• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Gartner publicized a report about "things as customers". Guess they got more money than gamers for GPUs!
Even more strange that they're publishing that "the post-Covid black death is over," despite shipments being down by 50m units (almost half) from a decade ago and the COVID peak.

e: What came first? A fall in GPU shipments or increased prices, have increased prices caused the fall in shipments or has the fall in shipments cause increased prices.

Last edited:
Even more strange that they're publishing that "the post-Covid black death is over," despite shipments being down by 50m units (almost half) from a decade ago and the COVID peak.

e: What came first? A fall in GPU shipments or increased prices, have increased prices caused the fall in shipments or has the fall in shipments cause increased prices.
They don't care about shipments, they care only about margins and revenue.

Right...

Q3 of this year AMD's Gaming Revenue, which includes dGPU's was $1,506 Million, operating income from that was 208 million, that's 14% margins. to reduce price all AMD can do at this point is give them away at cost. And that is still not going to be enough to satisfy people, because even that's not going to be enough to make Nvidia cards affordable, and that's the problem.
That's not and AMD problem, that's a you problem.

Nvidia don't break down their segment margins but their overall margins stand at 75% for the same quarter.

I'm growing very tired of AMD being the one getting in the neck constantly for being over priced while Nvidia get away with it no matter how expensive they get, £800 for a 4070Ti, £1100 for a 4080 and £2000 for a 4090 is now accepted as the new normal while at the same time they relentlessly bash AMD for being overpriced at £300 less for the same class of mid range GPU's.

I think some people actively want to see AMD exit this market so that Nvidia can be free to charge whatever they like for their products. Vested interests.
So you're saying anyone owning an Nvidia GPU is to blame? I'm not one of them ;)

And the prices going up recently isn't just confined to new cards. I sort of had been keeping an eye on used prices on a well known high street reseller of used stuff, and their prices have been rising since June or July and before that they had been largely stagnant, think the last time prices there were moving regularly down was at the beginning of the year. Fleabay completed price trends are pretty similar last time I looked.

Under-production seems to be major cause at least for AMD cards.

They don't care about shipments, they care only about margins and revenue.
I know they don't but it answers the question of why GPU prices are so high, when you're shipping/selling almost half of what you were a decade ago it's pretty obvious that you're either shipping less so you can raise prices or because you've raised prices fewer people are buying them.

In other words that increased prices are entirely artificial and have little, if anything, to do with things just costing more.

And the prices going up recently isn't just confined to new cards. I sort of had been keeping an eye on used prices on a well known high street reseller of used stuff, and their prices have been rising since June or July and before that they had been largely stagnant, think the last time prices there were moving regularly down was at the beginning of the year. Fleabay completed price trends are pretty similar last time I looked.

Under-production seems to be major cause at least for AMD cards.
Lower end AMD is decently priced, it's anything above which is still not acceptable.

I know they don't but it answers the question of why GPU prices are so high, when you're shipping/selling almost half of what you were a decade ago it's pretty obvious that you're either shipping less so you can raise prices or because you've raised prices fewer people are buying them.

In other words that increased prices are entirely artificial and have little, if anything, to do with things just costing more.
Well, nowadays you're competing for silicon with the wealthiest corporations in the world, the margins are all in AI.
I said it before and I still believe that things will settle this way:

Leading node: top smartphone chips (Apple)
N+1: datacenter CPUs, 2nd tier premium smartphones and AI GPU plus the occasional super-premium consumer product
N+2: consumer CPUs and mainstream GPUs

Still the same faces sucking the `kool aid` from Nvidia and its close to 80% profit margin. Yes blame AMD for Nvidia ......
For consumer / gamers GPUs prices to come down, we would need a Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, or even Huawei moment but no sign of that.

For smartphones, Statistica (and others) have these kind of charts:
espCwOy.png

In GPUs, we all know that Nvidia think of themselves as Apple, and "we are not a budget brand" AMD would be Samsung. In the current smartphone market that is only 38% or so.
2m3JGfl.png

The rest are budget brands and those are missing from the GPU market.

Barriers to entry are simply so huge, or at least there is a stratosphere high patent-wall.

Last edited:
For consumer / gamers GPUs prices to come down, we would need a Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, or even Huawei moment but no sign of that.

For smartphones, Statistica (and others) have these kind of charts:
espCwOy.png

In GPUs, we all know that Nvidia think of themselves as Apple, and "we are not a budget brand" AMD would be Samsung. In the current smartphone market that is only 38% or so.
2m3JGfl.png

The rest are budget brands and those are missing from the GPU market.

Barriers to entry are simply too huge, or at least there is a stratosphere high patent-wall.

I'm one of those people who cannot be bothered being tied to overpriced contract phones or just generally over paying for them at all. I don't use my phone like most people do, to me its just a phone.

A couple of weeks ago after some research i went to argos and bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 128GB.
120Hz AMOLED screen
Qualcomm SM6225 Snapdragon 685 chip

Even comes with a boxed 33 watt charger, try finding a phone these days with a boxed charger at all let alone a fast charger.

£180.

I'm not surprised to see them on your chart coming from nowhere at 13.7%, not far behind Apples 17.7%, its a very nice phone (it even feels quality in your hand) for half the cost of something like a Samsung A34 which is no better.

It would be nice to have a Xiaomi in the GPU space but i suspect Xiaomi are heavily subsidised by the CCP, for those who might sniff at that... all phones and their internal components are made in China.

I'm one of those people who cannot be bothered being tied to overpriced contract phones or just generally over paying for them at all. I don't use my phone like most people do, to me its just a phone.

A couple of weeks ago after some research i went to argos and bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 128GB.
120Hz AMOLED screen

Even comes with a boxed 33 watt charger, try finding a phone these days with a boxed charger at all let alone a fast charger.

£180.

I'm not surprised to see them on your chart coming from nowhere at 13.7%, not far behind Apples 17.7%, its a very nice phone (it even feels quality in your hand) for half the cost of something like a Samsung A34 which is no better.

It would be nice to have a Xiaomi in the GPU space but i suspect Xiaomi are heavily subsidised by the CCP, for those who might sniff at that... all phones and their internal components are made in China.

Nothing wrong with Xiaomi, OnePlus, Realme, Vivo etc build and quality just as good for much less , I usually buy from china so works out much cheaper then would cost to buy over here and just flash ROM

My next phone is looking like it's gonna be the OnePlus 12 CN version just waiting for global so the ROM can be flashed on :)

120Hz AMOLED screen

£180.

In reality, what you're looking at in smartphone is not as differentiated as it seems:

You've got:

- Apple (own architecture)
- Samsung (own architecture)
- Qualcomm (medium range to premium)
- Mediatek (mid-low to high range)
- UNISOC (budget to mid-low)

Basically, except for Apple and some Samsung everybody in the west is handling a SOC from either Qualcomm or Mediatek, with UNISOC targeting mainly developing countries.

So Humbug, what you've got in your hand is basically a Qualcomm Snapdragon 685 AIB with some software customization.
Once you know that, you can basically shop at a place like Kimovil and go wild, personally I'm partial to rugged phones and a I got an Ulefone Armor 12s, which is basically a smartphone that can be used as blunt weapon if needed (and that's one of the more vanilla models!).

If you want prices to go down, we gotta pray that Intel gets better (guess it's the "saviour" we deserve) or players such as Moore Threads actually makes something more than a tech demo (and that stuff is gonna be sanctioned).

Q3 of this year AMD's Gaming Revenue, which includes dGPU's was $1,506 Million, operating income from that was 208 million, that's 14% margins. to reduce price all AMD can do at this point is give them away at cost. And that is still not going to be enough to satisfy people, because even that's not going to be enough to make Nvidia cards affordable, and that's the problem.
Maybe if they cut prices they'd sell more GPUs allowing them to cut production costs per unit as buying components in higher quantities leads to better deals.

Maybe if they cut prices they'd sell more GPUs allowing them to cut production costs per unit as buying components in higher quantities leads to better deals.
I think that's a slightly ridiculous notion really. AMD are already manufacturing in volumes that would assure them the best available prices on components. They're not a tiny start-up buying things in batches of 500 from DigiKey.

I think that's a slightly ridiculous notion really. AMD are already manufacturing in volumes that would assure them the best available prices on components. They're not a tiny start-up buying things in batches of 500 from DigiKey.
Then you have to wonder why their margin is so low compared to Nvidia when they are virtually charging the same if not more per mm2 of TSMC 5nm silicon while also supposedly having a cheaper deal with TSMC.

Back
Top Bottom