Many terraced houses have off street parking, I live in one.

The majority of people can charge at home using their own equipment and existing infrastructure..[Snip]... So not that many public chargers will actually be needed to support those with no off street parking (who incidentally are far less likely to own a car).

I think after the brexit thread you'd know what a majority is, you mention it enough. :p

If you own a house, you can. But what about the highrises with dozens of apartments? I can't imagine how I will take a 20 metre long cable through the window from the first floor of the building, or a 50 metre longer cable if I am on the tenth floor.

Why would you think the solution is to dangle cables out of a window?

The leaseholders inside the highrises can instruct the management company to have chargers installed in the car park area, they'll hey'll have to pay for it of course and it will cost more than a domestic install (joys of leasehold) but it's really that simple. Depending on the setup the existing electrical supply/panels may need to be upgraded and additional metering installed but its 100% feasible and actually happening right now.

If there is an electricity supply, a charger can be installed, even to things like lamp posts.

https://www.ubitricity.co.uk/

Soldato
If there is an electricity supply, a charger can be installed, even to things like lamp posts.

you've evidently never dealt with rural cornish electrical infrastructure.

this is a country that can't even get it's ass in gear and fill in the potholes in the roads, let alone deal with en-mass adoption of electric cars.

gonna love them low EV emissions when they have to re-open the old coal plants to cope with the macro scale demand too.

Permabanned
The Greens are just dreaming, the infrastructure over the last 100 years has slowly brought petrol and diesel pumps (relatively) to your doorstep. High rise to manor house. The work, potential for abuse, and expense of bringing high amperage charging points to your doorstep, which makes electrically fuelled vehicles practical, is decades away, and currently (excuse the pun) risible. Plus you just move the fuel source from the pumps to the national grid, and the environmental impact of making and disposing of current vehicle battery technology is still filthy. It remains an, overall still dirty, fuel of the committed dreamers, whereas the real issue is over population and impractical aspirations of the working man, fuelled by the internet and a ludicrous aim of financial and social equality. The next thing will be the criminals tapping in to publicly funded electrical sources illegally to "fuel" their vehicles. Using red diesel will then become totally passée. Expect to trip over a cable to the nearest opened lamp post base pretty soon... People get riled queuing behind customers at a conventional fuel station whilst they buy fizzy dringks, fags and crisps, let alone awaiting someone to charge their car at a charging point for ages en route to their (changeable in reality) destination.

Back
Top Bottom