• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Man of Honour
Plus iR35 hitting truck drivers now and most of them have upped and left, leaving containers sitting around waiting to be delivered.

It's not just the closure of tax avoidance/evasion loopholes that's the cause of the shortage of lorry drivers. That's part of it, but not the whole. Brexit is another part of it. A fairly large proportion of drivers moving stuff in the UK were mainland European citizens and Brexit made it more trouble than it was worth for them to carry on hauling stuff in the UK. May as well just stick to the EU. There's enough work for lorry drivers within the EU - why bother with the hassle of working into post-Brexit UK? Then there's a general shortage of HGV qualified drivers. You can be away from home for a fair bit of the time and many people don't find that appealing. Pay wasn't particularly good. The work could be a major PITA. Would you fancy driving a massive lorry in an urban environment to deliver stuff to places? I certainly wouldn't. Then covid increased the demand for HGV drivers, which made of shortage of HGV drivers worse. The cost of training would put almost everybody off. It's a serious investment to earn an HGV license. For most people, it's an impossible expense.

Associate
If you think training as a lorry driver offers poor rewards try being an airline pilot - £100k to get the basic required licences, then pay Ryanair or Easyjet a further £25000 to learn to fly the Boeing or Airbus they operate and expect to earn about £25k -£30k in your early years (In fact at Ryanair you'll be on a zero hours contract and not even an employee. Compare that with HGV which costs £1500 to train and offers starting salaries of £54k at Waitrose!!

I find it incredible actually that there's a driver shortage with that kind of money on offer!!! How many jobs pay £54k? - not that many!

Birdseed007

Associate
It's funny because about 2 months ago in July I found a 3070Ti for £760 (about 25% over MSRP) and people here said I was crazy... now you'd be extremely lucky to find one for that price!

Now it's confirmed to me I made the right decision considering GPU prices have shot back up over the last month since we've just hit another "drought" which even Jensen Huang himself says could continue well into 2022... :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
If you think training as a lorry driver offers poor rewards try being an airline pilot - £100k to get the basic required licences, then pay Ryanair or Easyjet a further £25000 to learn to fly the Boeing or Airbus they operate and expect to earn about £25k -£30k in your early years (In fact at Ryanair you'll be on a zero hours contract and not even an employee. Compare that with HGV which costs £1500 to train and offers starting salaries of £54k at Waitrose!!

I find it incredible actually that there's a driver shortage with that kind of money on offer!!! How many jobs pay £54k? - not that many!

Birdseed007

£54k is not so great when you factor in you have to drive all over the country and to France and back basically driving a train on wheels which has 10 gears and takes like 30 seconds to go from 0-60MPH.

Associate
It's funny because about 2 months ago in July I found a 3070Ti for £760 (about 25% over MSRP) and people here said I was crazy... now you'd be extremely lucky to find one for that price!

Now it's confirmed to me I made the right decision considering GPU prices have shot back up over the last month since we've just hit another "drought" which even Jensen Huang himself says could continue well into 2022... :eek:
I regret not getting that card but thought it was the beginning of green shoots and prices of other cards would go down further. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Associate
My advice to anyone looking still is to do what I did and go AMD - I picked up a Gigabyte Radeon RX6800XT for £950 about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be more delighted and they're pretty widely available. FS2020, Star Wars Squadrons, Elite Dangerous are like a totally different sim now I am running everything on ultra in VR (HP Reverb G2) and getting 38-40fps solidly. I was circling around San Francisco Bay last night in a Pitts Special and the water and scenery was so just incredibly realistic - it was stunning! Everything I've thrown at the card has been handled with ease and I'm still struggling to get used to being able to max everything out in everything I try! I keep expecting stutters but they never come.

I had been waiting on an RTX3080 preorder for 9 months but they're still around £1200 and that's just too much of a premium in my book. I justified the £950 by saying realistically it's only £150 more than the RTX3080 I preordered that will probably never come and it's around £300 more than an RX6800XT will probably cost in 2023. Is it worth it to me to pay £300 extra to enjoy 2 years of gaming to the max right now and the simple answer is yes it is, that's only about £12 a month extra for 2 years of gaming heaven!!

Aside from ray tracing there's barely any difference in performance between the Nvidia and AMD camp, indeed the AMD is often faster in 1440P benchmarks I have seen. It is blisteringly fast compared to my old GTX1080 and frankly the AMD driver and overclocking suite is far better too. Note I haven't even tried overclocking yet - just haven't needed to!

Birdseed007

Associate
I get your reasoning but hell will freeze over before I pay c£1000 for a gfx card.
I need a 3080 as I play in 4k (max I would pay is £800) or nothing for me.
I'll keep trying for a fe drop (I keep missing them despite having telegram etc), otherwise I will carry on with my 1080 and wait for 4000 series by which time hopefully the chip situation will be resolved

Permabanned
The current situation is so dire.

RX 6600 XT retailing for the MSRP of an RX 6800 XT is more than insane. It's just unrealistic even in the hell.

Man of Honour
The problem is that enough people are paying vastly inflated prices. If a company can sell all the widgets they can make for triple price, they're rather unlikely to sell any at normal price. At most, it'll be a handful for publicity reasons.

Maybe Intel will decide to try to gain market share by undercutting the existing duopoly. Or maybe Intel will decide to just join them. 10% market share selling stuff at triple price is much more profitable than 30% market share selling stuff at normal price.

I understand that manufacturing and distributions costs have gone up, but the duopoly is current making record profits so increased costs is not the whole explanation.

Associate
Why do nvidea bother making FE in such small volumes. Why do retailers bother selling low volumes of cards at low prices? Is it an 'optics' thing?

Associate
You know there is a chip shortage right?

But nvidea sell the chips to scalpers. They could keep the chips and churn out FE editions if they wanted. Or sell all the chips to scalpers. Why have they chosen to keep a small percentage of chips for FE, and what dictates that percentage?

Usually it's most accurate to follow the money for an explanation.

Associate
I regret not getting that card but thought it was the beginning of green shoots and prices of other cards would go down further. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

That's really too bad because Autumn 2021 is looking like it will be one of the best periods in the history of gaming in terms of new games:

We have New World, Battlefield 2042, Farcry6, Back 4 Blood, Dying Light 2, Halo infinite, Age of Empires 4 etc

Back
Top Bottom