When are you going fully electric?

I've had my Polestar 2 two years now.
Easily the best car I've owned. A few minor problems in Dec 2020 to Jan 2021 with the data network dropping out, due to Polestar not having enough data subscription :p but otherwise it's been flawless.

I didn't have a test drive and didn't even see one in the metal - just watched a couple of YouTubes videos and knew it was right.

Polestar got it perfect with the brake regen - 3 settings, you can disable lane assist and it stays off, the voice control is really nice & works, heated front & rear seats and steering wheel are great in winter, the large central low mounted screen is perfect and love the matrix headlights.
If you are out of coverage or run out of data on their esim, can you tether it to your phone and use that data connection?

I will not be purchasing one until this Tory government actually takes the adoption of EV's seriously and gives us the same as in Norway. Until then I am of the view that the UK is not interested.
Norway's EV deals:
  • No purchase/import tax on EVs (1990-)
  • Exemption from 25% VAT on purchase (2001-)
I would also like to see EV owners paying road tax, after all they are using the same roads as those vehicle owners who do pay the tax.

I will not be purchasing one until this Tory government actually takes the adoption of EV's seriously and gives us the same as in Norway. Until then I am of the view that the UK is not interested.
Norway's EV deals:
I would also like to see EV owners paying road tax, after all they are using the same roads as those vehicle owners who do pay the tax.
Why is any of that needed when the demand is much larger than supply?

VED is based on emissions not road use.

It hasn't been based on emissions since 2017 (Other than the first year rate which I bet nobody even notices as it forms part of the on the road price). It is now a flat rate regardless of emissions with a surcharge for vehicles with a list price of £40k or more. There is an exemption for zero emissions vehicles, but that doesn't make the system based on emissions.

This leads to situations like a 2018 Ford Mustang V8 having far lower annual vehicle excise duty than many plug in hybrid electric vehicles costing only a few thousand more to buy originally.

Personally I think the 2017 change from emissions based to a flat rate was an unusual decision and I'm still not sure why they did it.

Last edited:
It hasn't been based on emissions since 2017 (Other than the first year rate which I bet nobody even notices as it forms part of the on the road price). It is now a flat rate regardless of emissions with a surcharge for vehicles with a list price of £40k or more. There is an exemption for zero emissions vehicles, but that doesn't make the system based on emissions.

This leads to situations like a 2018 Ford Mustang V8 having far lower annual vehicle excise duty than many plug in hybrid electric vehicles costing only a few thousand more to buy originally.

Personally I think the 2017 change from emissions based to a flat rate was an unusual decision and I'm still not sure why they did it.
As emissions get lower due to technology advances, so does revenue from an emissions based model. However, car prices are definitely not going down ...

You realize like most governments who introduce incentives they reduce them once they hit a critical mass and in fact Norway is planning on doing just that, the next step for Norway is to push people out of cars and to public transport where the emissions per head is superior.

End goal for most governments seems to be the end of the car, electric or not, as a personal mode of transport, EVs are just a transitory step along the path to something that can be better controlled and less impactful.

So be careful what you wish for when asking for a Norway model as public transport has and always will suck balls in the UK.

Last edited:
Sweden just ended their incentive and German are reducing theirs I believe. I did benefit from the UK incentive myself and I do "pay" VED each year but my car is classed as zero emissions so the VED form states £0 to pay!

As emissions get lower due to technology advances, so does revenue from an emissions based model. However, car prices are definitely not going down ...

I’m not sure why you think revenue has to go down with the emissions based model. As others have said, you just move the goal posts as you get critical mass approaching your previous goal.

Old tech still on sale that’s more polluting and less efficient needs to move up the tax bands, as do needlessly large cars.

It’s not just the exhaust that is an issue, particulates from tyres and brakes are a real problem. The bigger the car and the more you drive it like a prat, the bigger the problem. The rise of SUVs has been a proper travesty for emissions and no one sees it.

Norway's EV deals:
road/mileage taxing should redress current running cost unfairness, I expect some headline in upcoming chancellors speech, it's not an unpopular viewpopint.
new doc on that https://bettertransport.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Pay-as-you-drive-Report-Sept-2022.pdf

as I suggested, EV pricing seems a catch-22 at the moment, a manufacturer windfall,
demand is high partly because running costs are comparatively low (bik/kwhprice vs petrol) so manufacturers make a higher margin
when 2035 arrives issue will be solved, but in the interim the incentive for manufacturers to increase production is questionable, and climate suffers
(aren't their some interim/graduated carbon targets for them .. perhaps that will focus their attention)

Norway's EV deals:

You are aware Norway is one of the richest countries in the world. They could cut many taxes and be fine I'm sure.

I've saved about £7,000 since buying my M3 in 2020.

Last edited:
I have to choose one soon. Any preferences between the iX3, Model Y, EQC and EV6? Kia's lead time seems to be 9 months+ so may be a no go... Leaning towards the iX3 at present.

I'm not really sure the iX3 and EQC cross shop that well with the Model Y and EV6. They are both is a up in quality over but that also comes at a step up in price.

If availability is a factor then I doubt you are going to get anything faster than a Model Y, you could probably get one this year if you order now. That said I think the Y is due to get some changes shortly (new cameras, and rear seats?) and parking sensor gate has yet to be resolved. You don't really know what's changing until they start delivering.

Last edited:
Yeah, seems to be the way with Tesla spec changes. It's a work salary sacrifice scheme so may luck out and find an in stock car. Have been in a Model Y and EQB, iX3 is a known but have only seen about 5 EV6s in the wild so a bit of an unknown.

Back
Top Bottom