When are you going fully electric?

Why is ev insurance so expensive? Getting my m4 insured - £800, Tesla model y - 4k + quotes???

Insurance costs are based on a number of factors like your location, age, sex, driving history and more.

But what has the biggest impact is the vehicle model itself. Insurance companies use historical data to work out things like: cost of repairs of this vehicle in accidents, likely hood of accidents for type of people who drive this vehicle, likely hood of thefts or damage, replaced value of vehicle etc

So given these factors, the most likely ones resulting additional cost for your new car is one or more of these: your new car is worth more, your new car is more expensive to repair, your new car is more likely to be stolen or damaged and your new car is on average driven by lower quality drivers.

Last edited:
Audi just announced the refreshed 'Q8 E-tron'

Bigger batteries seems to be the main thing. 89kwh in the 50 and 104kwh battery in the 55.

Yep, take a massively inefficient car and make it 'better' by putting in bigger batteries. Pity it is only a refresh and not a new ground up ev.

Insurance costs are based on a number of factors like your location, age, sex, driving history and more.

But what has the biggest impact is the vehicle model itself. Insurance companies use historical data to work out things like: cost of repairs of this vehicle in accidents, likely hood of accidents for type of people who drive this vehicle, likely hood of thefts or damage, replaced value of vehicle etc

So given these factors, the most likely ones resulting additional cost for your new car is one or more of these: your new car is worth more, your new car is more expensive to repair, your new car is more likely to be stolen or damaged and your new car is on average driven by lower quality drivers.

I get that, but I doubt the rudeboi racer driver demo are likely to drive an m4 than they are a tesla model y? I've also plugged in my dad's details to check and it's about the same price. Tested renewal on the M4 which has also seemed to increase.... might just be that insurance costs more this year?

I get that, but I doubt the rudeboi racer driver demo are likely to drive an m4 than they are a tesla model y? I've also plugged in my dad's details to check and it's about the same price. Tested renewal on the M4 which has also seemed to increase.... might just be that insurance costs more this year?
Insurance on Tesla’s is really high at the moment. Combination of group 50 and high repair costs.

You don’t normally get people who are not looking for a performance car behind the wheel of something that does 0 to 60 in 4ish seconds. I imagine plenty have been binned by their owners finding that out the hard way.

Yep, take a massively inefficient car and make it 'better' by putting in bigger batteries. Pity it is only a refresh and not a new ground up ev.

i thought it now had one of the lowest drag coefficients of any car plus they have made the motors more efficient and more powerful gaining there as well as putting a bigger battery in them. 373 mile range is good. I would be happy having one.

Last edited:

You've missed one of the biggies which is just lack of data, so they have to hedge their bets in their favour.

My premium (March renewals) was £383 last year for my 2020 Model 3, which is about half what it was the year before. All those other factors haven't changed much - and in fact the price of the car is higher than brand new - but there's far more data.

i thought it now had one of the lowest drag coefficients of any car plus they have made the motors more efficient and more powerful gaining there as well as putting a bigger battery in them. 373 mile range is good. I would be happy having one.
I actually really like the car too. I just very much doubt you'd get more than 250 miles out of it in winter, which to be fair is probably enough for anyone given it charges at 170kW

250 miles in winter is more that good enough. Plus they have added tonnes of teach, 5 LiDAR plus loads of cameras. I’m sure I read it’s got More self driving tech in it than a Tesla.

Oh, I'm not saying it is a bad car as such. just that it could be so much better if the efficiency was improved to the same level as BMW/Tesla, etc. It;s like the Hummer Ev in ths States - make it go far by putting in a 200 plus sized battery, nio by maximizing efficiency through weight reduction, etc.

As for drag coeffieceint, compared to the E-Tron, the Q8 E-Tron has a drag coefficient of 0.27, rather than 0.28 previously. The Sportback's figure drops to 0.24 from 0.26 for the earlier model. Mercedes Eqs has cd of 0.20. Of course, the suv Eqs SUV has a cd of 0.25 so the Sportback Q8 does very well.

Both sound good considering Polestar is making a fanfare about 0.29 on the Polestar 3.

Good Cd should make it more efficient at speed where most EVs fall over.

Drag coefficients aren't meaningfully comparable, effective frontal area is (frontal area X drag coefficient).

Generally I'd be more interested in miles per kW. But then that's also confused by all the factors involved, i.e. speed, weather etc.

yes - really want to know if tesla insurance premiums are less stable than other EV brands like VW (with more traditional architectures, too) - any ID3 owners like to comment.

Cost/availibility of a loaner EV in case of asccident, if your policy demands that, is another hiker.

Back
Top Bottom