When are you going fully electric?

Probably reading nonsense on the daily mail again...

I saw some people on the Tesla owners group moaning about an article they ran the other day about someone who took their i3 on a long journey that should have taken 4.5 hours and it took 12 or something daft like that. They were moaning because the fail only used pictures of Tesla's queueing over Christmas in the article despite it having nothing to do with Tesla. Got to get those clicks....

To be fair, I wouldn't take a BMW i3 on a 4.5 hour each way drive either.

Did my first charge at a Tesla supercharger yesterday with the Cupra Born as there were no other rapids nearby. Pretty smooth process although having to get the app out to choose your bay isn’t really that convenient. Also had to use the ‘wrong’ side parking space but thankfully there weren’t many cars there so no issues.

£0.55/kWh which is pretty good, and averaged 60kW from a cold battery.

The point I was making is the decisions around conservation areas and listed buildings often results in bizarre decisions which seem to have little logic or reason behind them.

Just like denying the EV chargers in a not particularly well kept car park next to a hotel which happens to be a listed building.

I totally get the need to be sympathetic to listed buildings and the atheistic of a particular village but that doesn’t mean they should be stuck in the Stone Age either. Development that keeps these sites relevant, prosperous and fit for purpose should be permitted.

Let’s not forget, we are talking about equipment that could be removed without any trace should the need arise. That’s very different to say building an extension to the existing building.
I agree but that is not exclusive to EVs. It depends on who is on the rule making committee at the time it seems.

But making a grade 2 listed building an EV charging destination doesn't seem totally correct. And I'm sure you understand it's much harder to revoke planning than not giving it in the first place.

I agree but that is not exclusive to EVs. It depends on who is on the rule making committee at the time it seems.

But making a grade 2 listed building an EV charging destination doesn't seem totally correct. And I'm sure you understand it's much harder to revoke planning than not giving it in the first place.

Grade 2 listed refers to the building.
They could sell the carpark to another party and it wouldn't be associated with a listed building.

Most grade 2 listed buildings wouldn't have had a car park when they were built ;)

It’s also worth considering that actual proper stately homes (E.g. Chatsworth House) will need loads of this equipment in time to recharge all the wide range of vehicles that visit daily.

Sure you might get away with 1/3 of the car park with type 2 AC chargers but that isn’t going to touch the sides for a coach that’s driven 3 hours to get there and needs a charge to get back. Even on a ‘typical’ 300kw charger, you are talking about needing several hours to recharge a coach with 600-800kwh on board.

I’m not suggesting that they go and rip up their landscaped gardens to install a solar farm but a few rapid chargers in a car park are really not a big deal. Particularly when the equipment is no taller than a standard SUV and the transformers etc could be screened with relative ease.

I suppose you’re one of those hydrogen loonies?
No I’m quite happy to continue using internal combustion engines.
I think we should abandon net zero now we are no longer part of the EU and take a slower more progressive route into green power that doesn’t put us into energy poverty.
The first goal should be to be energy self sufficient.
The general move towards SUV type vehicles is also massively self destructive with regards to the environment.
Manufacturers should be encouraged to make super efficient vehicles not Chelsea tractors with huge engines.

They only make what people buy. Unless you wanna buy my Honda Insight stop preaching stuff you wouldn’t do.
I drive a 60mpg euro 6 Citroen Berlingo.
Yes the Honda insight proves it can be done - years ago

Well actually no, I am selling myself short with that comment. My wife drives a Berlingo. I walk or cycle to work.
I have commuted by cycle previously for 16 years solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
What impact does the panel think Zimbabwe’s ban on lithium exports will have on EV production?

No I’m quite happy to continue using internal combustion engines.
I think we should abandon net zero now we are no longer part of the EU and take a slower more progressive route into green power that doesn’t put us into energy poverty.
The first goal should be to be energy self sufficient.
The general move towards SUV type vehicles is also massively self destructive with regards to the environment.
Manufacturers should be encouraged to make super efficient vehicles not Chelsea tractors with huge engines.
lol you are so naive man. You reckon we can just stick up a load of job adverts for young lads who have the potential to earn £250/300 a day doing plumbing and electrical to get down a mine and start shovelling coal?

Net zero isn't nearly ambitious enough. I don't feel anything more than a plod in the current landscape.

EVs are just a better choice for a lot (80%+?) of individuals. No monging petrol stations for a start. I charge my car at my house on a 3 pin plug. Unfortunately they are still quite spenny but it is early days.

Our current energy poverty has nothing to do with EVs, btw.

lol you are so naive man. You reckon we can just stick up a load of job adverts for young lads who have the potential to earn £250/300 a day doing plumbing and electrical to get down a mine and start shovelling coal?

Net zero isn't nearly ambitious enough. I don't feel anything more than a plod in the current landscape.

EVs are just a better choice for a lot (80%+?) of individuals. No monging petrol stations for a start. I charge my car at my house on a 3 pin plug. Unfortunately they are still quite spenny but it is early days.

Our current energy poverty has nothing to do with EVs, btw.
It's you that's naive. The UK amounts to 2% of the worlds carbon emissions if everyone in the UK gave up energy useage full stop it wouldn't make a single iota of difference to world climate change.
It's a self defeating fools errand that is going to cost us billions.
How many elderly have died already due to rising energy costs?
There is only a limited UK electricity supply. I have said this from the very start. Our electrical distribution network is incapable of providing enough power for all these proposed EVs.
People are being paid to not use there electric supply so that we can power public transport! :o You couldn't write it. It's utter insanity.
Also please don't smugly think your EV is 'green' because it totally isn't. They may be green at the tailpipe but as you mentioned you are soon going to be powered by coal :cry:

I am not suggesting for a moment that we shouldn't improve, we should for sure, but this enforced move to EVs is a fools errand.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's you that's naive. The UK amounts to 2% of the worlds carbon emissions if everyone in the UK gave up energy useage full stop it wouldn't make a single iota of difference to world climate change.
Because we outsource all of our carbon to third/second world countries. It doesn't mean my daughter has a right to breath fresh air in the city centre.

Last edited:
What impact does the panel think Zimbabwe’s ban on lithium exports will have on EV production?

No one was getting it from there anyway for EVs! might effect mobile phones though.

Because we outsource all of our carbon to third/second world countries. It doesn't mean my daughter has a right to breath fresh air in the city centre.
Yes let's build the coal fired power stations in rural places that don't matter.
Wasn't my original view of the future bunny rabbits hopping about in London whist the coast of Scotland spews out pollution?

Cities are gridlock anyway, lets invent other ways of getting into the city. cycling, walking, public transport, affordable green taxis.

Yes let's build the coal fired power stations in rural places that don't matter.
Wasn't my original view of the future bunny rabbits hopping about in London whist the coast of Scotland spews out pollution?

Cities are gridlock anyway, lets invent other ways of getting into the city. cycling, walking, public transport, affordable green taxis.
Not sure what your point is

Back
Top Bottom