• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Caporegime
People said shipping had gone up causing it all... Smoke screen. It's all back to normal levels now, yet your prices are fixed. Weird.
TSMC price gouging went up look at their earnings
qCI6PhG.jpg
Up, Up and away they go. look at the blue line compared to 2019 pre covid.

super high profit margins are the new normal since companies got greedy during covid, they are all at it whilst claiming poverty and struggles

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Assembly cost isn't even in that figure because it's an estimate of the BoM. Plus R&D is impossible to quantify into a single product because you could've spent nothing or trillions on one model over another.

R&D is just the cost of doing business in some sectors, a bit like have a legal department, public relations, marketing, etc, etc.

Yeah. But most people reading such thing as BoM automatically think oh, that is exactly what it costs them not taking a bunch of other costs into account. Not trying to defend these companies by the way, they are both clearly over charging this gen. Yes, even AMD in my opinion. But Nvidia are absolutely taking the cake.

Looking forward to next gen cards myself. We will hopefully get meaningful upgrades in price for performance in the mid to high range. One should not have to part with a four figure sum in order to get that which is what these companies are clearly pushing for.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
qCI6PhG.jpg

super high profit margins are the new normal since companies got greedy during covid, they are all at it whilst claiming poverty and struggles

True. Let’s all buy a 4090 to make the blue lines even bigger :p:D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Then again everything could change fo r me, my 6900 XT arrives tomorrow.

Thought you said you was happy with your 3070 just a few days ago
:p

I have been fine with it, the level of performance I get from it is perfect.

Not perfect then. Must have run out of vram.

Permabanned
Thought you said you was happy with your 3070 just a few days ago
:p

Not perfect then. Must have run out of vram.
It is perfect, future prospective game requirements has my anus chirping.

Dead Space.

Recommended​

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X,Core i5 11600K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Geforce RTX 2070
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 50 GB available space

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is perfect, future prospective game requirements has my anus chirping.

Dead Space.

Recommended​

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X,Core i5 11600K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Geforce RTX 2070
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 50 GB available space

It ain’t perfect, you yourself said 8GB is not enough after testing a few games. It was far from perfect at £800+ you paid for it anyway. Was very good at £480 though :p:D

Good call upgrading however. The 6900XT at £650 is a much better deal and will easily see you through until next gen cards are out. That’s why I picked up a 3080 Ti for £575 to be honest

Look forward to soon see you in threads arguing 12GB is not enough if someone makes that thread :cry:

Permabanned
It ain’t perfect, you yourself said 8GB is not enough after testing a few games. It was far from perfect at £800+ you paid for it anyway. Was very good at £480 though 2 games.
RE2 at 5K with RT using the internal res increase on 1440P and he high res textures in FC6.

Neither detrimental to gameplay.
:p:D

Good call upgrading however. The 6900XT at £650 is a much better deal and will easily see you through until next gen cards are out. That’s why I picked up a 3080 Ti for £575 to be honest

Look forward to soon see you in threads arguing 12GB is not enough if someone makes that thread :cry:
Yes it is a good call, though I shall be testing drivers first.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Graphically demanding games at 3440x1440 use around 10-11gb based on my own observations with a 24gb vram card

I wouldn't want a gpu with below 12gb

Going forward it does seem like you need 12GB to be safe. That said I think most of what you are seeing is allocation rather that what is actually needed. For example COD games from 5-6 years ago also used as much vram as a card had, did not mean it was needed.

Permabanned
Going forward it does seem like you need 12GB to be safe. That said I think most of what you are seeing is allocation rather that what is actually needed. For example COD games from 5-6 years ago also used as much vram as a card had, did not mean it was needed.
LOL was crazy seeing that 3090 with 24GB Vram usage vs the 3070, same 4K res using 8 GB and both were at well above 150+ FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah. But most people reading such thing as BoM automatically think oh, that is exactly what it costs them not taking a bunch of other costs into account. Not trying to defend these companies by the way, they are both clearly over charging this gen. Yes, even AMD in my opinion. But Nvidia are absolutely taking the cake.

Looking forward to next gen cards myself. We will hopefully get meaningful upgrades in price for performance in the mid to high range. One should not have to part with a four figure sum in order to get that which is what these companies are clearly pushing for.
Yea i mean personally I'd double my guesstimate of the BoM to cover things like R&D, profits, and that sort of stuff so you'd be looking at around $1,500 for what I'd consider reasonable for a 4090.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea i mean personally I'd double my guesstimate of the BoM to cover things like R&D, profits, and that sort of stuff so you'd be looking at around $1,500 for what I'd consider reasonable for a 4090.

Not sure I would go that far. But yeah, more than 800 bucks probably :p

What I say is let them milk people with deep pockets and then release something more sensible for the normal folk. But this gen they don’t seem to want to do that either. I liked what they did with Pascal and Ampere. Turing and Ada not so much.

Soldato
Well when i say reasonable I'd consider anything more than that to be totally unreasonable, as in $1,500 would be the most they could charge before i said they're taking the widdle. :)

Reactions: TNA
Soldato

It even extends to food, apparently branded items in supermarkets have increased far more than the own brands. If it was just the underlying costs you would expect to see similar rises. The own brabds know they can't get away with it and the brands know some people will only buy their product (*cough* Nvidia) and can get away with taking the you know what. As my dad used to say the fastest way to increase your profits is to raise your prices.

Soldato
You'll never get exact pricing but i took a stab at the cost of a 4090 die a while back...

Call it $300 for the die, maybe add around £200 for the memory, another £200 for the SMD's and PCB, maybe £100 for the cooler and sundries, all in you're probably looking at around $800 for the total BoM. Like i said at the time I'd love for others to give their ballpark figures as mine could be way off for all i know. :)

By that logic, a Hollywood movie costs 74p to make - 50p for the blank bluray disk, 20p for the case and 4p for the paper inlay. Completely ignoring it's $170,000,000 cost to make.

Graphics cards have R&D and development costs. Nvidia's R&D budget is currently $6.31 billion per year which is an increase of 37.5% year on year. So next year's R&D will be approx $8.67 billion. They need to get that money back so expect a big increase next gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
By that logic, a Hollywood movie costs 74p to make - 50p for the blank bluray disk, 20p for the case and 4p for the paper inlay. Completely ignoring it's $170,000,000 cost to make.

Graphics cards have R&D and development costs. Nvidia's R&D budget is currently $6.31 billion per year which is an increase of 37.5% year on year. So next year's R&D will be approx $8.67 billion. They need to get that money back so expect a big increase next gen.
Erm, no. A Hollywood movie costs what it costs to make and a BoM is included in that, the bill of materiels to distribute it is an entirely different thing, that is unless you think Hollywood movies get made without using any raw materiels.

Do you even know what BoM is? I mean how would you even quantify the R&D costs for a single 4090? It's certainly not $6.31 billion.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know they R&D a lot more than gaming graphics cards right? the majority of their budget won't be anything to do with the 4000 series

Yes I'd be surprised if it's much more than just $1billion. It's still a cost that goes into making a product and it's something people on this forum always forget when they claim to know the cost to make a graphics card.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing the disproportionate rise in profits. I'm also not excusing the part that the gamer plays by enthusiastically paying the higher costs.

Posts like "Gibbo, when can we preorder the 4090?" months before release. This eagerness to buy something before the reviews without giving a monkeys how it performs or the quality. The enormous brand loyalty that people have.

And people wonder why Nvidia are increasing there profits so much. I blame the consumer for being so desperate to pay the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes I'd be surprised if it's much more than just $1billion. It's still a cost that goes into making a product and it's something people on this forum always forget when they claim to know the cost to make a graphics card.
No it's not, you just think R&D is part of the cost to make a graphics card when it's not just like marketing isn't part of what makes a product or your legal dept isn't, etc, etc.

What each company charges above the BoM is entirely up to them and why, in Nvidia's case, it would seem reasonable for them to charge roughly double the BoM for each card (roughly split between R&D, running the company, and profits).

Back
Top Bottom