When are you going fully electric?

I have had little problems with my M3P to be fair. I travel to Great Yarmouth here and there for work, that's 110miles one way from here, if I charge to 100% I get back with 20% battery. Charging is the issue really, it take a bit too long even on a 150KW charger, and there is only 2 of those close to me at a BP garage and as of now its expensive!

I have a home charger as well which is convenient and cheaper.

During the cold snap charging was poor on the quick chargers, normally 20 minutes turned into 1 hour, and pre conditioning the car is a bit of a pain and you need to remember to do it.

The car itself is great, the drive is great and so easy and relaxing. It's all about charging, make that easier and better and then its a win from me.
Jeez you were giving it the beans! I did a motorway drive a couple of weeks ago and did 50 miles with 23% usage with an M3P.

Their cars do look like an interesting proposition however, battery swap stations are the once piece of EV tech that I think try to solve a problem that could be more easily solved. It's a very bespoke system that is really quite complex, particularly if multiple models are going to be supported. I also noted that they seem to be manned and only work when the operator is present.

Compared to the alternative which involves just putting in more chargers in the right locations would be much cheaper and achieve a similar results. They are a great tech demo but I don't see them being used in the long run.

I'll be prepared to eat my words on that one in 5-10 years.

Compared to the alternative which involves just putting in more chargers in the right locations would be much cheaper and achieve a similar results. They are a great tech demo but I don't see them being used in the long run.

A Tech demo which has 1200+ stations and has done more than 10 million swaps in China?

Last edited:
Their cars do look like an interesting proposition however, battery swap stations are the once piece of EV tech that I think try to solve a problem that could be more easily solved. It's a very bespoke system that is really quite complex, particularly if multiple models are going to be supported. I also noted that they seem to be manned and only work when the operator is present.

Perhaps you'll find two tiers of BEV owners, those who don't mind spending time charging when they have to do it, and those that already find spending 5 minutes filling up with a petroleum based product is to long. I suppose it may be a bit of a USP for those on long distances regularly, 5-10 minute turnaround, especially if they have any at MSA's where there do it while you wait for and take a bathroom break/get refreshments and then park it in a completed bay for you.

They could certainly settle on a standard if they have enough users that other manufacturers may want to take on

Jeez you were giving it the beans! I did a motorway drive a couple of weeks ago and did 50 miles with 23% usage with an M3P
from what he wrote he'd done 2*110miles ? down to 20%

----

pertinent - can't see the kfc actual report V

South Korea's antitrust regulator said it would impose a 2.85 billion won ($2.2 million) fine on Tesla

The Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) said that Tesla had exaggerated the "driving ranges of its cars on a single charge, their fuel cost-effectiveness compared to gasoline vehicles as well as the performance of its Superchargers" on its official local website since August 2019 until recently.
The driving range of the U.S. EV manufacturer's cars plunge in cold weather by up to 50.5% versus how they are advertised online, the KFTC said in a statement on Tuesday.

A Tech demo which has 1200+ stations and has done more than 10 million swaps in China?

Perhaps a 'tech demo' is not giving it the credit it deserves. It still requires a fairly controlled environment and with a small selection of vehicles which all use a standard battery pack. The packs are up to 100KWh, that simply doesn't fit in a lot of cars on the road in Europe. The other thing to note is the battery lease model was a failure in the Europe and that's pretty much a requirement for this to work.

Perhaps you'll find two tiers of BEV owners, those who don't mind spending time charging when they have to do it, and those that already find spending 5 minutes filling up with a petroleum based product is to long. I suppose it may be a bit of a USP for those on long distances regularly, 5-10 minute turnaround, especially if they have any at MSA's where there do it while you wait for and take a bathroom break/get refreshments and then park it in a completed bay for you.

They could certainly settle on a standard if they have enough users that other manufacturers may want to take on

Perhaps, it will also come down to cost. A battery swap will be more expensive than a rapid charge if its sold as an arms length transaction. On top of the (multiple) rapid chargers, you need the swap station and 14 spare batteries.

NIO is burning through money at the moment which is understandable given they are building out. What's not entirely clear how much it will actually cost when they need to make a profit.

They are trying to licence it out to other manufactures and that's the only way I can see it taking off the the masses, otherwise their are just too many manufactures building too many platforms to make it work. That's the elephant in that room, is it a good idea to have the fundamental elements of all future vehicles to be licenced from Nio. At the end of the day, the Chinese government's almost unlimited money pit is why they have been able to do what they do.

Guy's I think I need your support. We need to:
1. Hunt down whoever coded the Pug app
2. Hunt down whoever QA'ed the Pug app
3. Hunt down whoever UAT'ed the Pug app
4. Murder them

The thing is absolute garbage. Invariably it doesn't work. It constantly logs out. And the last few days I have had cabin pre-heat on which for some reason interrupts the scheduled charge (00:30 start, you can't set an end time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) despite them being scheduled 7 hours apart...........................FML.
2023 no different. The app designer needs to be punished.

The car has a deferred charge schedule @ 00:30. Simples. Woke up the last two days to about 20 pence worth of charge going in. Super annoying.

I would be look forward to this instead of EV.
Would you be happy to pay around £6 per litre (before tax) to drive it though?

People often say solar farms are taking up extremely valuable farmland while people are starving around the world. It’s funny how they don’t mention that when it comes to synthetic fuels which will keep the fossil fuels companies alive for a bit longer. #tinfoilhat

Edit: too slow!

Last edited:

People often say solar farms are taking up extremely valuable farmland while people are starving around the world. It’s funny how they don’t mention that when it comes to synthetic fuels which will keep the fossil fuels companies alive for a bit longer. #tinfoilhat

They should ban alcohol to stop people starving. Imagine food prices!

Have you ignored ethanol production. That’s mentioned lots. But not sure Solar is

Have you ignored ethanol production. That’s mentioned lots. But not sure Solar is
Nope, I haven’t ignored it.

If you’ve never seen that argument used against a solar farm then I’m not sure what else to say. It’s literally the one argument every group uses when they oppose the next solar farm going in and every single one is opposed for that reason.

It’s used by both environmentalists and non-environmentalists when it’s convenient which is the funny part. Those that don’t want E10 use it because they prefer their dino juice pure and the NIMBYs that campaign against solar farms use it because ‘the environment’.

Last edited:
Fuel vs food regarding ethanol has been going on years so yes it has been mentioned in the context of fossil fuels. Let’s be honest. Solar farms are a bit of a crap idea in this country anyway and you can’t burn electrons

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom