• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

$650. Which at the time's £/$ ratio was £650.

They sold out too, as iirc it was becoming clear to everyone that people who pre-ordered £700-£750 3080's were never going to get them. This was just over a month before the cypto craze began.

Thanks. So 7900XT needs to drop a ton really to be fair, or at least semi sensible.

Yeah. On release you could expect retailers to try for a margin before the fomo tails off. This should equate to the 7800XT 7900XT being £699 for reference models and a tad more for the AIB fancy models. But then they announced the prices and as they say, the rest is history.

Let's keep hoping...

Normally mentioned in the scene as the artificial price to set the low bar making people interested. Particularly, AIB's and retailers get all excited and start commanding their margins from there upwards.

Traditionally you start to see 'discounts', 'deals' and 'offers' after six months but this seems to be a thing of the past or like them high street stores that are permanently on a closing down sale (but prices remain the same).

"When the Gpu's prices will go down ?"

No.

Longer answer - Maybe next generation?

Last edited:
Thanks. So 7900XT needs to drop a ton really to be fair, or at least semi sensible.
I know someone that got one for £650 ;)

I'm fairly sure websites like CEX will sell used ones at this price within the next few months (with a warranty).

The RTX 4070 TI, maybe not...

Not great, not terrible - Seems like you gotta buy used to get anything like what you pay for a new GPU in the USA.

Last edited:
That is the fault of AMD being greedy like Nvidia. If they made the RX7700XT 30% faster than the RX6700XT at around £399,and the RX7800XT 30% faster than the RX6800 at around £499,then AIB partners might be interested.

30% is barely a huge generational uplift. If they CBA,why should their AIB partners and consumers care?

That was also referred to in one of the rumour videos I watched. It was alleged (with an alleged source allegedly working for AMD) that AMD don't care. RDNA3 has proven to be a disappointment and it was claimed that AMD want to ignore it as much as possible while focusing on RDNA4. Which would make sense, since RDNA3 isn't much of an improvement over RDNA2 and is doing very badly as a product (although that's due to pricing, which is due to chasing margins at any cost including reduced profit).

The 7800XT is 30% faster than a 6800XT but AMD thought they could charge £900 for it by changing the name and that consumers are dumb.

That's true. AMD had reason to make that assumption - other manufacturers have proven that many consumers are dumb. Most importantly nvidia, which is almost a monopoly on graphics cards and has based its business practices firmly in having contempt for consumers. Doing that has worked extremely well for nvidia. Even on the occasions where they take the **** too much even for their devoted fans (e.g. claiming that what was at best a 4070 and maybe only a 4060 Ti was in fact a 4080), that was only a minor setback (and they still got away with calling it a 4070Ti after waiting a few weeks for the fuss to die down). Also, of course, with a profit-only business and without competition prices will be inflated to maximum in order to gouge as much money as possible from people with no choice. That's why monopolies are the goal of capitalism.

What was the 6800XT RRP?

I think that's not quite the right question in this context. I think a better question in this context is "what does a new 6800XT cost?" A graphics card released now is released now, not in November 2021. A new generation of cards should be at least competitive with the previous generation at the time the new card is released.

So a successor to a 6800XT that is available now should (IMO) be competitive with a 6800XT now. Which would make the basis for pricing about £500. How much more than £500 would (going by what I would consider fair) be dependent on how much better than a 6800XT it is. The 7900XT is a fair bit better than a 6800XT (which is what it actually replaces, regardless of what shenanigans AMD does with naming). About 30% higher performance and also more efficient, more VRAM and better (though still inadequate) ray tracing. That's a meaningful generation uplift. So I'd say £600 would be a good price for it. If the official 7800XT (if it's released) gives about the same performance as a 6800XT (which is about where estimates put it) then I think it should be the same price as a 6800XT is now - £500.

If there isn't going to be an improvement from one generation to the next there shouldn't be an increase in price. And maybe there shouldn't be a new generation at all.

If there isn't going to be an improvement from one generation to the next there shouldn't be an increase in price. And maybe there shouldn't be a new generation at all.

I don't know where it is going. I don't understand NVIDIA or AMD's thinking. It's terrible...this really sums it up for me...

Maybe they just don't care about upgrading any more because they know that they can't continue releases every two years, so the upgrade market will die, so they are targeting new PC's only? I don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know where it is going. I don't understand NVIDIA or AMD's thinking. It's terrible...this really sums it up for me...

Maybe they just don't care about upgrading any more because they know that they can't continue releases every two years, so the upgrade market will die, so they are targeting new PC's only? I don't know.
We will all just have to wait and see (if we can tolerate our aging cards) what next gen and the gen after pricing gets set at by Nvidia and AMD…..

Perhaps they'd like to align with the console generations. Release every 7 years with a refresh half way.

4090 was £1250 at an unnamed retailer late last night, getting down a bit but selling quickly at those prices, they were gone within 10 mins.

Perhaps they'd like to align with the console generations. Release every 7 years with a refresh half way.

Well maybe the two year cycle - if it means consumers get price shafted - needs to change, three years would be fine if it meant going back to larger gen jumps and better prices.

I know someone that got one for £650 ;)

I'm fairly sure websites like CEX will sell used ones at this price within the next few months (with a warranty).

The RTX 4070 TI, maybe not...

Not great, not terrible - Seems like you gotta buy used to get anything like what you pay for a new GPU in the USA.
As I have only just learnt the cex warranty is actually quite bad, you get 24months but if it breaks you get 1 repair or replacement, after that they will only give you a voucher for what the card is worth for trade in at that time, so if you pay say £1200 and in 6 months they are only offering £700 voucher then that's all you get back.

AMD seemed to imply the chiplet tactic would make the units cheaper, however so far the two vendors think customers are happy to pay more. We also see a global cut in prices for things like memory so something is not tallying up. There is only a certain amount of excuses you can burn.
There is absolutely no doubt that the 7900 series are more expensive to manufacture per performance than any of the 40 series, except the 4090.

The 40 series is truly brilliant engineering, wringing the guts out of tiny memory busses and memory pool, trivially simple PCBs, power designs etc. The issue we have with it is the pricing, which is woeful compared to BOM cost vs. Prior gens.

The 79 series is not optimal, due to the overhead of all the IOs, silicon interposer, extra processes for chiplets. However, this approach does render some decent benefits, that will play a much larger role in future designs. The ability to have cheaper nodes for cache and IO, and denser nodes for compute makes a lot of sense. You might even have separate dies for AI compute vs. "standard" GPU compute.

TLDR: 79 series is expensive to manufacture vs. 40 series for the same performance. Future chiplet arch's will scale well and should have better price to manufacture vs. Performance

There is absolutely no doubt that the 7900 series are more expensive to manufacture per performance than any of the 40 series, except the 4090.

The 40 series is truly brilliant engineering, wringing the guts out of tiny memory busses and memory pool, trivially simple PCBs, power designs etc. The issue we have with it is the pricing, which is woeful compared to BOM cost vs. Prior gens.

The 79 series is not optimal, due to the overhead of all the IOs, silicon interposer, extra processes for chiplets. However, this approach does render some decent benefits, that will play a much larger role in future designs. The ability to have cheaper nodes for cache and IO, and denser nodes for compute makes a lot of sense. You might even have separate dies for AI compute vs. "standard" GPU compute.

TLDR: 79 series is expensive to manufacture vs. 40 series for the same performance. Future chiplet arch's will scale well and should have better price to manufacture vs. Performance
Oh and forgot to say that the 78 series will likely be the worse of the bunch, as it'll be the lowest performing MCM card... So you have the same overheads for the least performance. I wouldn't hold my breath for it being cheap.

Obviously it'll be priced to compete, but I seriously doubt it will ever be a "value king"

Back
Top Bottom