• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will GPUs return to normal pricing....

ljt

ljt

Soldato
People who cant afford just keep whining. No one cares for those who think that holding out will make them cheaper because you aren't paying for the RRP price. Some peoples want is more than yours.

*Sigh* that old excuse. It's nothing to do with being able to afford it, why does that point always get brought up.

You do realise affordability isn't the sole reason someone chooses not to buy something?

Caporegime
AT the end of the day, unless you are gaming at 4k or UW then you don't need a 3080. a 3070/6800 will run 1440p and below quite happily. 3080's, 6800XT's 3090's and 6900XT's are for 4k or UW resolutions where these cards really do stand out.
That's just plain wrong. Any res from 1080p upwards at high refresh needs a fairly beefy card.

If you're saying 1080/30-60 FPS doesn't need a 3080 you might (might) be right, depending on the game.

1080p/240Hz will absolutely need something that powerful.

1440p/144Hz will absolutely need something that powerful.

Just look how CP2077 is currently killing all the top end cards, heh.

Soldato
Where’d you get that crap from? It’s these kind of increasingly common comments that put the pc community on a downward trajectory.

1080ti £720 on release
3080 AIB's £700-£750 on release.

Top end cards always been in this price bracket. High demand and poor supply has created higher prices - for those than can want to afford.

If anything, judging by the demand - PC gaming is currently on an upward trajectory.

Soldato
That's just plain wrong. Any res from 1080p upwards at high refresh needs a fairly beefy card.

If you're saying 1080/30-60 FPS doesn't need a 3080 you might (might) be right, depending on the game.

1080/240 will absolutely need something that powerful.

1440p/144 will absolutely need something that powerful.

@ 240hz, usually the CPU becomes the bottleneck

3060ti and 3070 quite capable at running many games at 125-145fps.
Even a 3090 in some games cant do 144 fps at 1440p. Depends on the game and how well optimized it is.

Caporegime
@ 240hz, usually the CPU becomes the bottleneck

3060ti and 3070 quite capable at running many games at 125-145fps.
Even a 3090 in some games cant do 144 fps at 1440p. Depends on the game and how well optimized it is.
So we can agree that statements like "a 3080 is overkill for anything except 4K or UW" are normally just wrong :p

I personally don't believe in "overkill". There is always more FPS to be had, or higher settings to enable.

Soldato
So we can agree that statements like "a 3080 is overkill for anything except 4K or UW" are normally just wrong :p

I personally don't believe in "overkill". There is always more FPS to be had, or higher settings to enable.

Where did I say 'overkill'?

I just said you don't NEED a 3080 for 1440p a 3060ti/3070 or 6800 do well at 1440p.

Though you could say that we all need a 3090 or 6900XT, many have bought the 3090 and spent THAT much because some couldn't get a 3080!

Associate
When do we think we'll get back to somewhat normal pricing

In 2004 the Radeon X800 XT was launched at $499 if my google-fu is correct. That's equivalent to $687 in 2020 money, not far off the $699 price of the 3080 FE.

The "Halo product" going mainsteam (Titan, 3090, 2080Ti probably, arguably 6900XT) is new, but the launch prices of the "high but not crazy" end aren't actually all that crazy, historically speaking.

If you mean "When will I be able to get one at or below RRP", I think you're just going to have to hang on, possibly until spring

Last edited:
Associate
It seems to me that most darling daughter/darling sons have an ultrawide gaming rig with a 3080, these days.

Doting mommy/daddy seems to think nothing of spending £3k on a gaming rig for their 10 year old.

I think that is a pretty new thing. Clearly there are more parents around willing to splash the cash, not just for themselves, but for gaming rigs for their kids and other halves. They aint getting hand-me-downs anymore :p

There was always kids that got ponies for x-mas, but remember some of the big selling home computers of the late 80's such as the Amiga 500 cost around £400, maybe £500 in the first year, and today that would be in the region of a high end gaming PC rather than a hand-me-down Windows7 Dell. Edit: maybe mid-tier gaming PC rather than high end.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1080ti £720 on release
3080 AIB's £700-£750 on release.

Top end cards always been in this price bracket. High demand and poor supply has created higher prices - for those than can want to afford.

If anything, judging by the demand - PC gaming is currently on an upward trajectory.

Point missed entirely.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
many have bought the 3090 and spent THAT much because some couldn't get a 3080!

Utterly shocking really. I could afford a 3090, but I just couldn't spend £1500+ on one because they simply aren't worth it (to me anyway) I'd rather go without. Same with the 3080, in my head I have a psychological limit that they are worth no more than £700, same with the 6800XT, they aren't worth more than £600 to me, despite the fact I could afford them, there comes a time when I feel uncomfortable parting with that much money for something that isn't worth it.

Soldato
In 2004 the Radeon X800 XT was launched at $499 if my google-fu is correct. That's equivalent to $687 in 2020 money, not far off the $699 price of the 3080 FE.

The "Halo product" going mainsteam (Titan, 3090, 2080Ti probably, arguably 6900XT) is new, but the launch prices of the "high but not crazy" end aren't actually all that crazy, historically speaking.

I paid £850 for my 3080OC a few weeks ago now. Ummmed and ahhh'd mahy times, then just thought; I game most days, is another £100 over RRP worth saving if I have to wait another 4-5 month? WHassat £1 a day? Nope.

Soldato
It does yes, but equally it bears no correlation or relation to affordability, which is the bit that sentence proceeded

You said I thought affordability was the 'sole' reason people don't buy it. When it wasn't, because another reason followed it.

I guess apart from those who don't want one. The ultimate reason comes down to 'worth', is it worth it? I guess some people think it is worth £750 to them but you don't.

Maybe all the people that have been buying them are the heaviest gamers. If you dont game that much then you'll wait to see if it's cheaper.

Even 1080ti's went above RRP for a good while after release and took ages to come back down to RRP and I don't remember there was a supply problem. They just went up coz they were good. These 3080's replace that big jump in performance. Oh and at the time, they'd released the Titan at way more money a few months before, and the 1080ti nearly matched it for much less.

So why won't you buy a 3080 at £750? Oh, didn't see that post - a psychological limit! I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I guess I was there at the beginning, but I kept looking at the benchmarks and I game at 4k 120hz and it was just worth it to have it now, my psychological limit was eroded due to how well it performed at 4k. First card that does 4k well in many games and with DLSS 2.0 to help it if it's well implemented.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
You said I thought affordability was the 'sole' reason people don't buy it. When it wasn't, because another reason followed it.

I guess apart from those who don't want one. The ultimate reason comes down to 'worth', is it worth it? I guess some people think it is worth £750 to them but you don't.

Maybe all the people that have been buying them are the heaviest gamers. If you dont game that much then you'll wait to see if it's cheaper.

Even 1080ti's went above RRP for a good while after release and took ages to come back down to RRP and I don't remember there was a supply problem. They just went up coz they were good. These 3080's replace that big jump in performance. Oh and at the time, they'd released the Titan at way more money a few months before, and the 1080ti nearly matched it for much less.

So why won't you buy a 3080 at £750? Oh, didn't see that post - a psychological limit! I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I guess I was there at the beginning, but I kept looking at the benchmarks and I game at 4k 120hz and it was just worth it to have it now, my psychological limit was eroded due to how well it performed at 4k. First card that does 4k well in many games and with DLSS 2.0 to help it if it's well implemented.

I think you missed my point.

You started your sentence with -

"people who can't afford it" which to me means they don't have the funds avaliable.

Then you ended the same sentence with "some peoples want is more than yours"
which is irrelevant, because if they can't afford it then the amount of "want" makes little difference.

That was the point I was trying to get across.

The amount of want is only relevant if you can initially afford the asking price!

I was also simply pointing out that affordability isn't the only reason people are complaining and not buying, that was all.

And in answer to your question about why I personally don't think the 3080 isn't worth more than £700 is because I dont think its good enough to warrant that price. £650 its borderline, add a custom cooler, is worth no more than £50 on top. Any more than that then gaming for me isn't worth it.

Soldato
Where’d you get that crap from? It’s these kind of increasingly common comments that put the pc community on a downward trajectory.

Don't worry his statement made me laugh too. Speaking purely from top 3% of UK on income.

I think some of us are just perhaps more sensible with money and put it where value is? Not much we can do there but try educate, no point pressing the point further than that.

Soldato
Utterly shocking really. I could afford a 3090, but I just couldn't spend £1500+ on one because they simply aren't worth it (to me anyway) I'd rather go without. Same with the 3080, in my head I have a psychological limit that they are worth no more than £700, same with the 6800XT, they aren't worth more than £600 to me, despite the fact I could afford them, there comes a time when I feel uncomfortable parting with that much money for something that isn't worth it.

Same here. I actually saw the 3090s in stock the other day and thought I could just buy one of these and put the worry about upgrading again to bed for several years. But the money is insane and 3090 is barely much better than the 3080 according to some benchmarks but costs significantly more... Also for the same money I can build a whole new computer and thought there is incredibly more value in doing that than spending it all on one graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom