Who can be an English football role model?

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously Beckham.

He never cheated on Vic. He is a truly lovely guy. He should be everyone's role model.

Perfect. All kids look up to him. He is a great dad and a marvelous footballer. What else do you want from a role model?

Other than Beckham, I would say Walcott.

Associate
Gave it some thought, and the last person I can really think of with enough fame / time in the lime light and the right image is probably Gary Lineker?

Lineker is an intelligent bloke, you can clearly tell and I think he's great on MOTD, etc.

His record of never even getting a yellow card in games is pretty impressive too.

However didn't he leave his wife to shack up with a Lingerie model half his age?
...I suppose we all would given the opportunity.

Caporegime
Lineker is an intelligent bloke, you can clearly tell and I think he's great on MOTD, etc.

His record of never even getting a yellow card in games is pretty impressive too.

However didn't he leave his wife to shack up with a Lingerie model half his age?
...I suppose we all would given the opportunity.

Yeh but i dont think he cheated on his first wife...it just didnt work after a number of yrs between them...im pretty sure thats what happened although wouldnt be surprised if he did cheat on her.

As for Rooney, the papers or should i say ragtops are saying that he doesnt give a toss if Colleen leaves him and calls it day...he wont bother fighting for his marriage which i think is a terrible attitude but neither is he going to let Colleen or her family take advantage of him either...to be perfectly fair shes only done well because of Rooney ie riding his popularity...but still he has a kid and says he doesnt care whether his wife leaves him or not....not a very good role model attitude to have imho.

Soldato
Yeh he was and he went off with a 60yr old prostitute back then but apparently Coleens family 'made' her get back with him because they knew he was going to make it and so if it happened again they can bleed him dry.

Caporegime
Tosh. Ecuador/Argentina/Germany (setup 3 of the six goals)/Greece - that's just off the top of my head.

I'd rather have 11 Beckham's in my England team than most of the current crop of *****.

Those games before or after the greece game?

There are far more games he did nothing than he inspired england on. He was not a leader. He had good ball delivery but even in his prime he wasn't even the 3rd best player or most influential in the team at united.

Brand Beckham brainwashing, kudos to them for it. He's made a serious career out of being a reasonable footballer for with excellent dead ball skills.

Associate
Those games before or after the greece game?

There are far more games he did nothing than he inspired england on. He was not a leader. He had good ball delivery but even in his prime he wasn't even the 3rd best player or most influential in the team at united.

Brand Beckham brainwashing, kudos to them for it. He's made a serious career out of being a reasonable footballer for with excellent dead ball skills.

Well Greece was 2001, so I'm pretty sure the others (maybe not Ecuador) were after.

Anyway, I never said he was the most skilful player in the team, but for attitude and team play not many compare with him.

He may not have played great or inspired in every game, but then show me the last England player that performed consistently in every game?

And brand Beckham brainwashing? I don't think so. Off the field, yes. But on the field Beckham's football said it all.

Associate
^this.

he wasn't insanely talented, but he always performed well and showed great spirit. You always got the sense that Beckham always gave everything he had to give, compare and contrast that with Gerrard/Lampard!

Permabanned
No matter what you say, England national team is in turmoil, manager that is wacko and losing the players, players still being scum and having no morals.

Associate
^this.

he wasn't insanely talented, but he always performed well and showed great spirit. You always got the sense that Beckham always gave everything he had to give, compare and contrast that with Gerrard/Lampard!

Exactly. If some of the current experienced players played with half the pride Beckham did, England would be in a much better place right now.

Soldato
Apart from Beckham's 'affair' with his personal assistant? i reckon hes been a good role model, showed passion and will on the pitch and when he was captain he did quite well and you could see the passion when he said he was quitting he was crying...off the pitch he has set up charities..schools etc so shows that not all footballers are brain dead eg Ferdinand...which is a good role model for kids as it shows that despite being a footballer you can still help people etc

Last edited:
Associate
The fact of the matter is, most professional footballers of a certain standing are scumbags in one way or another no matter what nationality, its just the press in this country make english players more accountable for their actions.

Man of Honour
Take Terry's off-field antics away and he's a perfect captain :confused: He always gives everything in every game, and the lasting memory I will have from the last world cup is his salmon dive throwing himself in the way of a shot on goal.

I never thought Beckham was a good captain. Good player, yes, but I want a leader in a captain, I've never gone with the 'lead by example' captain.

That's partially why I don't rate Gerrard as a captain - as well as the not being a fantastic example for the most part when he pulls on an England shirt.

Soldato
The fact of the matter is, most professional footballers of a certain standing are scumbags in one way or another no matter what nationality, its just the press in this country make english players more accountable for their actions.
I reckon that the european countries are the biggest 'scumbags'...the south americans seem to be good role models eg Kaka doing a lot of charity work/giving money to his local town every year etc...

Back
Top Bottom