When I was a youngster..

The Adventure Game was brilliant. Very high-tech for the time, with interesting puzzles.

The theme tune (Rondo by Carulli) was stuck in my head for years. I only found out what it was when it turned up in a guitar magazine many years later.*

*see also "Tales from the riverbank" theme which is Giuliani's Andante in C.

Last edited:
When I was a kid the first programme came on around 1pm called Watch With Mother with Bill and Ben, the Woodentops and other such delights.
It then went off again until about 5pm when stuff like Jackanory (JACKANORY) came on and then tele stopped at Midnight with the Queen.
You kids of the 70s don't know how lucky you were with 4 channels and virtually all day content :)

i remember limited TV, I remember the fist clicky remote control, and colour set.. also Brian Cant and Flowella Benjamin.. it’s funny I got to see Brian Cant later in life, not at as a kids presenter, but in a stage play. Very good too.

Last edited:
My kids are up at 7am.most morning's, they know not to wake me and the wife at the weekend, The have access to a decent selection of classic kids TV on my Plex server....

i remember limited TV, I remember the fist clicky remote control, and colour set.. also Brian Cant and Flowella Benjamin.. it’s funny I got to see Brian Cant later in life, not at as a kids presenter, but in a stage play. Very good too.
They were on Play School and the spin off, Play Away. He narrated Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley I think it was he was kind of ubiquitous on kids tv at the time, terrific presenter I have those on DVD, nostalgia trip heh

When I was a kid the first programme came on around 1pm called Watch With Mother with Bill and Ben, the Woodentops and other such delights.
It then went off again until about 5pm when stuff like Jackanory (JACKANORY) came on and then tele stopped at Midnight with the Queen.
You kids of the 70s don't know how lucky you were with 4 channels and virtually all day content :)
4 channels was the 80's wasn't it? Channel 4 wasn't around in the 70's.
"Bill and Ben, the flowerpot men" I was bit too young to remember it but apparently I loved it. I loved Jackanory. And all the kids TV you came home from school and were glued to the TV set until 6pm when news came on and you went for your dinner. Damn shame they completely eviscerated it and left american cable etc networks as the only option

Last edited:

My mum and dad used to rent their tv, with a slot meter on the back. They used it as a savings thing for other electrical items.
Also Grange Hill, I'm sure that the main entrance shots were fimed at my old school.( maybe mistaken on that.) Or they were considering it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom