When are you going fully electric?

I don't agree with the myth part, it's pretty easy to test yourself by dropping the temp of your boiler, I know what temp my boiler will and will not heat my home at because I've tested it.

Heat Geek and Skill Builder have plenty of videos on the subject, a lot of money over and above the cost of a heat pump is needed to be spent on older properties on insulation, altering the design of the property and introducing new problems

A heat pump requires bigger rads and pipework when compared to a gas boiler (due to the surface area needed) because of the lower flow temperature. You can't just drop your boiler temp and think it is the same. The only myth around them is that heat pumps don't work! Of course they work. Like everything else in life though, it needs to be done properly to work well. If your central heating system has cheapened out and used small rads and microbore pipework, you are going to have a bad time.

A heat pump requires bigger rads and pipework when compared to a gas boiler (due to the surface area needed) because of the lower flow temperature. You can't just drop your boiler temp and think it is the same. The only myth around them is that heat pumps don't work! Of course they work. Like everything else in life though, it needs to be done properly to work well. If your central heating system has cheapened out and used small rads and microbore pipework, you are going to have a bad time.

Thanks for the info, I had the rads fitted when I moved in and they are oversized for the rooms. I'm aware of the pre requisites for a heat pump, it only reinforces my point that they are far too expensive for most people, the prerequisites already add to the cost

Im a fan of modern tech, I want electric cars and heat pumps to be the solution to the problem, they aren't if people can't afford them and they are flawed compared to what they are replacing

The other side is cowboy installers are just going to whack them in as a direct replacement for a boiler without considering everything else and the heat pump will be even worse off than it would be if it was installed with everything else considered in an older house

The fact is heat pumps cannot heat an old house as effectively as a gas boiler and is much more expensive to install, older houses will need serious changes to their heating setup and insulation before a heat pump is installed making it even more expensive

Hopefully the technology will mature quickly and start to drop in price

Last edited:
Should be getting a temp car within a few weeks until the MG arrives, think these are mostly 40kw leafs so will be interesting to see how the two compare

Random thought I've had a few times on looking at reviews of new EVs (or cars in general) - there seems to be a constant complaint about climate controls being hidden within menus etc rather than a couple of knobs. While I'd prefer them to be constantly accessible I really struggle to see the big deal as I set the thing to the temperature I want, once and then leave it alone forever more. Not a habit I intend to change because I'm driving an EV, am I really missing something?

That's just it though as far as I can make out it has a relatively marginal impact on range anyway (Let's say 10 percent)?

Unless going on a journey where you really need to reserve as much charge as possible for faffing about / non working chargers at the end, which for me will be say once a month then who cares?

Last edited:
EV life. Where turning the heating up loses 20miles of range. Yes you will be playing the heating /aircon / speed / range tune every journey
lol a post about unintuitive menus for climate and you turn it into a moan about range.

Let it go and stop posting mate, life will be better

lol a post about unintuitive menus for climate and you turn it into a moan about range.

Let it go and stop posting mate, life will be better
It’s based on experience actually because someone asked if you need to change the temps and you do. often in the cold snap I had to turn heating off and slow down to get to my destination without stopping.

Not sure how fact becomes a moan? I guess that’s your own perception coming into it.

Loads of people moan about changing the temp on MEB cars in the dark cause the control isn’t lit up. However there are easy shortcuts on the touch screen. Just people moan about nothing. Like the lane assist which is very mild. People think it’s unsafe as it ‘yanks the wheel out of there hands’

So to summarise. Touch screens are the issue nothing to do with EV. But EV notice it as you become very aware of energy usage. Which is so odd for me as when I drive my 20mpg ICE I couldn’t care less and sit at whatever speed I like. Yet in the EV I’m trying to eek out every kw. Makes no sense :confused:

Last edited:
That's just it though as far as I can make out it has a relatively marginal impact on range anyway (Let's say 10 percent)?

Unless going on a journey where you really need to reserve as much charge as possible for faffing about / non working chargers at the end, which for me will be say once a month then who cares?
I set mine to auto 21c when I bought the car and have not touched it since. It even de-fogs automatically the front screen when it detects higher humidity.

This is just one of those hangovers from a gen 1 leaf. On a modern EV that has a battery larger than a few AA’s and a heat pump it’s really not something you consider. It’s it uses power, no the extra 10 miles range on a 200+ mile real world winter range (with the heating on) car is not worth switching the heating off for.

That’s the kind of impact it has on my car but it had a heat pump so the impacts are greatly reduced. Cars without heat pumps the impact is larger but again, it’s not an issue. Speed (E.g. >70mph) has a far bigger impact on range than anything else.

The fact is heat pumps cannot heat an old house as effectively as a gas boiler and is much more expensive to install, older houses will need serious changes to their heating setup and insulation before a heat pump is installed making it even more expensive

I always find it odd that people who live in 'old' houses wouldn't have good insulation anyhow, rather than peeing money up the wall with excess gas/oil usage. There is no excuse not having a well insulated house, and if anything over the last 12 months I bet more people are now wishing they had it done earlier/properly.

Back to BEV's though, since this is the thread about that, seems some of the used prices are finally starting to drop, not sure if it will stay that way over the next 6 months, but it is nice to see.

I always find it odd that people who live in 'old' houses wouldn't have good insulation anyhow, rather than peeing money up the wall with excess gas/oil usage. There is no excuse not having a well insulated house, and if anything over the last 12 months I bet more people are now wishing they had it done earlier/properly.

Back to BEV's though, since this is the thread about that, seems some of the used prices are finally starting to drop, not sure if it will stay that way over the next 6 months, but it is nice to see.
How do I insulate my 1902 house please.

I find it odd that people assume they know everything about someone

I've lived in a 1930's house with cavity walls filled and it was a nightmare for damp, I also can't afford to do it even if I wanted to due to other priorities

This thread is about BEVs yes but heat pumps are to boilers as to what BEVs are to ICE cars, a replacement that is more flawed than what it's replacing

I find it odd that people assume they know everything about someone

I've lived in a 1930's house with cavity walls filled and it was a nightmare for damp, I also can't afford to do it even if I wanted to due to other priorities

I also find it odd that you think someone thinks they know everything about someone, when it was a generalisation about the state of people commenting on the fact you need insulation. Are you upset and taking things personally for a reason? Not everyone needs to agree with your reasoning on something that you yourself have generalised, anyhow... convo done back to BEV's cheers for the laugh.

Back
Top Bottom