• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

It really depends on what your currently using too. Most people on 3070 equivalent class or above will be turned off already so basically the only metric to base any 'upgrade' will be the price. Both brands are not seeing the woods from the trees yet but it looks worse if they just blatantly care not. The more the 5000 series release is pushed back, the more I can see refresh plans warming up.

Thought I'd fire up this thread again.

Checking the prices, 7900xt is £800, or the sapphire pulse specifically.

£100 more than I paid 6 months ago, I appreciate it was a good deal ocuk were doing, but just overall, doesn't seem that anything is getting better.

I think we'll have to accept this is the new new normal and either deal with it or move away from pc gaming.

Nope, what we are all seeing is the surge in demand from china for AI gpu`s. Now the 4090 is banned, everything else is surging in price as a result.
The problem is, that there's always something pushing prices up these days - be it crypto, or now AI or scalpers and production issues etc. In reality there are so little and so short moments now of lower prices that it's just normal to have high prices. Markets would have to really collapse as is now, for anything to drop - and because Nvidia found perfect excuses for them to always keep pricess up one way or another, the rest just follow suit. Hence, my current answer to the question of this topic is "Not anytime soon, perhaps never.".

Last edited:
I think we'll have to accept this is the new new normal and either deal with it or move away from pc gaming.

Or transition away from needing everything to run at 4K ultra settings.

I am not playing nVidia and AMD's game anymore. I will stick with my 3060ti and my Steam Deck OLED and enjoy games at reduced settings. The OLED Steam Deck makes games look even better than on my 27" 240hz Alienware monitor anyway.

The more people who say no to overpriced GPU's the more likely we are to get reasonably priced cards eventually.

If prices continue to stay ridiculous long term I think less and less games will come out that need high end GPU's to run. You only need to look at the best games this year. Balders Gate, Tears of the Kingdom, Sea of Stars, Armoured Core, Super Mario Wonder, HiFi Rush, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Cocoon, Pizza Tower, Street Fighter 6 etc. These can all be run on pretty modest hardware, if not potato level.

The best games that pushed graphics this year were Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty which you can still run on a Steam Deck with reduced settings and Alan Wake 2 which looks and runs great on my 3060ti.

AMD and nVidia are going to kill high end graphics in games which will actually end up being good for the customers wallet in the long term.

GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb 18 August 2017 - TOTAL £735.96.

to

AMD RadeonTM RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC 24G 18 November 2023 - TOTAL £890.99.

I think I've been more patient than most, and 6 years later £155 more for an equivalent product is fairly decent in the current climate, but things are just different now, Nvidia and AMD know that people will just pay more than pre-covid.

GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb 18 August 2017 - TOTAL £735.96.

to

AMD RadeonTM RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC 24G 18 November 2023 - TOTAL £890.99.

I think I've been more patient than most, and 6 years later £155 more for an equivalent product is fairly decent in the current climate, but things are just different now, Nvidia and AMD know that people will just pay more than pre-covid.

Should you not be comparing the 1080ti to the 4090? Those are both nVidia flagship GPU's. So that is a £735 GPU vs a £1800 GPU. Even being generous and comparing the 1080ti to a 4080, that is still £735 vs £1080.

Taking inflation into account your £735 in 2017 would be £938 today. So for the price of the flagship GPU in 2017 you are getting an upper mid tier / lower high tier GPU.

People justifying the price rises in this way are what adds fuel to nVidia and AMD's fire.

Last edited:
Should you not be comparing the 1080ti to the 4090? Those are both nVidia flagship GPU's.

Makes sense, but I think they meant flagship or ~4090 performance in general. Even if a 7900XTX can't outright beat a 4090, it's close enough as AMD's top offer. And when we coonsider the price paid for it, compared to what 4090s are selling for... it's a bargain.

But yeah, the price has pretty much doubled, when going Nvidia flagship to flagship. This 1080ti -> 7900XTX is one of the lucky few comparisons that doesn't make things look as bad. At least this time AMD have some GPU options at high end. I guess it's also cos the 7900XTX prices have dropped quite a bit since release.

Still, it's all insufficient generational price/performance increases and none of it makes me want to consider buying a new GPU for my upcoming build.

Should you not be comparing the 1080ti to the 4090? Those are both nVidia flagship GPU's. So that is a £735 GPU vs a £1800 GPU. Even being generous and comparing the 1080ti to a 4080, that is still £735 vs £1080.

Taking inflation into account your £735 in 2017 would be £938 today. So for the price of the flagship GPU in 2017 you are getting an upper mid tier / lower high tier GPU.

People justifying the price rises in this way are what adds fuel to nVidia and AMD's fire.

I in no way justified inflated prices. Also Titan x was a thing.

I in no way justified inflated prices. Also Titan x was a thing.

Many people do justify buying new GPU's in a similar manner. The Titan Xp was released a few months before the 1080ti and had basically the same performance as the 1080ti. That is why I also mentioned the 4080 to be generous. There are no good deals when buying a GPU today. Only varying levels of how badly you are being rinsed by the GPU makers and retailers.

The only good deals available if you want to buy hardware to play video games are the consoles and the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Navi 31 isn't a proper replacement for Navi 21 IMHO. Even though the size of the chips is similar, 40% of the chip is made on TSMC 6NM(a 7NM class product),and chiplet designs need more complex communication logic AFAIK(and there is a power penalty) so probably extra transistors for that. The move from Navi 21 to Navi 31 yielded a 2.15X increase in transistors. The move from GA102 to AD102 yielded a 2.7X increase.

Even if you compare Navi 21 to the GA102,the former had 95% of the transistors. Navi 31 has 76% of the transistors of the AD102.

So in reality the RX7900XTX is closer to the AD103 than the AD102. AMD really needed to go with a larger GCD,but to save on money went with something smaller and attempted to clock it too high and failed miserably. Nvidia also uses a more refined version of TSMC 5NM too(AMD uses it for some of its laptop APUs).

In the end,the RX7900XTX for me should have been named an RX7800XT. The RX7900XT,the RX7800.

The RTX4080 is more an RTX3070TI,but since Nvidia got such a massive uplift,the RTX4080 name is probably OK. It's the price which is the issue here. The RX7900XTX and RTX4080 should be no more than £700.

That would fit the RTX3080 10GB at £600~£700 which was 20% to 25% faster than the RTX2080TI. The RTX4080 is about the same over the RTX3090TI.

Last edited:
Many people do justify buying new GPU's in a similar manner. The Titan Xp was released a few months before the 1080ti and had basically the same performance as the 1080ti. That is why I also mentioned the 4080 to be generous. There are no good deals when buying a GPU today. Only varying levels of how badly you are being rinsed by the GPU makers and retailers.

The only good deals available if you want to buy hardware to play video games are the consoles and the Steam Deck.
Dude, why are you acting like you are the only person who can see that GPU prices are anti-consumer?

I literally said:

" ...6 years later £155 more for an equivalent product [top of the stack for AMD now vs top of the stack for Nvidia then] is fairly decent in the current climate, but things are just different now [after waiting 3 years to see if prices normalised], Nvidia and AMD know that people will just pay more than pre-covid.

I don't know or care what a steam deck is, and have no interest in console gaming. Why are you even in these forums? What res do you game at, when was the last time you bought a GPU?

Also tell me how I play Star Citizen on my 4k monitor on a steam deck, or console...? That's literally the reason I bought the card as the 1080ti can't cope any more.

Save your sanctimonious nonsense for someone else. WE ALL KNOW that GPU prices are anti-consumer!

Dude, why are you acting like you are the only person who can see that GPU prices are anti-consumer?

I literally said:

" ...6 years later £155 more for an equivalent product [top of the stack for AMD now vs top of the stack for Nvidia then] is fairly decent in the current climate, but things are just different now [after waiting 3 years to see if prices normalised], Nvidia and AMD know that people will just pay more than pre-covid.

I don't know or care what a steam deck is, and have no interest in console gaming. Why are you even in these forums? What res do you game at, when was the last time you bought a GPU?

Also tell me how I play Star Citizen on my 4k monitor on a steam deck, or console...? That's literally the reason I bought the card as the 1080ti can't cope any more.

Save your sanctimonious nonsense for someone else. WE ALL KNOW that GPU prices are anti-consumer!

You were the one saying the 1080ti was comparable to a 7900XTX in order to justify your purchase. The 1080ti had top tier performance at the time whereas the 7900XTX is a long way off top tier in comparison to the 4090.

But if you are happy then that's great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom