When younger people are more senior at work

Soldato
If they are capable I don't see the problem.

Only ever had 1 direct manager younger than me and he had a bit of an attitude problem in so much as he thought he knew better than everyone else, initially he seemed pretty decent, but I soon realised fresh out of uni and straight into a management position with no experience in the industry he was a little "green" and it showed, we ended up butting heads and I left shortly after. his manager was only 2 years his senior though and he seemed to be more than capable.

Soldato
Leaving the industry is easier said than done. Like I said I had an interview 10 years ago in an industry I'm very much interested in but didn't get it because I didn't have management experience. As I'm now earning more and still don't have management experience then I'm not going to get a job there now.

Last time I did leave the industry I was working in a temporary job. Once that ended I was offered a job in this industry so came back to it because it was either that or unemployment.

I don't think anyone would pass an interview if they said what they really thought.

The advertising industry is notorious for being full of young people but that's not to say other industries don't have them too. I found it very disheartening a couple of years ago when I had an interview with a department head at a bank who had only been out of university for 3 years (I checked their LinkedIn). I didn't get that job but definitely thought I should be managing them and not the other way round.
I changed industries almost 10 years ago now. I took a huge step down in pay and seniority, and I worked my butt off the first few years in my free time to gain the industry knowledge I needed. It doesn't come for free, and does require sacrifices.

I have at times since changing industry been reporting to people significantly younger and less experienced than me. Part of being a successful manager though is not having your behaviour defined by preconceptions (you could easily call this bigotry), and finding ways to work with people that brings the best out of everyone involved, regardless of their age, experience, favourite band, etc.

Demonstrate you can work with people well in these situations, and in my experience your employer will be delighted to find they have more good managers than they thought they had, and reshuffle the organisation to make the most of your experience.

Caporegime
Leaving the industry is easier said than done. Like I said I had an interview 10 years ago in an industry I'm very much interested in but didn't get it because I didn't have management experience. As I'm now earning more and still don't have management experience then I'm not going to get a job there now.

10 years ago... come on man, listen to yourself there.

Why was management experience or lack of it an issue? Did the job have management duties? If you didn't have management experience wouldn't that also be an issue for a similar role within your current industry too?

You'd stated leaving your current issue is hard then cited some issue irrelevant to leaving a particular industry but rather getting a job requiring management experience and which arose 10 years ago.

Surely, in 10 years, you could have gotten some management experience or indeed applied for roles in a different industry that didn't require it.

Soldato
That's disgraceful, you are legally entitled to 11hrs of rest per day. Unless your training was just a couple of hours and your night shift finished by 4am, this shouldn't be happening.
Shift was 7 to 7, rotating days nights alternate weeks, initially it was 2 hours a day on night shift weeks or 4 hours a day on my days off (shifts were 4 on 4 off), but they wanted to fast track it after my manager quit and the hours were expanded, it was crazy. Had to use the company shower as well, just wasnt enough time to go home, rest, wash etc. then come back again some days.

Associate
OP
If that person went to university when they were 18 (which I would guess they did because they looked about 12) then that means I finished school before they even started school.

My degree is in business management and I have no experience of banking.

I have changed jobs more than once in the last 10 years. The job I referred to did have management responsibilities.

It's true that I should leave this industry. I thought I'd succeeded in doing that with my last job.

Soldato
I think your disdain and generally puzzling attitude towards younger people will probably not be very helpful in securing a management role.

Associate
If that person went to university when they were 18 (which I would guess they did because they looked about 12) then that means I finished school before they even started school.

My degree is in business management and I have no experience of banking.

I have changed jobs more than once in the last 10 years. The job I referred to did have management responsibilities.

It's true that I should leave this industry. I thought I'd succeeded in doing that with my last job.
You should probably give up work, you clearly dont want to work, dont want to better your self, got given clear instruction on how to improve 10 years ago and did nothing with it.
Lets face it, you have not put any time in to better yourself and feel entitled that you should be in a better position due to your age and age alone. Your skills or wants dont mean a thing if you dont have any experience, especially for moving to a new industry/company and seeking a management role.

"It's true that I should leave this industry. I thought I'd succeeded in doing that with my last job." - so you chose a job doing the same thing without researching the context of the org nor what they do? how the hell did you land the job as it would be embarrassing to see how unprepared you are.

Get the hell off here and go get some counselling, you got some internal problems that are not work related.

Associate
I have staff below me 15 years older then me. I worked hard to get to this position and if any of them gave me a hard time because of it they would be out the door very quickly.

Luckily they are all reasonable people and we work well together, with your attitude you won't be going anywhere fast.

Associate
OP
I think your disdain and generally puzzling attitude towards younger people will probably not be very helpful in securing a management role.
Is it puzzling though? If somebody was born in the 1990s I can't help but regard them as babies.

You should probably give up work, you clearly dont want to work, dont want to better your self, got given clear instruction on how to improve 10 years ago and did nothing with it.
Lets face it, you have not put any time in to better yourself and feel entitled that you should be in a better position due to your age and age alone. Your skills or wants dont mean a thing if you dont have any experience, especially for moving to a new industry/company and seeking a management role.

"It's true that I should leave this industry. I thought I'd succeeded in doing that with my last job." - so you chose a job doing the same thing without researching the context of the org nor what they do? how the hell did you land the job as it would be embarrassing to see how unprepared you are.

Get the hell off here and go get some counselling, you got some internal problems that are not work related.
Of course I don't want to work but I need the money. I thought I was going to get management experience 10 years ago there were plans in place for someone for me to manage to come in. Yes I stuck around too long when it became apparent it wasn't happening.

I chose a job that was in a different industry and I was a lot happier doing said job. I came back to this industry because my only alternative at that point in time was unemployment.

I have staff below me 15 years older then me. I worked hard to get to this position and if any of them gave me a hard time because of it they would be out the door very quickly.

Luckily they are all reasonable people and we work well together, with your attitude you won't be going anywhere fast.
I've worked hard to get to where I've got to but hard work doesn't get rewarded in advertising. That's why I stopped caring years ago.

Soldato
Yes, it is puzzling.

Age doesn't automatically make you better at things.

Take your good self, it sounds like you've spent 10 years not improving or changing or learning - if you are 40 then you are effectively 30 in terms of experience.

Which means that you might as well have been born in 1992.

Which makes you a baby.

Associate
Of course I don't want to work but I need the money. I thought I was going to get management experience 10 years ago there were plans in place for someone for me to manage to come in. Yes I stuck around too long when it became apparent it wasn't happening.

I chose a job that was in a different industry and I was a lot happier doing said job. I came back to this industry because my only alternative at that point in time was unemployment.
okay maybe I mis-read a few things but thats not how it come across, it seemed this way all your choosing.
hell the fact you have sat around doing nothing for 10 years on the whim of a promise of potentially managing someone below you is bonkers.

This is for everyone - if your employer promises you anything and its not being delivered within a year, its time for a new job and get out as soon as possible.

You stuck around for too long, do you think it is fair to punish younger who havent stuck around and who have pulled their finger out to get what they want? I dont, personally all this sounds like is envy and entitlement.
You are envy that younger are progressing, feeling entitled that it should be yours without training or experience.

Stop with the pity party and everything else in this thread, get up and do something about it and improve yourself, or dont and stay in the same ****.
Take your good self, it sounds like you've spent 10 years not improving or changing or learning - if you are 40 then you are effectively 30 in terms of experience.

Which makes you a baby.
spot on!

Your clear hatred for driven, determined younger people is quite worrying. Does this move in to other aspects of your life? If a younger person has a better car? better house? Are you bitter, full of envy and hate for them?

Associate
OP
Yes, it is puzzling.

Age doesn't automatically make you better at things.

Which makes you a baby.

Lets say someone gets a graduate job in advertising aged 21 and they get promoted each year until they are 26 when they become Vice President which is the highest you get before you go into MD/CEO territory. 10 years later they are still Vice President. Does that mean they might as well still be 26 instead of 36?

okay maybe I mis-read a few things but thats not how it come across, it seemed this way all your choosing.
hell the fact you have sat around doing nothing for 10 years on the whim of a promise of potentially managing someone below you is bonkers.

This is for everyone - if your employer promises you anything and its not being delivered within a year, its time for a new job and get out as soon as possible.

You stuck around for too long, do you think it is fair to punish younger who havent stuck around and who have pulled their finger out to get what they want? I dont, personally all this sounds like is envy and entitlement.
You are envy that younger are progressing, feeling entitled that it should be yours without training or experience.

Stop with the pity party and everything else in this thread, get up and do something about it and improve yourself, or dont and stay in the same ****.

spot on!

Your clear hatred for driven, determined younger people is quite worrying. Does this move in to other aspects of your life? If a younger person has a better car? better house? Are you bitter, full of envy and hate for them?

I've not sat around doing nothing for 10 years. I did hang around at the company I was at for longer than I should have but I did leave. The job I went to had a manager who was 16 years older than me and the rest of the team was flat structured where everyone was slightly older than me when I joined. That manager was constantly fighting battles and being given near impossible targets. One thing you were guaranteed at his level was that you would get pushed out one day.

Given that and the fact I'd still not managed to get my head around advertising and had never had any interest in it I decided I needed to move industries. I got a job in a different industry that was a one year contract with the view to go permanent afterwards. Then covid happened so the job ended.

Being unemployed at a time when loads of people were losing their jobs I couldn't afford to be too picky so I took the first job I was offered which is the one I'm doing now which is back in the advertising industry.

I was once young and ambitious myself but the advertising industry drained it all out of me.

Yes it does move into other aspects of my life. I was fuming when my younger cousin started making more money than me. I also refuse to listen to any music by anyone younger than me and always check their date of birth first.

Soldato
Yes it does move into other aspects of my life. I was fuming when my younger cousin started making more money than me. I also refuse to listen to any music by anyone younger than me and always check their date of birth first.

Welcome to life! People put in the work and get results. Some get lucky and its the right place at the right time.

Soldato
So basically the OP is just salty that he's being out performed by younger people and he's too lazy to work hard to achieve it. I believe this is what is called "entitled"?

No, its what you call a Troll, have you read any of this thread? How many times have I said it's a Troll, if people stopped feeding it, it would go away

Back
Top Bottom