• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Should you not be comparing the 1080ti to the 4090? Those are both nVidia flagship GPU's. So that is a £735 GPU vs a £1800 GPU. Even being generous and comparing the 1080ti to a 4080, that is still £735 vs £1080.

Taking inflation into account your £735 in 2017 would be £938 today. So for the price of the flagship GPU in 2017 you are getting an upper mid tier / lower high tier GPU.

People justifying the price rises in this way are what adds fuel to nVidia and AMD's fire.
Ignoring names and instead looking at the hardware, a 4090 uses 89% of the AD102 while a 1080ti used 93% of the GP102.

A 4080 though has just 53% of the cuda of a full AD102 so the closest pascal card to that would be 1070 at 50% of the GP102 so your looking at a price increase of around 200% in 7 years, way above inflation.

We stopped getting good deals after the 14nm generation, I still cannot get twice the RX 590 performance for the same price...

How did you pay? The RX6700XT is just over twice the speed. OcUK in July were selling it for £300 with a free copy of Starfield(which would have gotten £40 at least if you sold it).

Last edited:
How did you pay? The RX6700XT is just over twice the speed. OcUK in July were selling it for £300 with a free copy of Starfield(which would have gotten £40 at least if you sold it).
Yes but the RX590 was 270€ and the 6700XT is still above that.
The RX 7600 could barely qualify but going from 8GB to 8GB just feels wrong.

2019 £400, so RX 5700XT is £490 in todays money
2020 £579, so RX 6800 is £703 in todays money

Inflation is a _____ especially with wage stagnation.
Your figures are accurate but, off topic, looking at your signature there is no way that game is happening, wish it would though.

Last edited:
Your figures are accurate but, off topic, looking at your signature there is no way that game is happening.

Funny you should say that, its a spline running through the actual game world as it is right now, no fakery, it is...... what it is, i can replicate it exactly by flying it in my ship.

The first planet you see in the video, 3 years ago so its been updated graphically, Volumetric Clouds and newer shaders ecte...

This is the moon in that video, with the rings, Yella.... 2 years ago

Orison, the city in the clouds, also in the video...

Looks amazing, and I really hope it will be a success.

But still, the graphics cards technology is moving faster than the game can possibly update all its worlds.

We have Starfield, now a moment in time, what was possible, in current day hardware. Not the best game in the world, but they knew their restrictions.
I'm not saying their engine was the best, but it looks good and can still stress a GFX card and it was pretty.

Hope Star Citizen comes true, as I will be the first to buy it.

Last edited:
Looks amazing, but still, the graphics cards technology is moving faster than the game can possibly update all its worlds.

True

Obviously the game is very much larger than what you see in that video, and yes some parts of it look older than others, because they are, most of the older parts of the game are not in that video, other than Yella, the moon with the rings, 2018 that came in. But they do keep updating the shaders and textures ecte.... they are currently working on putting Ray Tracing in.

Yes but the RX590 was 270€ and the 6700XT is still above that.
The RX 7600 could barely qualify but going from 8GB to 8GB just feels wrong.

£300 would be 350 Euro. The game code was selling for around £40~£50 because the RX6700XT came with Starfield Premium. So that was around 50 Euro.

So around 300 Euro. If you look at the latest TPU review(the A580),the RX580 is in the chart:

TPU put the RX590 as 10% faster than an RX580.So at 1080p the RX6700XT would be 2.35X faster and at 1440p the RX6700XT would be 2.36X faster.

Around the same time the RX6600XT/RX6650XT even dipped below £200,and IIRC it came with Starfield too,but the base version. This would have doubled performance. This was around July/August.

@Devious

I don't want to knock Starfield, it has some good things about it and Star Citizen has plenty of problems, its come a very long way but has a long way to go.

the problem with Starfield is it doesn't feel like a space game, space is vast, it has no boundaries, Starfield is full of boundaries, it makes it feel small and limited, and the loadscreens.... Star Citizen has none of that, travel billions of KM anywhere you want, literally anywhere and not a single loadscreen, ever, no matter what.
What you see in 3D space is real. the planet seen from 2 million KM away is as seen.

Last edited:
£300 would be 350 Euro. The game code was selling for around £40~£50 because the RX6700XT came with Starfield Premium. So that was around 50 Euro.

So around 300 Euro. If you look at the latest TPU review(the A580),the RX580 is in the chart:

TPU put the RX590 as 10% faster than an RX580.So at 1080p the RX6700XT would be 2.35X faster and at 1440p the RX6700XT would be 2.36X faster.

Around the same time the RX6600XT/RX6650XT even dipped below £200,and IIRC it came with Starfield too,but the base version. This would have doubled performance. This was around July/August.
Yes, the 6650XT/7600 would barely fit the criteria but come on, 4 years after and same RAM amount?

2020 £579, so RX 6800 is £703 in todays money
I know people like to use the inflation argument to validate price increases but the reality is that GDDR6 has fallen from £12 per gigabyte to £2.90 so for a 16gb card the cost savings from that alone would be £146 which wipes out any inflation increases and actually makes most GPUs deflationary.

I know people like to use the inflation argument to validate price increases but the reality is that GDDR6 has fallen from £12 per gigabyte to £2.90 so for a 16gb card the cost savings from that alone would be £146 which wipes out any inflation increases and actually makes most GPUs deflationary.
What about the cost to make capacitors, fuses and mosfets? Have they gone up maybe to account for the xtra manufacturing cost?

What about the cost to make capacitors, fuses and mosfets? Have they gone up maybe to account for the xtra manufacturing cost?

I'd say its a case of manufactures not producing enough stock again, couple that with what China are doing to 4090's and we are seeing a return to the crypo boom pricing if not higher, sucks for games once again, if this keeps up my next upgrade could very well be a console, i hope to god its not.
Everything in gernearl has gotten more expensive but as you say if costs have dropped then its a clear sign compaines dont give a dam about us and just want the money, lots a money.

Gartner publicized a report about "things as customers". Guess they got more money than gamers for GPUs!

Right...

Q3 of this year AMD's Gaming Revenue, which includes dGPU's was $1,506 Million, operating income from that was 208 million, that's 14% margins. to reduce price all AMD can do at this point is give them away at cost. And that is still not going to be enough to satisfy people, because even that's not going to be enough to make Nvidia cards affordable, and that's the problem.
That's not and AMD problem, that's a you problem.

Nvidia don't break down their segment margins but their overall margins stand at 75% for the same quarter.

I'm growing very tired of AMD being the one getting in the neck constantly for being over priced while Nvidia get away with it no matter how expensive they get, £800 for a 4070Ti, £1100 for a 4080 and £2000 for a 4090 is now accepted as the new normal while at the same time they relentlessly bash AMD for being overpriced at £300 less for the same class of mid range GPU's.

I think some people actively want to see AMD exit this market so that Nvidia can be free to charge whatever they like for their products. Vested interests.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom