When are you going fully electric?

I've changed my Cupra Born order for an MG4 so I guess in a reasonable place to comment.

Honestly they're a really decent little car overall, with the main caveat being you need to remember the price (compared to other golf sized EV's)

I personally think they look good, quite like the interior overall, they drive pretty nicely and are fairly well equipped in trophy spec.

Downsides I would say are that the seats feel really cheap, the choice of interior materials in some areas can only be compared to a 10 year old fiesta (note this is the case with most EV's in this sort of class), the boot is a touch small and I'd like a bit more power (50-60bhp would be ideal).

If you're after this size of EV or are looking as a company car / salary sacrifice on a good monthly rate then you'd be mad to ignore them as an option, however if you don't mind spending more then something like a c40 or even EQB is much nicer inside (at an obvious cost)
Thanks! Comprehensive write up, appreciate the effort. I was also set on the Born, then I found polestar 2. I'd love one of those but it's just a little too much for me, money wise (despite being not much more than a fully specced Born).
Yes, salary sacrifice lease is in play...
The money for the mg4 is compelling.

Last edited:
Went out for breakfast this morning and drove psst my local Arnold Clark. Right there on the forecourt was a bright orange MG4 (stands out like a sore thumb!). Given its always been a used car centre, it was odd to see it.

Popped over to take a look. Wound up talking to what I assumed was a sales person. But no. Apparently the area of the site with the MG4 is something that Arnold Clark are calling an "Innovation Centre". They have a large number of demonstrator hybrid/PHEV/BEV cars, but don't actually sell any of the models on site. Instead they are literally there to just talk to customers about electrification, show them around the cars and do test drives.

What an amazing idea. I got to take an MG4 Trophy out on my own for as long as I wanted (about an hour). When I got back, the chap asked if I wanted to go for a run in anything else; EV6, Megane E-Tech, a couple of electric BMWs or Mercs. Told him they were out of my price range. And his answer was that it didn't matter :eek: I declined as I didn't have time. Sum total of the "hard sell" was a follow-up email asking if I wanted him to put me in touch with one of their MG branches.

As for the MG - I'm thoroughly impressed. Tried the car on a range of roads and at a range of speeds. Efficiency over the hour run was 3.8 miles per kWh, which isn't bad for the time of year. Performance was punchy and the car handled well. I had heard that the interior is a bit cheap, but it wasn't any worse than my 2014 Leaf. On-board tech was better (particularly the driver aids), although I think the LKA needs tweaking (it's a little... suicidal at times) and the 360° camera isn't great (very strong fish-eye effect).

Overall, I think it's an amazing car for the price, considering how the market is right now. I've placed an order for an SE SR. Going to be a massive improvement in usability over a 70-mile range Leaf (and the MG4 is actually enjoyable to drive, instead of handling like a barge on wheels :cry:).

I’ve always said the Chinese are coming. You really can’t argue with these MG EVs for the money.

Indeed. Look at what they are doing with the Cyberster? Drop dead gorgeous sportscar EV with gullwing doors and Union Jack rear lights with a 497 mile range and a sub 3s 0-60 designed to compete with the MX-5 (so isnt going to be stupid money). Due out in 2024. I do actually think they will deliver on it as well.

Its actually built (although tamed down a lot from the prototype bull gullwing doors still there) and models are being tested in the wild and will be showcased next year. Price to be a "staggeringly good value for money" says MG Motor UK manager. Expected to be sub £40,000 in the UK.

Last edited:
It's a shame MG have cancelled the idea of the MG3 EV. I think small EV's are what is needed for mass adoption. I do like the look of the MG4 though, just a pity it's still so expensive.

I’ve always said the Chinese are coming. You really can’t argue with these MG EVs for the money.
Yes, but Chinese do need to be quick, EU(UK?) tarifs on batteries/foreign assembly will be increasing, not sure if spare parts might also be impacted; it's fortress europe, not unike bidens approach.

this too https://europe.autonews.com/automak...ariffs-chinese-automakers-carlos-tavares-says
“Very simply, we should ask the European Union to enforce the same conditions in Europe for Chinese manufacturers under which we, the western manufacturers, compete in China,” Tavares told journalists at the sidelines of the Paris auto show this week.

Tavares said Chinese brands must pay tariffs of 10 percent to import cars into the European Union, while European automakers pay tariffs of between 15 percent and 25 percent to import Europe-built cars into China.

It's a shame MG have cancelled the idea of the MG3 EV. I think small EV's are what is needed for mass adoption. I do like the look of the MG4 though, just a pity it's still so expensive.

Was an interesting comment that Kryten Robert L said in the last Ev review i saw him do, that the number of views basically scaled inversely to car size on their reviews.
The smaller the car the more views.

Was an interesting comment that Kryten Robert L said in the last Ev review i saw him do, that the number of views basically scaled inversely to car size on their reviews.
The smaller the car the more views.

I thought that was interesting too, i know for me i skip past any videos of the latest BMW, merc or whatever cars as they're just so wildly unobtainable for a normal person but stuff like the MG4, Ora or whatever are really interesting as that's something i might actually be driving in a couple of years.

Interesting that following, teslas earlier confidential radar announcement, they have a further extension to january, when writer thinks they will release new radar in the cars, maybe facing out from behind windscreen
reports of the radars death were much exaggerated

Absolutely loving having a BEV these cold mornings when it comes to pre-heating.

First world problems though - the heated seats can’t be activated remotely, only the heated steering wheel :(

Well that's me been and gone electric - 2 years and 33.5k miles.

Xelgtaf.jpg

So with the full energy use for ~33k miles its coming at 2.7p per mile which includes the public charghing too.

2.32 also is the grid energy consumed. So assuming the AC charging is around 85-88% and DC not too dissimilar as the charger also power the rest of the car systems its around 2.7mile/kWh is pretty decent for a performance car driven like the energy is 5.5p a kWh or something daft ;)

Interesting that following, teslas earlier confidential radar announcement, they have a further extension to january, when writer thinks they will release new radar in the cars, maybe facing out from behind windscreen
reports of the radars death were much exaggerated

To be fair Elon did say radar was a waste except hd radar which this is, so not conflicting

I suppose one of the advantages of electric in weather like this is not having to defrost by hand your car.

Farthing around in the freezing cold in the dark with an ice scraper and some de-icing fluid isn’t something I can say I have missed.

To be fair I've had that for a few years on my diesel automatics but guess not as widespread on ICE and seems more manufacturers limit its implementation. Feel anti social when i fire the other car up!
JLR is the exception for cabin pre-heat. No other car company AFAIK allows it. I had it on my XE 25t - it was the nuts, albeit technically I used it illegally as I was street parked.

Interesting thought from my mission of a drive home last night (on un-gritted roads) -

There were several non-AWD EVs really struggling. I guess the extra weight is pretty nasty in that configuration

Interesting thought from my mission of a drive home last night (on un-gritted roads) -

There were several non-AWD EVs really struggling. I guess the extra weight is pretty nasty in that configuration
Be interesting to see what config works best. I believe my Peugeot is FWD? Maybe a RWD EV would perform well.

I recall when I bought my C180 Coupe being advised to load the boot with builders sand lol.

JLR is the exception for cabin pre-heat. No other car company AFAIK allows it. I had it on my XE 25t - it was the nuts, albeit technically I used it illegally as I was street parked.
Quite a few cars come with aux heaters for cabin pre-heat, been around for years, still doesn't mean you avoid scraping as not all car will clear indicators and light clusters but at least you have less to do and a warm cabin.

Back
Top Bottom