When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Fully electric!
(Well, apart from what's in the garage...)
Cars.jpg

Soldato
i would love to have a go in that volvo.

my parents next car will likely be their last and they want something not to big for tootling about town, but big enough to do the 200 mile drive to see me.

i want them to get something with as many driver aids as possible for when my dad is on the motorway (he is 78, and whilst he wont admit it i think the long journey is becoming a challenge)....... when they do upgrade i am thinking if the driver assists are decent in them that volvo or a cupra born/ID3 could be a good fit for them.

Associate
i would love to have a go in that volvo.

my parents next car will likely be their last and they want something not to big for tootling about town, but big enough to do the 200 mile drive to see me.

i want them to get something with as many driver aids as possible for when my dad is on the motorway (he is 78, and whilst he wont admit it i think the long journey is becoming a challenge)....... when they do upgrade i am thinking if the driver assists are decent in them that volvo or a cupra born/ID3 could be a good fit for them.
My dad is in a similar situation, they just got rid of the 15 year old golf I originally bought in 2011 and handed down, and got a Tesla with a zappi home charger, they couldn't be more chuffed tbh the golf was really showing its age. I feel much more comfortable with them on the road with all the driver assist bits they come with.
One of my colleagues just got the volvo, he's pretty pleased with it.

Associate
First impressions are that the driver aids are quite unintrusive, also easy to turn off. The Volvo's cabin is a lot nicer than the ID.3.
Just need to get used to the central display, can't see that being a problem tbh.

Soldato
it is frustrating....... its not unique to here however. it has gotten to the point that i just dont talk about cars at work any more because every little issue i have - which can be related or totally unrelated to it being an EV.... i get the smug shake of the head with .... EVs are just not good enough!.

(I actually got a warning from my manager when i actually said FFS! in the office -it was a knee jerk reaction and was louder than i meant to - when someone started going off on one about EVs causing fires and using that airport car park fire as a prime example - you know, the one started by a diesel!.. I went so far as to find the video of the car on fire and even bought it up on the tax website and the response i got was.......... well it *could* have been an EV!. )

hence........ i keep out of work car chat now
Im not a fan of EV's and would have liked if Hydro fueled cars where more popular

Soldato
Im not a fan of EV's and would have liked if Hydro fueled cars where more popular
well you are entitled to that view..... I don't share it mind you but to each their own.
truth be told I like V6/V8 or turbocharged petrols. I just don't think it can be justified still making them as they are just so inefficient.

I feel the same with hydrogen. we have far better uses for H2 than burning it imo

Last edited:
Soldato
There are also problems with the general usability of hydrogen pumps which people don't really talk about. They are fast on paper but only when measured by filling one car, they can't handle the same throughput of cars that a petrol and diesel pumps can because of how they work.

If the hydrogen is delivered in liquid form it has to be turned back into a gas which limits throughput. It then has to be compressed and cooled before it can be loaded into your car. The hydrogen has to go in very cold so it doesn't damage the tanks as they are pressurised. The hydrogen cools the nozzles to below freezing and as soon as you disconnect from the car, all the moisture in the air forms ice on it and they can freeze solid. It's a problem in the dry California sun, it gets worse over here with our damp humid climate and its even worse in colder countries like Norway. After filling a couple of cars, you may have to wait for the nozzles to defrost so you can use them again.

Remember when one of the Toyota execs were claiming that women couldn't use EV chargers because the cables were too heavy? Most blokes would have problems with a partially frozen hydrogen nozzle...

Last edited:
Soldato
Care to explain why?
With hydro, we can convert all of the pumps to take hydro fuel so infrastructure wise it is a easier way to do it rather then converted all to electric and to also convert most of the roads to have electricity sockets to charge for people with no driveway as well.

Also, if we all used electric cars then can our national grid support the demand for them without power cuts etc?

Hydro I assume will also be slightly easier to convert a petrol car to do it apparently but I think it's very difficult to convert a petrol car to fully electric.

Also, hydro cars will be lighter then ev cars so that's a added bonus.

What do you think?

Are you against hydro?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
There are also problems with the general usability of hydrogen pumps which people don't really talk about. They are fast on paper but only when measured by filling one car, they can't handle the same throughput of cars that a petrol and diesel pumps can because of how they work.

If the hydrogen is delivered in liquid form it has to be turned back into a gas which limits throughput. It then has to be compressed and cooled before it can be loaded into your car. The hydrogen has to go in very cold so it doesn't damage the tanks as they are pressurised. The hydrogen cools the nozzles to below freezing and as soon as you disconnect from the car, all the moisture in the air forms ice on it and they can freeze solid. It's a problem in the dry California sun, it gets worse over here with our damp humid climate and its even worse in colder countries like Norway. After filling a couple of cars, you may have to wait for the nozzles to defrost so you can use them again.

Remember when one of the Toyota execs were claiming that women couldn't use EV chargers because the cables were too heavy? Most blokes would have problems with a partially frozen hydrogen nozzle...
Its not perfect but with the right brains it could be improved.

I assumed you and others also had the same reservations with ev saying how batteries are inefficient, dangerous and take a day to charge etc etc but look where we are now.

Ev can charge in 30 mins fast charge or less?

Ev are efficient and y can get around 300 miles on it at average?

Just like ev, we as humans could if we was bothered to address all of the stuff you have highlighted

Associate
With hydro, we can convert all of the pumps to take hydro fuel so infrastructure wise it is a easier way to do it rather then converted all to electric and to also convert most of the roads to have electricity sockets to charge for people with no driveway as well.

Also, if we all used electric cars then can our national grid support the demand for them without power cuts etc?

Hydro I assume will also be slightly easier to convert a petrol car to do it apparently but I think it's very difficult to convert a petrol car to fully electric.

What do you think?

Are you against hydro?

You can just convert petrol pumps and storage tanks to support liquid hydrogen? Really?

Not everyone will be charging their car at the same time.

Why are we talking about converting cars? Who is doing this?

Weight isn't really an issue anyone cares about at this stage as it's pretty much meaningless.

Hydrogen fuel cells as a concept are great and I like them - I was driven round in a Toyota hydrogen taxi in Paris. In practice, the generation, storage, transfer and use of liquid hydrogen by the general public makes it a non-starter.

Associate
Could that be from a eco damaging source that is similar to where we get electricity?

We will need more eco damaging pylons https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68601354

Plus there also is deep-sea mining https://www.dw.com/en/underwater-mining-to-extract-lithium-cobalt-threatens-biodiversity/a-65219511

There really isn't any sustainable way I know of that you can get hydrogen that doesn't require electricity to begin with, in which case just use that to power the car...

Soldato
You can just convert petrol pumps and storage tanks to support liquid hydrogen? Really?

Not everyone will be charging their car at the same time.

Why are we talking about converting cars? Who is doing this?

Weight isn't really an issue anyone cares about at this stage as it's pretty much meaningless.

Hydrogen fuel cells as a concept are great and I like them - I was driven round in a Toyota hydrogen taxi in Paris. In practice, the generation, storage, transfer and use of liquid hydrogen by the general public makes it a non-starter.
Of course you can. But the way you imply is that you assume we can just pour hydro into an existing petrol tank...

Nope u don't. Of course there needs to be some adjustments but that for the experts to work on, not u and I.

Not everyone charging there cars is true but some will and that will have an additional load on the power grid which was my point..

I did say weight was a bonus.

Ev was a good concept too and look where we are?

Soldato

What do you think?

Are you against hydro?

Works of you mix the “Hydro” with carbon.

Otherwise it doesn’t… hence we are where we are.

Associate
Of course you can. But the way you imply is that you assume we can just pour hydro into an existing petrol tank...

Nope u don't. Of course there needs to be some adjustments but that for the experts to work on, not u and I.

Not everyone charging there cars is true but some will and that will have an additional load on the power grid which was my point..

I did say weight was a bonus.

Ev was a good concept too and look where we are?

Ok, I'll assume you have no concept of how to handle, store and transfer hydrogen on the scales you'd need for mass transit adoption. Hint: there's a reason it has to be kept as cold as the universe and at stupidly high pressure.

Have you done any research into what our national grid can currently handle and whether any changes would need to be made to it, or are you just assuming it can't in it's current state?

Yes, it is a good concept and I like driving my Polestar 2. Your point?

Back
Top Bottom