When I was a youngster..

Associate
Also my mum recorded the Postman Pat and other programmes on video so I watched that too.

I had one of the Kelloggs bowls which were free with eating about 200kg of cereal.
No recording of programmes when I was younger, you had to put up with the parents choice of TV and only get to watch your stuff after school.

Soldato
Im sure they did.

Didn't they get back home in the end but returned back to the fantasy world? Cant remember why.

The cartoon reminded me of watching this around the sametime.

But I only remember Season 6, T-Bag and the Pearls of Wisdom.
Nope it got cancelled, there was a final script that didn't make it to air.

Soldato
In our house it was no TV in the mornings, maybe a bit at weekends but certainly not before school. We only had one TV in the house until I was in senior school and it was very much a go into the front room in the evening for a bit. I think my favourite show was probably Danger Mouse but I remember watching a lot of the things in this thread especially Garfield and Friends Thundercats and Inspector Gadget. Two others that stick in my head are Mysterious Cities of Gold and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors!

Now I had quite a few stays at grandparents which was totally different! TV anytime, a basket of chocolate bars to help yourself to and really unhealthy choices in dinners I always remember the (batter sausages battered in individual chunks and similar sized batter potatoes (scallops?))

With our very little one now we try to avoid screen time for her but sometimes she just needs her baby/toddler YouTube to distract her so she eats, hopefully she will grow out of it.

Soldato
No recording of programmes when I was younger, you had to put up with the parents choice of TV and only get to watch your stuff after school.
£630 my parents paid for their video recorder- Hitachi in 1981. Included 4 video tapes which cost £20 each. My mum found a shop selling 4 tapes for £55.

Last video recorder I had in 2002 cost me £55 (mid range) and blank videos cost £5 for 6 tapes

Soldato
Im sure they did.

Didn't they get back home in the end but returned back to the fantasy world? Cant remember why.

The cartoon reminded me of watching this around the sametime.

But I only remember Season 6, T-Bag and the Pearls of Wisdom.

They did, but like you say, they went back.

In the 27 episodes produced, no. Not permanently, anyway...they made it back in a few episodes, but always returned to the Realm for various reasons:

In "Beauty and the Bogbeast," poor Eric was under a spell that simply wouldn't break on Earth, and his friends rejoined him in the Realm rather than leave him there alone.

In "The Eye of the Beholder," and "Child of the Stargazer," the kids have a choice between going home and helping a friend, and the friend always wins out.

In "The Dragon's Graveyard," "Prison Without Walls," and "Day of the Dungeonmaster," the kids almost make it through, but Venger destroys the portal.

In "The Box," the kids DO make it home, but Venger follows them and wreaks havoc on the amusement park! The kids return to lure him back into the Realm before he gets the idea of taking over Earth into his head.

And in "The Time Lost," "Cave of the Fairy Dragons," "Citadel of Shadow," and "The Girl Who Dreamed Tomorrow," the kids (or their allies) destroy the portal themselves to thwart Venger's plans.

They did write a final script that was never made: https://soulofacarp.com/ReavesSite/requiem_preface.htm

"Throughout the series, a connection is suggested between Dungeon Master and Venger. At the end of the episode "The Dragon's Graveyard", Dungeon Master calls Venger "my son". The final unproduced episode "Requiem" would have confirmed that Venger is the Dungeon Master's corrupted son (making Kareena the sister of Venger and the daughter of Dungeon Master), redeemed Venger (giving those trapped in the realm their freedom), and ended on a cliffhanger where the six children could finally return home or deal with evil that still existed in the realm."

Requiem was never filmed, but it now exists in a fan-made form. The fan version uses a combination of existing animation from the series and artwork created specifically for the episode. The audio of the radio play version of Requiem is also present, with additional performances from fans used when necessary. Katie Leigh graciously reprised her role of Sheila for this episode.

There's also this:

Associate
Galaxy Rangers was also good and had a great soundtrack.

Starfleet what a great show and still holds up today.

StarCom was also good not sure if it’s been mentioned.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am the parent who makes my kids stay in bed until either myself or fiancee are up and about. To be fair I'm up every weekday at 6am and weekend at 8am at the latest. This is because my 13 year old daughter has mental health difficulties and needs supervision and my 6 year old struggles with the concept of time and has woke up.the whole house at 5am to watch YouTube lol you know the ones, stupid screeching technically adult people playing Roblox.

Man of Honour
When I was a kid the first programme came on around 1pm called Watch With Mother with Bill and Ben, the Woodentops and other such delights.
It then went off again until about 5pm when stuff like Jackanory (JACKANORY) came on and then tele stopped at Midnight with the Queen.
You kids of the 70s don't know how lucky you were with 4 channels and virtually all day content :)

Associate
Who remembers this from when you were younger?

image.png

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom