Where are our mods?

Man of Honour
RTM's should only be half of moderation in my experience. It wouldn't hurt to have a don actively posting/participating in this board, it helps to get to know the posters and posting mentality on the board when it comes to diffusing situations. Now obviously I wouldn't expect a don who has no interest in gaming to start doing that so why not appoint another who does?

You don't need to post to be active in a particular forum. There are Dons and UBs who regularly read this forum.

Soldato
They have though, all RTMs in the last 2 weeks bar one have been actioned; and that last one didn't warrant any action. To say RTMs aren't being dealt with is simply untrue.

As for active moderating, Jedifragger is still actively moderating as the mod log proves.

I usually go with the policy "if I am not sure, I will RTM". Worst happens nothing happens. In other words moderators feel it's within the forum rules.

I know I can be a bit OTT with signature / hot link RTM's.... but I remember some of the "images" sites use to for protection on hotlinks if they find a website drain their bandwidth.

The best forum moderator of all is actually something we all have:

Common sense. :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's not the blatant competitor posting, but the hinting that's outrageous.

I RTM where possible but some people try to push the rules through clever lingo :p

Soldato
It's not the blatant competitor posting, but the hinting that's outrageous.

I RTM where possible but some people try to push the rules through clever lingo :p

People seem to think that hinting is fine and dandy.

It's so obvious too.

Example if they were giving hints about Adam from the bible:

"He was apparently the first man, his wife was called Eve."

What the sweet hell is the difference between saying that and just saying Adam? It's just as obvious! :mad:

Don
Just because they do not post does not mean they are not moderating the foums:confused:

But it also does not give the impression of this subsection having active moderators, does it not?

I never said either were doing nothing, or were rubbish at doing what they do. I just said you don't see them post, or even see them edit stuff... There's no visual presence and that's part of the reason some people feel as though they can get away with competitor hinting and other breaking of the rules.

Man of Honour
But it also does not give the impression of this subsection having active moderators, does it not?

I never said either were doing nothing, or were rubbish at doing what they do. I just said you don't see them post, or even see them edit stuff... There's no visual presence and that's part of the reason some people feel as though they can get away with competitor hinting and other breaking of the rules.

Surely as long as the moderating is done it doesn't matter if it is obvious or not?

Don
I have been added to the moderator list for consoles and PC games so hopefully an extra pair of eyes will help.

It's not so much the extra pair of eyes which are needed it's the more visual presence.

Example: A street has CCTV which watches down on it, a crime happens and it's dealt with.

Another street has less CCTV, but has police officers walking down the street, said crime is less to happen..

Just my way of looking at it...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It might not be practicle to auto-star every competitor but surely it would help to auto-star the big names.

I realise people can circumvent this easily by using punctuation etc, but frankly some posters forget / don't read the rules and it only takes a few seconds before many people have seen the name in a busy launch thread.

Just a suggestion :)

Man of Honour
It's not so much the extra pair of eyes which are needed it's the more visual presence.

Example: A street has CCTV which watches down on it, a crime happens and it's dealt with.

Another street has less CCTV, but has police officers walking down the street, said crime is less to happen..

Just my way of looking at it...

Surely the result is the same? As long as people RTM it's not a problem.

Soldato
It might not be practicle to auto-star every competitor but surely it would help to auto-star the big names.

I realise people can circumvent this easily by using punctuation etc, but frankly some posters forget / don't read the rules and it only takes a few seconds before many people have seen the name in a busy launch thread.

Just a suggestion :)

It's impossible to auto star a lot, because they share the name of common everyday things in life...

I prefer the method of quoting the poster (staring out whichever competitor they mention) and then tell them they have broken the rules. I RTM at the same time usually too.

Don
You're analogy doesn't work in this scenario. If someone sees a troll post before the thread is cleaned up it's not a problem.

Trolls are very hard to keep under control any ways in general.

If the rules of this forum are enforced by mods visablly, then it will spread teh message to not break the rules. Which is what I'm trying to get out. But there is no visable presence.

Soldato
lol

sometimes i wish it was more relaxed but to be honest we all know where to look for what and the rule here doesn't really inhibit the forums at all.

No company wants links taking their customers to a rival site its common sense.

Exactly. Especially since the forums naturally cost them money to run, if 200 people jump on a link to a good deal on whatever part from a competitor OCUK lose money from a service they are providing.

Back
Top Bottom