Who can be an English football role model?

Soldato
I struggle to think of any footballer who is a genuinely good role model. Scholes is probably the closest to a role model though, he's never really been in any trouble off the pitch and seems to be a decent bloke. The sad truth is that nearly all footballers are spoiled brats who will sleep with any hot girl regardless of whether they already have a wife/girlfriend. There are some exceptions but they are few and far between.

Soldato
Everyone will see this as biased but someone like Michael Dawson is more like it. The fact he's not that great of a footballer makes his attitude even more appealing.

Plays with his heart on his sleeve, gives every game 100% and you know he's not out there for himself. As I've mentioned he doesn't have the ability of players like King or Ferdinand, doesn't have much pace but he's always there throwing his head and body in the way.

He's a great professional who you have to admire for making himself a first 11 player in a team as good as Spurs current lot, aswell as breaking into the England side.

Associate
They aren't known well enough to be "idols" IMO. Plus, Hart and Johnson are only young yet and only recentlydid we begin to actually realise that they were any good.

Soldato
They aren't known well enough to be "idols" IMO. Plus, Hart and Johnson are only young yet and only recentlydid we begin to actually realise that they were any good.
This is true, though if Spurs have a decent run in the CL with Dawson fit and playing aswell as pushing for an England place then he will be more widely known.

Same for Hart and Johnson... though obviously just the England part applies for them and not the Champions League ;):D

Caporegime
Well Hart has been quite known for a while...but he is young and Johnson is a future star :)

Hart can't dance.

He's no fit role model for all these young hip kids.

Johnson? ... Really? Are you being serious?

Both have been on the football stage five minutes.

I agree that there are **** all in the shape of "decent" role models for England.

I disagree, however much you want to think footballers aren't role models, they are, kids look up to them, see what they do (on and off the pitch, which is sad) and want to be like them.

Scholes is a great example, great footballer (one of the best English midfielders for a very long time imho) and seems to be a decent semi intelligent guy off the pitch, has a lot of respect from the kids at United.

He doesn't play for England now though? So why is he being mentioned?

I like Dawson, he's not got the reputation or stature that other players have (sorry spurs fans).

I think that on the pitch you want a leader and someone who can motivate, Gerrard (depsite attacking people on nights out :p) imho, is a natural English captain, along with (I "missed" a drugs test) Rio. Terry, while he might be a leader, is a grade a ****.

Soldato
Hart can't dance.

He's no fit role model for all these young hip kids.

Johnson? ... Really? Are you being serious?

Both have been on the football stage five minutes.
True
Yeh i am serious...hes played great since coming to the prem and played well in all the england games hes been involved in so why cant he be a 'star' player?

Caporegime
True
Yeh i am serious...hes played great since coming to the prem and played well in all the england games hes been involved in so why cant he be a 'star' player?

Because he's 12 years old, moved to city because they flashed £££ in front of him and he's achieved nothing on the European scale let alone done anything in the league.

Associate
only scholes and giggs i can think off. never once have you seen them in the papers.

Giggs when younger was in the papers a lot, always with a different girl on his arm. Scholes is ginger so that rules hime out :)

I'm not sure why people are shocked at rich footballers playing away. It's always been the case that the rich have tended to have a wife at home to produce children and then mistresses elsewhere.

Soldato
Tbh it just shows what a bunch of nobbers the current crop of so called superstars have been when we're scraping the bottom of the barrel like this looking for a role model.

The last 3 players mentioned must have about 5 caps between them!

Soldato
Shame David James wont feature for england anymore as he is a good role model i reckon...promoting/saving the environment..seems a nice person in interviews etc and very experienced internationally and domestically.

Soldato
Shame David James wont feature for england anymore as he is a good role model i reckon...promoting/saving the environment..seems a nice person in interviews etc and very experienced internationally and domestically.

lol, he's an absolute tool ???

Back
Top Bottom