When are you going fully electric?

Yeah, I saw this as well, interesting video,, although to me it highlights that huge numbers of destination chargers is what we really need.

If the hotel/campsite/shopping centre/cinema/restaurant/etc. that I'm about to spend several hours at has 20-30 7/11kw chargers, then I don't need to use a rapid enroute, leaving them available for people who actually need them to complete their journey.

I do wonder why the chargers are left broken for so long though - rapids aren't exactly cheap to install, but while they are broken they aren't earning any money to pay for themselves?

two obstacles with that

1. the huge amount of time it takes to get the chargers connected to the grid
2. Local planning refusing permission in rural for example the ex stately home which is now a hotel not getting planning permission to have chargers in their car park.

2. Local planning refusing permission in rural for example the ex stately home which is now a hotel not getting planning permission to have chargers in their car park.

Any chance you can link the planning app for this example? Seems odd that 7kW AC chargers would get refused planning unless hey were bolting them to the facade of a listed building, and not using free standing posts etc.

two obstacles with that

Yeah, I saw that article, and it's absolutely ridiculous - whoever declined that permission should be fired.

However, unless I'm mistaken that was for a few tesla superchargers, which aren't really destination chargers.

Low power (e.g. 7kw AC) destination chargers:

A) Are significantly cheaper than high powered DC chargers, meaning many more can be installed for the same cost.
B) Have much lower infrastructure requirements (they basically run off standard mains power), meaning quicker and easier installation.
C) Are more reliable than DC chargers as its basically just a controller to turn the circuit on and off.
D) Are far more suitable for a hotel car park, since people will be leaving their car for extended periods; would you rather have a row of 50 7kw chargers, and could leave the car overnight, or 5 70kw chargers where you had to move after a couple of hours?
E) (applicable in particular to this case) Are much smaller and less conspicuous than a huge rapid charger - a row of pod points are barely noticeable alongside a fence or treeline - they just look like bollards, and there are various other even smaller models.

It's just another case of picking the wrong type of charger for the destination

That's literally the least accurate/reliable method of "testing" ever :cry:

guess that was an ironic post/like
eg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9R8HXSnD5Y or you can watch bjorns videos,
you need to establish how much total energy and mileage the ageing battery will deliver versus new,
if I were buying a 2nd hand ev from a dealer, think I'd be trying to evaluate battery wear during rejection window.

Well for the first time in over a year I had my first experience of a broken charger at a Tesla site. Thankfully there was another one free and the routing correctly showed there was one available. Still would have save a moment if it had an indicator, should have probably check the nav. So 11/12 chargers working

two obstacles with that

It's not even rural, the hotel is 5 mins from the M25 and next door to Harry Potter World. Look on google earth, its a massively built up area with the UK's biggest movie studio within walking distance.

Yeah, I saw that article, and it's absolutely ridiculous - whoever declined that permission should be fired.
This.

I'd normally agree as it is at a posh hotel but in this case I don't because of its location. Its a few mins away from the M25 and M1 and A41 and right next to Harry Potter World.

It's also desperately needed, the M25 around the M1 and A1 is grossly (and I mean grossly) under served. South Mimms services has queues of EV's during the day almost every day and has done for a long time (both Tesla and non-Tesla). The two grid serve chargers there have even been powered down due to a lack of grid capacity, its an absolute poop show there all the time. This site that keeps getting denied planning was meant to be open to all vehicles, not just Tesla.

Last edited:
guess that was an ironic post/like
eg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9R8HXSnD5Y or you can watch bjorns videos,
you need to establish how much total energy and mileage the ageing battery will deliver versus new,
if I were buying a 2nd hand ev from a dealer, think I'd be trying to evaluate battery wear during rejection window.

No. A single 18 mile trip is in no way reflective of the average mileage, because the conditions of that trip will have a huge influence, particularly over such a short distance. You could literally double/half the predicted range depending whether you were doing 70mph on the motorway at 0c or 20mph around town at 25c

Any chance you can link the planning app for this example? Seems odd that 7kW AC chargers would get refused planning unless hey were bolting them to the facade of a listed building, and not using free standing posts etc.

However, unless I'm mistaken that was for a few tesla superchargers, which aren't really destination chargers.

Low power (e.g. 7kw AC) destination chargers:

A) Are significantly cheaper than high powered DC chargers, meaning many more can be installed for the same cost.
B) Have much lower infrastructure requirements (they basically run off standard mains power), meaning quicker and easier installation.
C) Are more reliable than DC chargers as its basically just a controller to turn the circuit on and off.
D) Are far more suitable for a hotel car park, since people will be leaving their car for extended periods; would you rather have a row of 50 7kw chargers, and could leave the car overnight, or 5 70kw chargers where you had to move after a couple of hours?
E) (applicable in particular to this case) Are much smaller and less conspicuous than a huge rapid charger - a row of pod points are barely noticeable alongside a fence or treeline - they just look like bollards, and there are various other even smaller models.

I work with companies who operate rapids

It's all permitted development as long as it's not on the public highway ie. on private land used for parking.

Haven't read the original article but it's probably ********

I work with companies who operate rapids

It's all permitted development as long as it's not on the public highway ie. on private land used for parking.

Haven't read the original article but it's probably ********
It will not be permitted development if its in the curtilage of a listed building or in a conservation area. If you tick either of those two boxes all permitted development rules go out the window and full planning permission is required.

One of my relatives lives in a conservation area and can't put solar on their roof because they would be visible to passers by. The council will not allow it because it would be 'harmful to the character of the village' despite it being littered with huge SUV's parked all over the roads and them living in a new build house.

So you can build new housing and other buildings but you cant put solar on the roof if its visible from the road, totally bonkers. Houses on the other side of the road can have solar because it would be on the back of the house.

I'm not suggesting people are don't stay sympathetic to the style of existing historic buildings, but we have to modernise them and the buildings neat them to make sure they remain fit for purpose and useful.

At the moment it's like councils want our buildings and infrastructure to stay in the 19th century.

Last edited:
Irrespective of ev or not, unclear what the point is
The point of listed buildings?

I mean preserving some heritage is a good thing right, in the main

But objecting to EV chargers in the car park seems excessive. After all cars probably weren't invented when these buildings were constructed so it's already a change in use :D

The point of listed buildings?

I mean preserving some heritage is a good thing right, in the main

But objecting to EV chargers in the car park seems excessive. After all cars probably weren't invented when these buildings were constructed so it's already a change in use :D
I am unclear what the point born2sk8 was making. It seemed like a specific point to EV chargers but it was just the usual hoops for grade 2 and conservation areas.

I am unclear what the point born2sk8 was making. It seemed like a specific point to EV chargers but it was just the usual hoops for grade 2 and conservation areas.
The point I was making is the decisions around conservation areas and listed buildings often results in bizarre decisions which seem to have little logic or reason behind them.

Just like denying the EV chargers in a not particularly well kept car park next to a hotel which happens to be a listed building.

I totally get the need to be sympathetic to listed buildings and the atheistic of a particular village but that doesn’t mean they should be stuck in the Stone Age either. Development that keeps these sites relevant, prosperous and fit for purpose should be permitted.

Let’s not forget, we are talking about equipment that could be removed without any trace should the need arise. That’s very different to say building an extension to the existing building.

I’m just checking in for a gloat.
It seems the wheels are falling off the EV industry even quicker than I predicted.
Hope you are all enjoying your vehicles folks!
Remember, stupid is as stupid does!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom