• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will GPUs return to normal pricing....

Soldato
When Nvidia, for a laugh, slapped a £1000 price tag on the first Titan card....and people bought it, they thought to themselves, "Holy **** we're on to something here" from that point, prices were never going to be the same again.

Associate
Subbytna you are missing the point I think, there will always be a m,arket for the super high end cards like the Titan, like the 3090 and 6900XT and there always will be - they dont affect the overall prices as they (usualy) sell such small numbers.

Go back in time to the likes of the nVidia 690 and AMD 7990 (i think that was the AMD number) these were huge cost, impractical graphics cards that super enthusiasts who had no financial restraints bought.

If you look at the retail prices of the current high end cards such as 6800XT ands 3080 the price is about riught. You cant buy them of course as they have sold out but would you complain about the approximate £750 of a one of these high end cards?

Soldato
Stock wise it will be like last year you could not get a Quest or Nintendo switch till June/July they never recovered from last Christmas sales. I actually sold my Quest 64gb (through an etailer) for more than I bought it that was this summer. This coming year it will be worse and from what we've been told its going to be Summer 2021 but with the impending RAM shortage I think it will be another year prob this time next Xmas.

Soldato
Proper supply won't resume until mid 2021 best case. We are in pandemic wave 2 with Chinese new year on the horizon and little inventory in the channel to buffer.

Cards are increasingly built on more expensive nodes and will need more VRAM and more power regulation = more cost.
Then you have all the extra transisors for RT etc that increase the die size but are only used in a few games and then you need to pay a super computer to do the AI learning for DLSS and for all the engineers to sit with developers and add in these features.

There is always a console vs PC argument when a new console generation is launched, consoles are subisdised and games are more expensive.
Where that balances out is on the individual, but with a PC discounts are a lot better unless you are buying titles at launch.

The biggest issue is the push to 4k and 2k 144Hz.

Stick with a 1440p monitor Freesync / Gsync and 60-100fps, be prepared to turn down a setting or two and enjoy the mid range.

Associate
i took this shot myself and it remains untouched. this is a 3090 blower card.

the whole GPU hobby scene has hit rock bottom, we can't get much lower than these past four weeks.

RbCc5VSl.jpg

They are also charging the same for a certain 3080 as a Facebook scalpers, sad times indeed

That particular company is also charging nearly £1000 for a 5950x, even more than the scalpers are asking. Profiteering at its finest.

Caporegime
Isn't the answer just...

"When sales growth declines and the gaming market is strangled?"

There comes a point when Daddy won't buy their child a shiny GTX 7800 when it's the price of a car.

I have more than enough income and even I'm sitting here thinking has all this got too insane? Seriously considered a shift to consoles recently and not owned one since the original Xbox!

Ultimately we need more competition... It will be great to see Intel break into the market and also hopefully later some Chinese manufacturers. Having a 2 person race isn't good for any of us or the market.
It seems to me that most darling daughter/darling sons have an ultrawide gaming rig with a 3080, these days.

Doting mommy/daddy seems to think nothing of spending £3k on a gaming rig for their 10 year old.

I think that is a pretty new thing. Clearly there are more parents around willing to splash the cash, not just for themselves, but for gaming rigs for their kids and other halves. They aint getting hand-me-downs anymore :p

Man of Honour
My son has hand me downs - 3570k, 12GB RAM, RX480, 64GB SSD plus SATA HD, 120hz 1080p monitor, decent but aged gaming keyboard/mouse etc. Pleasantly surprised how well it runs most stuff, although it does make me wonder if the 'upgrade itch' has really been worth it at times!

As for the original question, we've got the weakness of sterling to contend with compared to the normal range during the GPU era of 1.5-2 USD:GBP. We've then also got inflation (as people have mentioned) meaning goods should cost about 50% more than they did 15 years ago. Finally consumers have shown they are prepared to pay big for gfx cards.

Obviously at the moment we've got stock shortage and mining boom (although less severe than previously). The latter of those should peter out (due to increasing mining difficulty) but the former, who knows. Maybe with high end gpus yields will genuinely be poor and mean stock is suppressed long term? So we could get a scenario where premium gfx cards perpetually carry premium pricetags in the same way that other rare commodities do like exclusive property locations.

Associate
6 months + is likely atm as long the virus is out there due to it affects parts and transports also.
Its likely almost a year can pass before we see more msrp ranges.
atm await the 6700xt series card to be announced myself (buying when who knows :)

Soldato
I'm using a GTX 970, and the need to upgrade is an understatement. But I've had at least 4 opportunities to buy a next gen graphics card so far when they were in stock, and I turned all opportunities down. I just cannot justify spending 700-800 or more on a gpu. It might be the norm for some, but not for me. I look at what else I can buy for that money and with that I could afford nearly a whole new pc or laptop. I love pc gaming as my hobby, but it is turning into a ridiculously expensive hobby more now than ever.

Associate
I was all for a 3080 or 6900XT, but just can't be bothered now. My venerable old 1080Ti is going to have to keep going for another while - it's 3 years old now (Overclocker's special edition Gigabyte) which I think was about £500 when I got it. If the price ever stabilises, I'll reconsider.

Associate
when people stop buying them at stupid prices will they drop..
Exactly...

You know what, I have been gaming for decades and I have been lucky to always be able to afford whatever, but I do find it really sad to see people behaving like brainless zombies, or as Linus (as much as I do not follow youtubers) put it "**** I***S" fanboys being happy to purchase a 3080 @ £750 with 10gb Vram just to give way to Nvidia plan to never make a good card again, i.e. 1080ti, so they can milk the zombies each year instead of allow for value for money to be sold.

IMHO I can see more people switching to consoles, as let's be honest not everyone is lucky to get whatever and the closest price, 3070 has 8gb vram so we will all laugh in six to twelve months. Again a tentative from the mafiosi at Nvidia not to provide cards with value, artificially creating limit to what people can get.

Nvidia try to shoot for the star with 20xx robbing people quite openly, that did not work out as they are nowhere to be seen except 2060 on steam hardware sales and that card cannot raytrace supermario.

Now they are trying to shoot a tiny bit lower that before but still aiming for the sky.

All you get is a bunch of, what I hope they are, maniac crazy kids including here talking absolutely nonsense showing lack of tech knowledge, history and below zero common sense...the main sufferer is the platform as PC being overpriced means more people to console and we go back to the trend of 6 years ago when PC was in a massive decline as platform, numbers cab be easily found using Google by the way for whoever wasn't in the loop back then.

AMD Pricing isn't that better but are cards that can easily last you 3 years unlike a 10gb or worse 8gb card.

Soldato
Exactly...

You know what, I have been gaming for decades and I have been lucky to always be able to afford whatever, but I do find it really sad to see people behaving like brainless zombies, or as Linus (as much as I do not follow youtubers) put it "**** I***S" fanboys being happy to purchase a 3080 @ £750 with 10gb Vram just to give way to Nvidia plan to never make a good card again, i.e. 1080ti, so they can milk the zombies each year instead of allow for value for money to be sold.

IMHO I can see more people switching to consoles, as let's be honest not everyone is lucky to get whatever and the closest price, 3070 has 8gb vram so we will all laugh in six to twelve months. Again a tentative from the mafiosi at Nvidia not to provide cards with value, artificially creating limit to what people can get.

Nvidia try to shoot for the star with 20xx robbing people quite openly, that did not work out as they are nowhere to be seen except 2060 on steam hardware sales and that card cannot raytrace supermario.

Now they are trying to shoot a tiny bit lower that before but still aiming for the sky.

All you get is a bunch of, what I hope they are, maniac crazy kids including here talking absolutely nonsense showing lack of tech knowledge, history and below zero common sense...the main sufferer is the platform as PC being overpriced means more people to console and we go back to the trend of 6 years ago when PC was in a massive decline as platform, numbers cab be easily found using Google by the way for whoever wasn't in the loop back then.

AMD Pricing isn't that better but are cards that can easily last you 3 years unlike a 10gb or worse 8gb card.

1080ti FE was £720 on release. SO £750 for a card that is twice what a 1080ti is isn't too bad.

People who cant afford just keep whining. No one cares for those who think that holding out will make them cheaper because you aren't paying for the RRP price. Some peoples want is more than yours.

2nd hand Concept 2 rowing machines going for more than new ones - why? DEMAND. Bicycles selling out, etc etc. People staying in and upgrading their PC's = demand.

AT the end of the day, unless you are gaming at 4k or UW then you don't need a 3080. a 3070/6800 will run 1440p and below quite happily. 3080's, 6800XT's 3090's and 6900XT's are for 4k or UW resolutions where these cards really do stand out.

Lets not forget that HMB2 memory used by AMD was touted to be the next best memory...what happened to that? Well they've gone with GDDR6 now.

GDDR6X has twice the bandwidth of GDDR6 and potentially double the performance. Only Micron make GDDR6X so currently have a captive market.

I wonder if in the OLED thread there are loads of people moaning that OLED 's aren't the same price as LED's and they'll not be buying OLEDS until they are down to LED levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom