When are you going fully electric?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see most of them go under.

Tesla are very much in the growth phase still but you can’t put them in the start up category anymore. That said the F150 lightning caught them off guard I think.

The companies I have a question mark over are, mostly because they are burning cash like no tomorrow and little sign of that changing:

Rivian - good product but they just can’t seem to scale and I think the F150 lightning surprised them as well.
Fisker - the phoenix of the car world
Faraday - interesting product but doesn’t seem to be catching on
Sono Sion - nope, not a chance
Aptera - concept is great but I can’t see them selling that well in the real world.
Light year - as above
Nio - will probably be fine, Chinese government backed at the end of the day.
Arrival - now left the U.K. I think and moved to America. Not going well.

Have I missed anyone?

Last edited:
Still a sudden huge drop which feels like not that long after they were raising prices. I seem to recall Elon on Twitter stating he felt disgusted Tesla have had to raise the price of their vehicles so much which gave the impression to me at least that it was manufacturing cost inflation causing rather than consumer demand as the main reason for the rises. I'm sure manufacturing costs haven't declined this fast. Tbh he does seem so full of **** sometimes :D, so prices were probably raised as at that time they knew they could get away with it.
Tesla grown very fast. While I'm sure they will survive, growing too fast had been the downfall of many a company in the past, when a market or their market changes. It's probably going to be difficult for car manufacturers for a while and won't be surprised to see one or more start-up EV car companies go under.

Economies of scale will reduce manufacturing costs - make more cars using the same implemented infrastructure and the cost per car comes down.
Tesla shipped 400k cars last QTR, a record for them, breaking the previous QTR at 300k cars.

^ Lucid :).

Lucid is defo going down.
They are burning though $bn's, and their business plan doesn't stack up. Every earnings call then have some ridiculous excuse as to why they massively missed projections. Can't be long before the Saudi's pull their funding on this.

Last edited:
Economies of scale will reduce manufacturing costs - make more cars using the same implemented infrastructure and the cost per car comes down.
Tesla shipped 400k cars last QTR, a record for them, breaking the previous QTR at 300k cars.
Probably wants to shift cars to get productions numbers up /share price so he gets some of that 100b back that he ‘lost’.

Polestar 2 2024 model seems to be getting a bigger battery and a Rear wheel drive model with 300bhp.

Single Motor Short Range
272bhp RWD, 69kWh
322 miles WLTP, 6.4s 0.62mph

Single Motor Long Range
300bhp RWD, 82kWh
394 miles WLTP, 6.2s 0-62mph

Dual Motor Long Range
421bhp AWD, 82kWh
367 miles WLTP, 4.5s 0-62mph

Dual Motor Long Range Performance
476bhp AWD, 82kWh
367 miles WLTP, 4.2s 0-62mph

Obviously it won't get anywhere near WLTP figures, but WLTP figures on my Dual Motor is 292 miles with a 78kWh battery

So 4kWh increase to size and 70 more miles...I assume the motors are getting an update as well.

Polestar 2 2024 model seems to be getting a bigger battery and a Rear wheel drive model with 300bhp.

Single Motor Short Range
272bhp RWD, 69kWh

Single Motor Long Range
300bhp RWD, 82kWh

Dual Motor Long Range
421bhp AWD, 82kWh

476bhp AWD, 82kWh

Obviously it won't get anywhere near WLTP figures, but WLTP figures on my Dual Motor is 292 miles with a 78kWh battery

So 4kWh increase to size and 70 more miles...I assume the motors are getting an update as well.
Looks good. Even with a reduction of 20% from WLTP figures you are getting to the level of range that means even the most rabid 'drive until I drop' diesel drivers can't deny that they have to stop and pee...

alternative of Skoda enyaq coupe RS - it's profile certainly makes it look less SUV - with DCC too
(this guys got some other good reviews c300e, lci 330e update)

Just googled the XC40 changes, and another benefit should be this:

"Charging speeds have been increased, too. Twin motor cars can now take on power at 200kW (up from 150kW), cutting the 10-80% battery charging time by 10 minutes to 27 minutes."

Looks good. Even with a reduction of 20% from WLTP figures you are getting to the level of range that means even the most rabid 'drive until I drop' diesel drivers can't deny that they have to stop and pee...

Don't forget they also racing pitstop, exiting every road, never queuing, always paying at pump, and back in traffic and up to speed within 2 minutes ;)

I hit peak last night of 104kW. Still took 14mins to get 22kWh at the bargain price of 79p/kWh.

You aren’t ever going to fill up a EV like an ICE so you need another benefit and it certainly isn’t cost.

Last edited:

Single Motor Short Range
272bhp RWD, 69kWh

Single Motor Long Range
300bhp RWD, 82kWh

Dual Motor Long Range
421bhp AWD, 82kWh

476bhp AWD, 82kWh

I'm tempted to cancel my Polestar 3 order and get another P2, saving me about £200 a month.
As much as I'd like a P3 I'm doing less miles now, so most of the time my car is sat on the drive.

Really need to start rolling out V2L or V2H to really benefit from the EV battery, especially in Winter when solar drops and my home storage battery is about 6 kWh short. [With a 75 kWh battery on the drive doing nothing :(:mad:]

Last edited:
Just googled the XC40 changes, and another benefit should be this:

"Charging speeds have been increased, too. Twin motor cars can now take on power at 200kW (up from 150kW), cutting the 10-80% battery charging time by 10 minutes to 27 minutes."

Any increase is a benefit but i'm more interested in the average charging speed from 10-80%, not the peak, which typically only lasts for a few %, in ideal conditions.
The current P2 averages about 86 from 10-80% [beyond 38% it drops below 100].

That’s a really interesting update to the P2.

One of the things which made me pick the Model 3 over the P2 was its range, power, charging speed and RWD (over FWD).

These changes to the standard range P2 put it slightly above the Model 3 in terms of core performance. The P2 is more expensive but that is not always the motivator and competition is good.

Last edited:
I use CVSL to lease my current 350kw Dual Motor with Pilot/Plus.

I asked him for a price for the 82 kWh version and it's literally double what I am paying.

Think I'll just put up with the smaller range for another year!

Back
Top Bottom