When younger people are more senior at work

Associate
OP
I'm annoyed that the CEO of BP is 3 years younger than me.

That should be my job as I am older!!!

To be fair I'd not take there drop in earnings, but still, age n stuff means important as my old MD told me when I was 11.

Look in a mirror, that is the issue, not the age of those above.

That's not what I'm saying. Everybody in my industry above a certain level works round the clock. Their entire life revolves around the industry. I don't want that sort of life especially in an industry I hate. Unless there's an emergency (in advertising, yeah right) I don't work any more than my contracted hours.

If I worked in a more interesting industry then I may be willing to dedicate more of my life to it.

Soldato
I was an acting machine tech/supervisor on shop floor at 19 only my second year of employment, and an (assistant) manager at 21. When I was assistant, the manager wanted me to handle allocation of staff, but only 3 weeks after I got promoted he quit his job, and wasnt immediately replaced, I had only done a few days of training and was thrown in the deep end. My agency staff supervisor was in her 40s, I delegated a lot of things to her, but I had to deal with non agency staff directly as she had no authority over them. There was a bit of a wtf from some people early on, but it wasnt that bad, which I think was because I was respected as a known hard worker on the shop floor rather than some young guy been directly recruited.

The biggest issue for me is that this job of assistant manager was kind of an experiment by the company, my salary was only about 20% higher than what I had as a normal shop floor operative as it wasnt a role that existed before and the other 3 shifts didnt have it, and lower than the technicians, actual front line managers were paid about 3-4x my salary. Once the manager quit I had the same responsibilities, including dealing with the crappy side of the job where you have to be an ****hole in cutting down manning, so the company can meet its profitability targets, this was an eventual toll as I was seen more and more as a manager and less as a hardworking shop floor dude. I kept been promised they would back date a proper contract but it never happened. On top of all this I was doing my management training during days I had to also work my shift when I was on nights. There was a spell I used one of the first aid rooms to sleep. Training ended at 5, shift started at 7, so had maybe an hour or so sleep if lucky.

I eventually got moved to a office role where I no longer had to be responsible for shop floor staff and my training was stopped then as well which in the end was a relief as I did find been a front line manager overwhelming.

To give an idea of the numbers I was responsible for about 60 people on my shift.

Associate
That's not what I'm saying. Everybody in my industry above a certain level works round the clock. Their entire life revolves around the industry. I don't want that sort of life especially in an industry I hate. Unless there's an emergency (in advertising, yeah right) I don't work any more than my contracted hours.

If I worked in a more interesting industry then I may be willing to dedicate more of my life to it.
Here's something for you, if you dont have the motivation to work at the job you are employed to do for X reasons, have not looked elsewhere or applied yourself to move off to a better job and just going to jump on any forum and whine about it, you will never be happy and never be in a job that you will enjoy.

Can anyone actually imagine this guy in an interview?
"so tell me the reason you are looking to move on" - "everyones younger than me, works harder and understands what to do in the department im in, where as I have no clue what im doing or what im doing it for, dont enjoy working for younger people and feel like I should be progressing."

"okay, so what skills are you going to bring to this new department and industry that you have not worked in before" - "it seems interesting, so I can dedicate my time to it"

I know for a fact, you would never make it past any interview with me with half of the views you have shared in here.

apologies if anyone thinks this is quite harsh or bullying.

Soldato
Here's something for you, if you dont have the motivation to work at the job you are employed to do for X reasons, have not looked elsewhere or applied yourself to move off to a better job and just going to jump on any forum and whine about it, you will never be happy and never be in a job that you will enjoy.

Can anyone actually imagine this guy in an interview?
"so tell me the reason you are looking to move on" - "everyones younger than me, works harder and understands what to do in the department im in, where as I have no clue what im doing or what im doing it for, dont enjoy working for younger people and feel like I should be progressing."

"okay, so what skills are you going to bring to this new department and industry that you have not worked in before" - "it seems interesting, so I can dedicate my time to it"

I know for a fact, you would never make it past any interview with me with half of the views you have shared in here.

apologies if anyone thinks this is quite harsh or bullying.
This is 2022, of course its bullying

Associate
OP
Leaving the industry is easier said than done. Like I said I had an interview 10 years ago in an industry I'm very much interested in but didn't get it because I didn't have management experience. As I'm now earning more and still don't have management experience then I'm not going to get a job there now.

Last time I did leave the industry I was working in a temporary job. Once that ended I was offered a job in this industry so came back to it because it was either that or unemployment.

I don't think anyone would pass an interview if they said what they really thought.

The advertising industry is notorious for being full of young people but that's not to say other industries don't have them too. I found it very disheartening a couple of years ago when I had an interview with a department head at a bank who had only been out of university for 3 years (I checked their LinkedIn). I didn't get that job but definitely thought I should be managing them and not the other way round.

Associate
I had an interview with a department head at a bank who had only been out of university for 3 years (I checked their LinkedIn). I didn't get that job but definitely thought I should be managing them and not the other way round.
OK, I'll bite, why do you think you should be managing them?

Or what does everyone else see that you don't?

Soldato
The advertising industry is notorious for being full of young people but that's not to say other industries don't have them too. I found it very disheartening a couple of years ago when I had an interview with a department head at a bank who had only been out of university for 3 years (I checked their LinkedIn). I didn't get that job but definitely thought I should be managing them and not the other way round.

This is hilarious. How much banking experience do you have and what is your degree in?

My boss is 14 years younger than me (I'm 44), and he's great at his job , very technical in our area of work and a good manager. The only negative (for me) is he's super ambitious and likely won't be my boss in a year or so due to progressing.

Soldato
The older you get, the more you have to get used to younger people being more senior. I think my current boss is probably a couple of years younger than me - but when you're in your 40's the differences are all kind of relative.

What I do have issue with is when someone younger, less experienced, and less suitable for the role gets 'fast tracked' into a leadership role for whatever reason. I've had it in the past, and it was just a nightmare. When someone is more interested in 'learning to be a manager' than getting a job done - you become the main source of their 'learning and development project'.

Had to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

Soldato
“When younger people are more senior at work”, it means you are a failure :D

I’m sure someone beat me to that.

It’s about ability and how they help you not their age. They aren’t going to be asking you about grime or pokemon and then marking you down for not knowing. It’s no different to saying someone is too old for the job.

Take them on their merits, and if there are none that’s about them and not their age. Find a new job.

Man of Honour
I was doing my management training during days I had to also work my shift when I was on nights. There was a spell I used one of the first aid rooms to sleep. Training ended at 5, shift started at 7, so had maybe an hour or so sleep if lucky.
That's disgraceful, you are legally entitled to 11hrs of rest per day. Unless your training was just a couple of hours and your night shift finished by 4am, this shouldn't be happening.

Back
Top Bottom