When are you going fully electric?

Still all a bit shocked on that front - official statement coming soon I hope.

Regarding XJ; Shame really as would have been impressive in the current market - the final Calum/Thompson product looked awesome.

I didn't understand that either, especially as Merc and BM are now releasing large saloon evs.

assuming they'll up the ICE VED to £300+ for any car

If they were going to do that, they'd have said so as part of the same announcement.

The VED system is not CO2 based anymore after the first year (Which forms part of the on the road price anyway), so presumably it'll be the same as it is for all vehicle types, including the surcharge for cars with a list price of over £40k.

Last edited:
If they were going to do that, they'd have said so as part of the same announcement.

The VED system is not CO2 based anymore after the first year (Which forms part of the on the road price anyway), so presumably it'll be the same as it is for all vehicle types, including the surcharge for cars with a list price of over £40k.

It is the first year that is important, as all new car sales are first year and they'll still be wanting to drive the change via savings. So if they up the brackets, which looks likely, then the current 0g bracket will be the £35+, and the others get bumped up accordingly including the premium £40k fee, which may also go down (£35k) or up (£45k) given the changes are in 2025 for BEV's

I don't think the first year is that important at all - it's included in the list price of the vehicle and most people don't even notice it. It'll have the effect of slightly increasing the list price, but the majority of people buying any car don't pay for it outright up front anyway and the effect on monthly payments over the term will be very small. I agree with you that any increase here will probably be small as it remains Co2 based.

What they do notice, however, is the annual vehicle excise duty bill, especially if it's more than £500 a year which currently any £40,000+ conventional car is....

Last edited:
Will 45% windfall tax on renewables generators have implications on cheap TOU electrcity contracts
(if you have a tax may want to demand more on your resource)

Any thoughts on the MG4?

Price seems too good to be true for what you get. Reviews seem pretty positive as well, though I am sure there will be teething troubles ...
Some have suffered from an oil leak caused by a too short a breathe pipe.
I've had a mg5 for 16 months and no problems so far, for 23k brand new nonetheless.

Any thoughts on the MG4?

Price seems too good to be true for what you get. Reviews seem pretty positive as well, though I am sure there will be teething troubles ...

I had my second test drive today, first one was ~8 miles with the dealer on a prescribed route whilst todays one was ~4 hours extended test drive where I could do whatever. I quite like it, not got a huge amount to compare it to but not sure I'd want to spend more really so it's either that or nothing right now and it seems to tick all the boxes.

I'm looking at/will probably get a Trophy spec one and that's what I test drove as well.

Range wise it seems to get what you'd expect, today I got 3.7 miles/kWh doing 58.9 miles at an average of 40mph including a stretch of about 20 miles on the motorway sat at 70. Comfort and general stuff is fine for me but that's coming from a 2006 MX-5, hardly the height of luxury and refinement :cry: Sound system was decent enough today playing some tunes and road/wind noise at 70mph was more than good enough. The built in Sat Nav was 'ok' but as it has Android Auto I used that and it's obviously better (and doesn't require the Trophy spec):p

Some downsides though in that I wasn't overly impressed by a lot of the driving aid stuffs like Adaptive Cruise Control (kinda jerky even on the motorway, one phantom braking event that was on a 40 mph A road), didn't try the Lane Keep Assist as the internet says it's useless but did try the 'Traffic Jam Assist' part of the ACC which does much the same, it was ok but not something I liked using.

And there are 'teething' issues, as mentioned the oil leak which seems to have a solution, maybe, but also some software issues. The Trophy has a camera for driver 'drowsiness'/awareness monitoring and it's way too sensitive, just looking in the mirror has it nagging at you, but currently it seems like they're not fitting it to Trophy cars anymore and it was never on the spec for the SE. Also several software issues/annoyances but frankly I didn't get any of them in either test drive.

Overall I think it's a pretty decent car and doesn't really have much competition given the price/range it seems, like I said after reading the mgev forums a lot and spending a few hours with it today I'm still probably going to go ahead and order one early next week I think.

Any thoughts on the MG4?

I've changed my Cupra Born order for an MG4 so I guess in a reasonable place to comment.

Honestly they're a really decent little car overall, with the main caveat being you need to remember the price (compared to other golf sized EV's)

I personally think they look good, quite like the interior overall, they drive pretty nicely and are fairly well equipped in trophy spec.

Downsides I would say are that the seats feel really cheap, the choice of interior materials in some areas can only be compared to a 10 year old fiesta (note this is the case with most EV's in this sort of class), the boot is a touch small and I'd like a bit more power (50-60bhp would be ideal).

If you're after this size of EV or are looking as a company car / salary sacrifice on a good monthly rate then you'd be mad to ignore them as an option, however if you don't mind spending more then something like a c40 or even EQB is much nicer inside (at an obvious cost)

Back
Top Bottom