• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Man of Honour
Not only for mid range or outdated tech. Flagship for £2k is not recession, crypto or pandemic. It's a genuine rip-off baseline to push whole range for huge margins. They did profit a lot from crypto, and as always from datacentre products hence they now don't care gamers anymore, just looking for profit and shareholders.

Which is why I think that prices will never return to a sustainable price point for PC gaming. As I've said before, I think that neither AMD nor nvidia give a rat's arse about PC gaming. Professional use is a more profitable market. Datacentre, rendering workstations, whatever. Cards for those applications have always been very expensive, far more so than cards for PC gaming. The profit margin on professional "graphics" (mostly non-graphical compute tasks nowadays) cards is immense.

One issue (from a graphics card manufacturer's POV) is that the increase in capabilities of graphics cards has been edging consumer graphics cards ever closer to professional use. It's still suboptimal to use a consumer graphics card in a professional workload, but there's an increasing degree of overlap. If the price gap between the consumer version of a card and the professional version of approximately the same card is large enough, there will be cases where the consumer version is bought instead of the professional version. It won't be a viable swap for all professional workloads, but it will be a viable swap for a non-trivial amount of them.

For example, an A6000 card is US$4650. A 3090 Ti is US$1100. A 3090 Ti has the basic specs apart from memory size. The pro version of the card has 48GB, the consumer version has 24GB. That's it. Same memory, same GPU, same pretty much everything. Probably the same manufacturing costs other than the cost of the extra 24GB of memory. Which isn't cheap but it isn't anywhere near $3550. The profit on the pro version (A6000) is vastly more than the profit on the consumer version (3090Ti). At least 5 times as much. And that's for a 3090Ti at current (very high) consumer graphics card prices, where $1100 doesn't even get you top end. Imagine what it would be like if the prices were at a level that was sustainable for PC gaming. Which is why I think they will never be at that price again. It's more profitable for AMD and nvidia to ride the gaming PC market into the ground, leeching off of wealthy hobbyists who'll pay any amount of money as the swansong of PC gaming. It might look like killing the goose that laid the golden eggs, but in this case the "goose" of consumer graphics cards is a threat to the much more profitable "herd of golden egg-laying ostriches" of the professional compute/graphics market.

Man of Honour
Well as much as I like PC gaming and have done for a few decades, although I can use mine for work too, if this becomes the norm regarding pricing I will have no issue picking up a console and shift over to it. I still have many games in the library to hit before I evaluate.

I'm playing indie games, which run well enough on my 8 year old hardware with a 5 year old graphics card. I'll probably do one more upgrade to 2-3 year old hardware, maybe 2nd hand. The main sticking point in me switching to console is the controller, but there's the beginnings of potentially viable workarounds for that and maybe in a few more years a controller won't be necessary. Other than that, consoles are adequate for gaming. I'd prefer to stay with PC gaming because it's better and the control options are better and the buying games options are better and modding games is an option, but I'm not going to willingly be so ripped off with prices. I could pay £2K+ for a toy to play games on. But I won't. It's not worth that much to me. I think it's not worth that much to enough people to sustain the market properly. I think the PC gaming market is in terminal decline and I think hardware manufacturers with enough clout to do anything about it know that and don't care for the reasons I give above.

I'd like to be wrong.

Associate
It is surprising how old hardware and i am looking at around 7 years in age still handles the majority of new games well, you do not really need new graphic cards unless you want raytracing or any of the other new tech that gets implemented.
Gaming developers/ software designers target the biggest market to maximize margin that means low end hardware with consoles being a good example are the winners here not £2000 + Gpu`s :)

Soldato
I'd like to be wrong.
I'd like you to be also because that's a depressing way to start the day. :)

I think you maybe a bit wrong as although we'll probably see £2k or more being the norm for new cards i think the more cost conscious people will be forced into buying new old cards, i think we'll see more cases where cheaper previous generation cards are sold alongside new expensive cards.

Associate
Unfortunately I got into VR (mainly flight sims) a few years back so have been waiting for things to normalise before upgrading from my 1070 and i59600k. So the VR side has stalled but I can still manage my strategy games without issue. I agree with others that PC gamers have been sold down the river. This whole scenario being played out in the front of our eyes appears to have been so carefully manipulated that it leaves a bad taste. Any man and his dog can see what's happening here.

I'm old school so never got the console bug apart from a PS1 I bought for my lad in the mid 90's. I'm fortunate in that I could afford to upgrade the whole lot, VR headset / GPU etc but to me the hobby simply doesn't justify the current expense.

I've always taken pleasure in upgrading my system slowly, carefully and at a level that suits my needs, not just wildly throwing money at components for the hell of it. There's a great deal of satisfaction in sourcing parts at a decent price and building / upgrading your PC. I appreciate they say you only live once but part of life, even if you can afford it, is not bowing down to the greed of a few companies who have clearly forgotten their core customer base, or simply don't care anymore as appears to be the case here. So why should I support them ? I honestly don't think this hobby is worth the outlay anymore as in bang for buck, games yes but components such as GPU's no.

I often think I should change my mindset. I can imagine NVIDIA reading this thread and thinking 'what a load of moaning minnies' but I don't think I've ever seen such a level of dissatisfaction over a product and for so long. In the meantime long term customers drift away.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey! guys... I just got back in to pc gaming last Christmas after some years of being absent so you can imagine my surprise at just how crazy graphics card prices got. I'd been stuck in the doldrums of PS3 & 4 gaming for a while & it was ok! It was getting irritating having to pay just to play online. I'm not gonna lie it just doesn't scratch that itch we pc gamers have.
Anyway I waded through my options and decided to build a pc around the 5700g, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, 750w power unit in a sweet looking Corsair 4000d air tower. All on a b550 mobo for maximum upgradability options. There were some great deals around at the time and I managed a fully working quite high end rig for about £600. I figured at some point the graphics prices would come down to reasonable prices. I've had some real fun playing everything from Alien Isolation (73fps 1440p), The Division (40fps 1080p) Battlefield 1 (40-50 fps 1080p) to ACC (51 fps 1080p). You'd be amazed just how good the 5700g is. Not great I know but it's playable for me until I get a gfx card. Who knows perhaps onboard graphics, is the future. Prices have been pretty underwhelming in the UK since mining finally died. I still hold out hope for at least a £500- £550 new 6800xt which is reasonable given this late stage of the game. I'm sticking to my guns. Prices in the US are far better cause them folks are more price savvy. Let's face it we Brits will pay silly money for petrol without protest unlike our American counterparts. Things 'suck' all round I get it. But please think about it, if we vote with our wallets things will get better. If they don't & our vendors continue scalping us! for easy money then pc gaming will sadly slowly disappear.✌️

Associate
More jolly news:

NVIDIA RTX 30 ‘Ampere’ GPU Supply Evaporates From The Market As Second Hand Prices Increase By Up To 200%​

US-centric but still concerning:

WCCF Tech said:
Since November 4, in just 26 days, prices have increased by 200% for the Ampere series. . The supply available-for-sale has completely fizzled out and as of November 30th, an RTX 3060 (used) is going for $300 and an RTX 3080 Ti is approaching $800 (used). New prices of these cards is even higher with the RTX 3080 Ti now touching $1200.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd like you to be also because that's a depressing way to start the day. :)

I think you maybe a bit wrong as although we'll probably see £2k or more being the norm for new cards i think the more cost conscious people will be forced into buying new old cards, i think we'll see more cases where cheaper previous generation cards are sold alongside new expensive cards.

Which would mean, for example, a 4060 labelled as a 4070 being sold for about £800 in a couple of years when the newly released 5090 is £2000-£2500 and the 5080 is £1500. And my expectation of the future that I'd like to be wrong will still stand.

The only situation I can think of that would change things would be the entry of a new GPU and graphics card manufacturer that didn't have any intention of entering the professional graphics/compute market. Which seems unlikely to me. Why would any company do that? It costs a boatload to develop a suitable GPU. Why would any company that did so choose not to enter it into the much more profitable of the two markets for it?

Soldato
Which would mean, for example, a 4060 labelled as a 4070 being sold for about £800 in a couple of years when the newly released 5090 is £2000-£2500 and the 5080 is £1500. And my expectation of the future that I'd like to be wrong will still stand.

The only situation I can think of that would change things would be the entry of a new GPU and graphics card manufacturer that didn't have any intention of entering the professional graphics/compute market. Which seems unlikely to me. Why would any company do that? It costs a boatload to develop a suitable GPU. Why would any company that did so choose not to enter it into the much more profitable of the two markets for it?

I don't see sanity returning to the marker either. People paid for Turing and defended NV pricing, people paid anything during lockdown, and people bought 4090s, and the market is now ruined.

Soldato
Not really, they'll just reduce the price of previous gen cards as they're replaced by the new generation. More generally speaking as when talking about just Nvidia it distorts the picture slightly we're already seeing that both manufactures have reduced MSRP of last gen high end cards a few months before they were replaced and i suspect we'll see something similar when with other cards as they move down the stack.

Last edited:
Associate
well, this sucks for most people, whoever was waiting for 40xx got royally shafted. I am sooo happy I bought my 3080TI when I found a good offer a few months back, I haven't seen it close to the £800 since, anywhere. Still, it sucks.

The good part however is that unless you game at 4k, you don't really need to spend like crazy for a GPU

Associate
But he's talking about shifting to console. Which is no where near high end apart from hard drive speed.

Edit: to be clear. My point is I hate the whole "I'm gona switch to console" argument here. You either like sitting at a desk playing PC games or you prefer couch and TV (if you can't afford both). Because the same cost of just sticking with old PC tech will match the console's performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
But he's talking about shifting to console. Which is no where near high end apart from hard drive speed.

Edit: to be clear. My point is I hate the whole "I'm gona switch to console" argument here. You either like sitting at a desk playing PC games or you prefer couch and TV (if you can't afford both). Because the same cost of just sticking with old PC tech will match the console's performance.
I don't really notice a difference between my 3080 PC and the PS5 when gaming, the new consoles are pretty good IMO.

Soldato
I don't see sanity returning to the marker either. People paid for Turing and defended NV pricing, people paid anything during lockdown, and people bought 4090s, and the market is now ruined.
I am holding out a bit of hope - the 4080 isn't selling, and particularly if AMD's market share jumps we could start seeing some movement on pricing

There will always be that chunk of the market that will buy the absolute fastest card for the highest price, but the tiers below that seem a bit more rational from what is going around

They produced hardly any 4080's but they are sitting there on shelves hardly moving

Soldato
I am holding out a bit of hope - the 4080 isn't selling, and particularly if AMD's market share jumps we could start seeing some movement on pricing

There will always be that chunk of the market that will buy the absolute fastest card for the highest price, but the tiers below that seem a bit more rational from what is going around

They produced hardly any 4080's but they are sitting there on shelves hardly moving
They're gonna do whatever they can to hold those prices nice and high and say its the norm still from now on. Only us the consumers can change what is happening and not bend over to it.

Back
Top Bottom