• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Yup prices are still crazy, I'm holding on to my money for now, I'd like to upgrade but cannot justify the price right now.

Cheapest 7900xt on OCUK today is £750.

I would be wanting to spend about £500 on that.

Maybe I'm being really unrealistic? That's fine I'll just just hang on to my cash I'm not that bothered.

Same sentiment here - still rocking the GTX970 in my main rig and the GTX1060 6GB in the living room PC.

I have the spare cash but can't justify it and am annoyed at how ridiculously priced everything is.

I've just changed the type of games I play and gave up on the idea of buying a new, higher resolution monitor for now. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup prices are still crazy, I'm holding on to my money for now, I'd like to upgrade but cannot justify the price right now.

Cheapest 7900xt on OCUK today is £750.

I would be wanting to spend about £500 on that.

Maybe I'm being really unrealistic? That's fine I'll just just hang on to my cash I'm not that bothered.
Keep the money or buy something else. I'm setting my sights on some photography gear which has some nice deals now or a bycicle. They can keep their dust gatheres as much as they want.

Associate
Overclockers is now selling 4080s from 1050 so at least going down- problem is by now they are 6 months old so i am now looking at the 4080 Super/Ti or will wait until 2024 for an upgrade.

Soldato
Overclockers is now selling 4080s from 1050 so at least going down- problem is by now they are 6 months old so i am now looking at the 4080 Super/Ti or will wait until 2024 for an upgrade.
The 4080 is waste of time at anything over £800. Its a cash grab from Nvidia who are trying to sell gamers GPU's at 2020/21 mining/pandemic prices, same goes for the whole generation really which at this point is a write off.

Soldato
thing is nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot here with overpriced gpu's, its just forcing many to consoles, in which amd is the main soarce, so nvidia is pretty much pushing folk AMD's way and with AMD and its gpu pricing ,the same applies, but AMD benefit each end where nvidia doesnt

Last edited:
Soldato

You've got to wonder if Apple actually needs all that capacity or if they're just trying to starve out the rest of the hardware market. Either way it's not looking good for 3nm GPU parts, RTX 50xx parts included.

Soldato
Rx7600 appears in Canada at shops for $340usd

Soldato
There must be loads of people like me who want to upgrade with money ready but just can't see a card with any kind of value
On the Nvidia side the closest you can get for "value" is the 4070. It's the one that has to fall the least monetary-wise before it gets to a fair price.

A 4070 has to fall £100 before it gets to a decent price but a 4080 has to fall more than £300 to be considered the same.

Associate
On the Nvidia side the closest you can get for "value" is the 4070. It's the one that has to fall the least monetary-wise before it gets to a fair price.

A 4070 has to fall £100 before it gets to a decent price but a 4080 has to fall more than £300 to be considered the same.

The Margin on the 4080 is much larger, with more room in absolute terms to accommodate what appearances would suggest to be the more significant drop.

Consider the AD104 in the 4070 is 294mm2, the AD103 die in the 4080 at 378mm2 is not that much larger (29%), then look at the prices, and compare that to 608mm £1600 of the 4090 FE.

The 4070ti and 4080 undoubtedly have the 'healthiest' (plumpest) margins of the current Nvidia line-up.

Soldato
Is the RTX 4080 a more "acceptable price" these days, with the 4080 selling for £1049.99, £129 under MSRP?

The 3080 MSRP was £649.

Don't let these price reductions fool you. It's the oldest trick in the book - overprice a product for a short period and then introduce a "special offer".

Edit. By the way, I'm directing this at Nvidia. OCUK's margin in probably tiny.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 3080 MSRP was £649.

Exactly, and that's why it was instantly sold out when it released, which was before the mining boom properly kicked off. Remember the thousands of people on ocuk's backorder list from release day?

Given that demand, maybe the 3080 was too cheap (it also was a visible outlier on the price to performance chart).

But Nvidia set the precident now as far as I'm concerned. £700 should get you the 2nd from top sku.

Last edited:
Soldato
There very likely are. I can see Jensen saying Ampere friends, it is now safe to upgrade next year.
The thing is this generation only offers 2 cards better than ampere and costs £1000+ if you want one so there is little incentive to upgrade for the many rocking ampere.

Back
Top Bottom