When are you going fully electric?

EV running costs totally depend on the owners use case:
  • Expensive : 25p+ per mile - charging using public chargers
  • Cheap : ~2p per mile - charging at home using off-peak tariffs (majority of EV owners)
  • Free : 0p per mile - charging using home solar.
I‘m a mix of cheap and free - When the sun isn’t shining I charge overnight on Octopus Go. During the Spring & Summer I mostly charge off solar.
All this means a year of motoring (about 13,000 miles) has cost me about £235, about 1.8p per mile, in a 400bhp car.

52493783238_f46e72fbe0.jpg

Not for long there will be road tax and will see if electric car is the future.

A ’road tax’ on EV’s costing a few pounds a month is going to make zero difference to most.

Last edited:
Just been anounced, they will be taxed at the next budget according to the Daily Fail. Diesel Gate all over again, the government have proved again they are at war with the motorist.
Surely not a surprise to anyone? It had to happen at some point. The zero tax was an incentive to encourage adoption, but now with legislation in place to enforce adoption and manufacturers replacing their entire range with EVs, that incentive is no longer required.

It wouldn't be sustainable to have zero tax for EVs when they comprise a majority of road vehicles.

Last edited:
Some quick maths comparing my previous car (2017 Golf R Estate) and my Tesla M3 Performance

8000 miles of fuel: £3000 (24mpg super unleaded) Vs £200 (mostly 7.5p kWh 3.5-4 miles per kWh)
Road Tax (VED): £150 Vs £0
MOT: £50 Vs £0
Service/Repair: £400 (Guess) Vs £0
Devaluation: £2000 Vs £4000
Tyres assumed the same as the golf is 250kg lighter but had more wheel spin.

Total: £5,600 (Golf) Vs £4,200 (Model 3)

Now there is an opportunity cost of the £36,000 extra I had to spend. Although the shares I sold are looking pretty bad right now.

So yeah I am pleased with this, I literally only purchased the Model3 for it's performance and tech, so a saving is just a bonus.

Adding in road tax (VED) won't make a significant difference.

The price of electric has increased by 0.5p per mile (home charging), but petrol is currently sat at 2p per mile more compared to last year. This puts the significance of VED cost into perspective as the petrol increase over electric in a single year was almost as much as the VED.

Last edited:
Some quick maths comparing my previous car (2017 Golf R Estate) and my Tesla M3 Performance

8000 miles of fuel: £3000 (24mpg super unleaded) Vs £200 (mostly 7.5p kWh 3.5-4 miles per kWh)
Road Tax (VED): £150 Vs £0
MOT: £50 Vs £0
Service/Repair: £400 (Guess) Vs £0
Devaluation: £2000 Vs £4000
Tyres assumed the same as the golf is 250kg lighter but had more wheel spin.

Total: £5,600 (Golf) Vs £4,200 (Model 3)

Now there is an opportunity cost of the £36,000 extra I had to spend. Although the shares I sold are looking pretty bad right now.

So yeah I am pleased with this, I literally only purchased the Model3 for it's performance and tech, so a saving is just a bonus.

Adding in road tax (VED) won't make a significant difference.

The price of electric has increased by 0.5p per mile (home charging), but petrol is currently sat at 2p per mile more compared to last year. This puts the significance of VED cost into perspective as the petrol increase over electric in a single year was almost as much as the VED.
my model 3 mot still cost me full price, so £54 for that!
3 years and 4 months old now, but still compleatly happy
looking forward to more updates and expanding capanblity of the self driving. soon.tm

if the government road usage tax consultation does similar ratio to New Zealand ~60c/l duty petrol versus $76/1000km electric, 8K miles would be ~£1K,
Golf R is obviously higher fuel user than most, nonetheless, ev running cost benefit remains.

You ban bet your bottom dollar BIK rates will be going up shortly, rising quite quickly back to current ICE levels in the run up to 2030/35. I expect ICE rates will rise anually to simply price ICE Company cars off the road.

Job jobbed and loadsa tax from anyone left running an ICE company car.

could adopt German BIK solution - novel idea - BIK benefit if you use car for company business.
From 1 January 2020, the private use of electric company cars with a gross list price of up to 65,000 euros, which are used more than half for business purposes, will only be taxed monthly at 0.25 percent of the gross list price as a non-cash benefit (§ 6 para. 1 no. 4 p. 2 no. 3 and p. 3 no. 3 EstG). For hybrid electric vehicles as well as electric vehicles with a higher gross list price, the 0.5 per cent rule remains in force (§ 6 para. 1 no. 4 p. 2 no. 2 and p. 3 no. 2 EStG). For petrol and diesel models, the one per cent rule continues to apply

Highly unlikely but then the bot doesn't have the common sense algorithm! Literally would change nothing for private buyers, there is nothing novel about that I'm afraid.
you don't seem to understand that if (all) the tax payers are subsidising fleet ev's the demand goes up and the dealers charge more, you're(they're) gimping the market.
unlike germany, it's not even the case that the purchase money goes back into the UK economy, it's just imports, trade deficit.

You don’t understand BIK today is 2% yet citing Germany as a good example to follow which has the lower figures you just mentioned. Give over on the lecture. Very few people would use private cars and insure for business use, if they did you would stick with ICE and rinse 45p/mile. I did for 8years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom