• I will buy neither console

Votes: 88 8.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 120 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It would be cheaper, but it's PART OF THE SYSTEM. So saying you're paying for it is ridiculous. That's what it costs. It'd be cheaper without a control pad, or HDMI lead, or Blu-Ray drive too. But they're also part of the system and that's what it costs.

What MS could do is lower the cost and make money over a longer time from software sales, but they wouldn't do it by removing a part of the system.

So it is essential to have kinect to actually use the xbox? I thought people had been talking about being able to disable it.

Caporegime
Oh wonderful... :rolleyes:

I hope they have substantially improved those play and charge kits as the 360 ones were dire. I ended up going through about 4 of them with the longest lived one lasting about a year before giving up on them and resorting to having the controllers permanently plugged in.

I bought an orb dock. It works well and I have had zero issues

The play and charge kits were dire

41PPeursibL_SX__zps9f7bf420.jpg

Have it sitting on one of my floorstander speakers with 3d glasses on other, think it is really neat

Last edited:
Soldato

I hope they have substantially improved those play and charge kits as the 360 ones were dire. I ended up going through about 4 of them with the longest lived one lasting about a year before giving up on them and resorting to having the controllers permanently plugged in.

well at least you can put fresh batteries in. PS3 you get a 10cm long recharge cable and when its dead you are screwed.

Caporegime
Just read on Kotaku and it seems you can actually turn it off fully. MS really need to release a statement with all these answers on, there is so much old/false info out there it's unreal!

Absolutely. A lot of this came direct from e3 issues where they'd say one thing, then Phil Harrison would be saying something else in private interviews. However, I think they've been pretty clear on the Kinect off thing, but the focus of their XboxReveal event was the use of Kinect and booting the system with it and as a result there was a lot of assumption that it was always on.

What MS should have done is a 30-45 minute Q&A at the time and been completely open about everything that way, on the stream.

If they were that clear from minute one, there wouldn't have been such a furore. I feel the same way about the digital way they were handling sharing, it was actually excellent, but the misinformation from multiple sources absolutely harmed the perception of it and, as with Kinect's 'always watching you' focus we had the same focus on 'can't sell, trade or rent?' (even though you could do all of those - renting was being worked on with GameFly in the US.)

It's been a PR nightmare and Microsoft putting out a tag-team of Mattick, Spencer and Harrison has just confused people, especially as they didn't seem to know what the other was saying.

Caporegime

They worked brilliantly for me for years and I didn't understand peoples complaints. Then I went and worked away for 5 weeks, came home and all 4 of them were dead, including one that was 3 months old. Couldn't believe it.

Caporegime
The Xbox One comes with a BluRay drive but you don't need to use that either :)

Going by some of the reactions last night you'd think they'd done away with digital completely by a certain few after the reversal by microsoft.

You also alienate a large portion of your consumer base if you don't have a blu ray drive to play the discs, since a lot of people a) don't have good internet access and b) crap download speeds.

Not sure you're alienating too many without a kinect which you could sell as a peripheral

Man of Honour
OP
What makes it more expensive then :confused:

ps3ud0 :cool:
I think you're missing his point. Kinect is a component of Xbox One, much like the GPU, CPU and HDD. Yes, the fact it's there adds to the cost, but it's not like you get a seperate box and it's a forced bundle. The whole package, the sum total of all the components, is the reason for its cost.

Caporegime
I think you're missing his point. Kinect is a component of Xbox One, much like the GPU, CPU and HDD. Yes, the fact it's there adds to the cost, but it's not like you get a seperate box and it's a forced bundle. The whole package, the sum total of all the components, is the reason for its cost.

So can the kinect be disabled or is it essential ?

Caporegime
I think I get it, so why is it so diffcult to comprehend the idea of having a Kinect-less XO? Unlike the GPU, CPU and HDD, the XO would work quite fine without it no?

Caporegime
So it is essential to have kinect to actually use the xbox? I thought people had been talking about being able to disable it.

You can turn it off, but the features that it enables in games, or potentially at least (and with everyone owning one, this is a window that is completely open for developers to have fun with) require there to be one in every box so that 100% of the audience have one. It was pointless for publishers having developers work on features because the market for it was so small. You could make a Kinect feature for a potential 20% (at a guess), or Xbox 360 for 100%. Now 100% of people on Xbox One have both.

Soldato

But you can't turn off the CPU, GPU and Hard Drive when you're playing a game like you supposedly can with the Kinect. It's a bundled accessory no matter how you look at it in my opinion.

Man of Honour
OP
I think I get it, so why is it so diffcult to comprehend the idea of having a Kinect-less XO? Unlike the GPU, CPU and HDD, the XO would work quite fine without it no?

The reasoning is that MS want to make sure everyone who buys an Xbox One has a Kinect. They obviously see it as an integral part of their future vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom