• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
They became the scalpers out of greed, just like the lockdown scalpers... pot kettle... but worse as it's being done at the source..

True colours are out for a lot of companies and now we should all take note and remember this and where to spend.

Faith in humanity at an all-time low really..
It's always been this way. A certain type of person always finds their way to the top, they don't do it by being altruistic. In recent times they've just been better at convincing us they are doing us a favour. At the same time we have more transparency into the way the world really works with the internet. It's still all working its way out but I suspect in time people will behave better, once they realise that we are aware and that those new clothes aren't fooling anyone any more ;)

Soldato
The RTX4070/RTX4070TI use a sub 300MM2 die so are not "expensive" dGPUs in reality but Nvidia wants its mining margins, and AMD also wants to follow them. They are basically the RTX3060/RTX3060TI replacements. RTX4080/RX7900XTX should have been £600~£700 at most.

xF0Y7oK.png

The RTX4070 is just above 40% faster than the RTX3060TI. That is a normal generational uplift.If it was priced similarly to the RTX3060TI it would have given you a sub £400 dGPU that would have easily gone past a console dGPU in all ways. Plus it would also be an upsell,because it would be a massively salvaged third tier die pushed up another level.

It would also push a console equivalent dGPU closer to £200.

Instead greed was more important,so that is why the average PC on Steam has a GTX1650,and most of the top 10 dGPUs are worse or marginally better than a console.

Now we are probably a year away from the consoles being refreshed,so the PS5/XBox Series X are old hat,even for consoles. After all Sony last year broke even on PS5 costs.

So at this point,if that happens and the dGPU gets a decent upgrade we will be back to square. This is not a technical limiation of what Nvidia/AMD can design,but they clearly don't care about gamers like they did in the 8800GT and HD4870 days. The whole 8GB still being a thing is just penny pinching when the companies making RAM are selling it on the cheap.
It reminds me of what Apple does.

4080ti should be the best buy according to this but we all know it will be priced stupidly since the 4080 is already at 1200£. There is such a humongous gap between the 4070/4070ti and the 4080 and there is absolutely nothing to fill it making the 4080 and 4080ti look like stupid buys. You'd think they were something special by the price gap but they really aren't at that price range!

Soldato
There is such a humongous gap between the 4070/4070ti and...
That's probably because the 4070ti was meant to be a 4080 12GB so there's a 4070ti gap in the line-up, i think we were all expecting when the 4080 12GB got renamed that Nvidia would shift everything down the product stack but it's almost like they've shifted everything up to fill that gap left by what should be the real 4070ti.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's always been this way. A certain type of person always finds their way to the top, they don't do it by being altruistic. In recent times they've just been better at convincing us they are doing us a favour.

This is the essence of capitalism. Success mostly comes from convincing someone you are the best, not actually being the best.

Soldato
Good that everyone here is now in agreement that "pre-scalped for your convenience" is precisely what both vendors did last round!

Things like the MSRP of the 6700 XT vs 6800 or the 3070 Ti vs 3070 made that very obvious the last time.

Company fans probably did justify it though: they'd rather their favourite company ripped consumers off than some retailer / distributor or shady end-user!
It's always been this way. A certain type of person always finds their way to the top, they don't do it by being altruistic. In recent times they've just been better at convincing us they are doing us a favour. At the same time we have more transparency into the way the world really works with the internet. It's still all working its way out but I suspect in time people will behave better, once they realise that we are aware and that those new clothes aren't fooling anyone any more ;)
The personality traits of CEOs and corporate big wigs do tend to align with the traits of sociopaths far too often. The only lucky thing for everyone is that most of them stop there - full psychopath is a lot rarer!

Soldato
4080ti should be the best buy according to this but we all know it will be priced stupidly since the 4080 is already at 1200£. There is such a humongous gap between the 4070/4070ti and the 4080 and there is absolutely nothing to fill it making the 4080 and 4080ti look like stupid buys. You'd think they were something special by the price gap but they really aren't at that price range!

Looking at the shop I buy the most is around like this (cheapest in stock):

4070 - 653 euro
7900xt - 894 euro
4070ti - 912 euro
7900xtx - 1137 euro
4080 - 1259 euro
4090 - 1870 euro

Depending on how the prices vary per store/country, there are always options. If you're set on nvidia, 4080 can be the choice if you don't want to pay the extra towards a 4090, but you still want the power to get (now at least) a 60fps in situations like below where that 4070ti will drop under 60fps in certain areas... and to get 16GB vRAM. Or get AMD for some money in between.

From my point of view, no option is ideal and (obviously) overpriced.

dying-light-2-3840-2160.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with you that prices should be lower, I was just point out that comparing the old xbox with the 8800GT, doesn't hold anymore that well since the GPUs in consoles grew quite big and prices can't be that low for graphics cards considering the increase in complexity: 24GB, 450W tdp for 4090 vs 512MB, 125W tdp for 8800GT. At least I'm not sure is possible with current tech, even with what AMD is doing with chiplets, to have a $350-$400 card like the 4090 or larger while still making a profit. I'd love to be proven wrong as even a $500 4090 would be sweet! :D
The 608mm2 tsmc n4 die would cost around $200 with a 90% yield rate while 24gb of vram is about $45 so I doubt the rest of the bits on the PCB and cooler are more than $150 so you’d be looking at around $400 for the manufacturing costs with say another $100 going to RnD and $30 for packaging and shipping, add 30% on for profits and your at $700 which is what high end cards used to cost.

Soldato

Just to prove how scummy these companies have become, ASUS as a great example with recent events with their motherboards that now void your warranty to update to the latest BIOS that fixes issues that blow up the cpus that they created. So now they void warranty to fix their issues that are not even really fixed too.. Amazing how these companies think they can get away with such behaviour. Anyways ASUS has been on my ignore list for a while as they are the only motherboards I ever had die or cause issues later or day one because they try push the limits to win benchmarks when reviewed or have hidden time bombs that show up later in the life of the boards.

:mad:

Basically time to avoid ASUS now too if this is their mentality now that they think they can void warranties for installing BIOS updates with hidden terms and agreements.

Associate
which is irrelevant to the context of the discussion, poster said it wasnt an option on consumer gpu yet it is on mine and afaik 3090 too
To quote said poster exactly "I'm unsure whether it is disabled in BIOS for performance or whether the memory devices selected are different.". It's both. And yes, it's been present for a long time now on "titan" class GPUs. On AMD side of things it was present on quite a few lower GPUs too (no toggle, just turned on by default).

Associate

More shots fired :cry: ..
If you read between the lines. This video is essentially, a sulk video. Jay having a strop on camera.

What I mean is they Jay failed to get his usual sponsorship from Asus like he did with MSI, or Asrock etc (In January). I mean what normal YouTuber's need a "Brand Manager"? I preferred it when he made video's from his spare room...

So to me, this is where he is throwing his proverbial toys out of the pram, due to losing free stuff, or income...

That and he is jumping on the bandwagon, of Gamers Nexus critique of Asus motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom