When are you going fully electric?

Anyone else see this weeks fifth gear recharged article on buying used ev's : leaf/i3/teslaS
they 'concluded' via on board diagnostics plugin that battery capacities had only declined ~8% over 80K miles - is that a legitimate measure ?
just because the battery accepts the charge, it doesn't mean draining it will provide only 8% less energy to the motor/wheels.

Anyone else see this weeks fifth gear recharged article on buying used ev's : leaf/i3/teslaS
they 'concluded' via on board diagnostics plugin that battery capacities had only declined ~8% over 80K miles - is that a legitimate measure ?
just because the battery accepts the charge, it doesn't mean draining it will provide only 8% less energy to the motor/wheels.

I once put 920ml of milk into a 1 litre bottle. Should I expect to get 1litre if I pour it out?

The diagnostics have a much smarter logic than you suggest looking at the current between the state of charge windows and the related voltage profiles of the modules/cell pack.

Awful to make stuff up, especially after an episode of 5th gear :cry:

Last edited:
Some will, some won't, much in the same way some will need a new motor, some won't, what is a definite fact is that all things age and batteries degrade, you don't know what that degradation is going to be. I do know some one with a dead Leaf but I also know plenty who have had dead engines, not going to stop me continuing about my day in blind faith that I am not going to be that guy and if I am that is what warranties are for.

At least the one and only redeeming factor with the leaf is that if a module does die, it’s really not difficult at all to whip it out and replace it unlike the more integrated solutions we have now.

Why don’t you tell us what it does mean then, instead of what it doesn’t :confused:
I don't fully know , which is why I raised the issue, but,
BMW on i3 can reputedly restore battery capacity with software, but car nonetheless does not restore original range, rather minimum battery before it cuts out is raised.
AFAIK the only way to test the remaining battery would be on the road, running until empty.

ironically in the article guy drove his used leaf some 18miles and that reduced reported range by 1/3 so he concluded range was now 50miles , not original 80, but they then suggested that the mechanics/diagnostic analysis was more accurate.

The i3 doesn’t restore battery capacity with software that’s not possible - physics and all that.

It would be doing one of 2 things, recalibrating the BMS following a maintenance cycle (E.g. the restored capacity was never lost, the BMS forgot where the top and the bottom was) or making available some of its reserved top buffer to hide degradation from the user.

The negative to the latter is that the car has a bigger battery pack than you can actually use. If they opened up the reserved top buffer from the start, the car would have more range when new.

Batteries need a reserved buffer at the bottom of the pack to stop them going too low and killing the cells.

Some also have a reserved top buffer so charging it to 100% isn’t actually 100% and removed the need to advise people only charge to 80 or 90 on the daily. Things like regen would also work at 100% charge and when the battery drops a few % degradation, it can be unlocked so range is maintained.

The downside is obviously less range which is a huge selling point.

I think most manufacturers just go for 100% means pretty much 100% these days.

Some also have a reserved top buffer so charging it to 100% isn’t actually 100% and removed the need to advise people only charge to 80 or 90 on the daily.

Yup My car is like this, 100% charge is only 75% of the battery, the rest is reserve, I guess it is such a high percentage because its a tiny hybrid battery that will go 0-100% daily and die very quick otherwise due to amount of cycles versus something with a larger battery.

Some also have a reserved top buffer so charging it to 100% isn’t actually 100% and removed the need to advise people only charge to 80 or 90 on the daily.
I think this is most cars right? Tesla were one who didn't really do that in the past I think, but big auto certainly have that buffer at the top with their models

Hmmm with the recent Tesla price drops and now the Tesla PCP/Loan rate has dropped back to 3.90% I think I may be trading my current 2019 Model 3 in for another one.

I can see why they've had a big surge in new orders with these price adjustments.

Hopefully getting my company car order finalised for a Model Y start of the week - had to wait out probation before I could order, handed my Polestar 2 back when I left my previous company... missing it big time considering be bought a 2016 astra in the meantime / to be a second car for my wife.

Hmmm with the recent Tesla price drops and now the Tesla PCP/Loan rate has dropped back to 3.90% I think I may be trading my current 2019 Model 3 in for another one.

I can see why they've had a big surge in new orders with these price adjustments.
3.9%? Must be losing money on that!

Back
Top Bottom