Who else has preordered Octopath travlers!

Caporegime
Hmmmm

Well I can only say I saw hugely positive reviews towards it. But then again I didn't go looking 'that' far as it was a pre-order day 1 purchase for me.

But graphics wise, the game really is the first of its kind. It is NOT like any other 2D JRPG. Go through this thread, constant mentions by members saying about how beautiful the game is.

As you already mentioned, there is a 3hr gameplay demo available. You'll know by the end of that if you want it and what I mean about the graphics :)

Associate
So, killed all the Advance shrine bosses last night. I would 100% recommend doing the Sorcerer one first as that really helps with faster breaking on everything weak to magic due to the magic spells you get. The spells cover every magic class (one spell per class) and hit 3 times for serious amounts!

Starcaller has some good party and individual buffs as well as a nice aoe damage spell that hits 3 times. Comprised of one dark, one light and one wind hit.

Runelord allows you to empower your weapon with an elemental rune. This seems to hit for elemental damage directly after your normal melee turn

Warmaster is the master of melee weapons. This allows you to equip all 6 weapon classes and has abilities directly tied to each weapon class. You can also throw weapons at enemies that deal damage and are then destroyed!

As if I wasn't totally in love with the game already, the extra classes are awesome! :D

Associate
Hmmmm

Well I can only say I saw hugely positive reviews towards it. But then again I didn't go looking 'that' far as it was a pre-order day 1 purchase for me.

But graphics wise, the game really is the first of its kind. It is NOT like any other 2D JRPG. Go through this thread, constant mentions by members saying about how beautiful the game is.

As you already mentioned, there is a 3hr gameplay demo available. You'll know by the end of that if you want it and what I mean about the graphics :)

Yep I'll give the demo a go. I loved FF6 and a lot say its similar so we shall see :)

Soldato
The detail on some of the environments is wonderful and the music is sublime. It really is a labor of love harking back to the Square classics of the 90's.

I was a bit skeptical at first because I couldn't get in to the first demo that much (I didn't try the second one) at the time. Now though I am glad I took the plunge as it much better than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guess I am rubbish then! Oh well nothing new there!

It was the Alfyn snake boss. Long fight which I lost in the end. It's my first time experiencing poison and I haven't figured out what Alfyn is good at yet though it's probably about negating poison! About 4 hours in and this was my first wipe and it was a bit of a surprise! Managed it on my second try using traps and debuffs while playing around with Alfyn's concoct. Not too bad but the first time I've actually had to think about the fight.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guess I am rubbish then! Oh well nothing new there!

It was the Alfyn snake boss. Long fight which I lost in the end. It's my first time experiencing poison and I haven't figured out what Alfyn is good at yet though it's probably about negating poison! About 4 hours in and this was my first wipe and it was a bit of a surprise! Managed it on my second try using traps and debuffs while playing around with Alfyn's concoct. Not too bad but the first time I've actually had to think about the fight.
Some of them are outright tough and require devising a strategy to take out. I am convinced a couple of them I have only beaten due to having members of my party some 15 levels above the "recommended" for that chapter.

Also, Alfyn's chapters have definitely been the toughest, IMO

Soldato
I've just started Ophilia's story. This gets me to 4 characters so hopefully having a full roster and a proper healer will be a benefit!

I've got H'aanit, Therion, Alfyn and now Ophelia. Not happy with Therion I want a tank in there so will just have to keep pressing on. Amazing game so far really enjoying it.

Associate
Some of them are outright tough and require devising a strategy to take out. I am convinced a couple of them I have only beaten due to having members of my party some 15 levels above the "recommended" for that chapter.

Also, Alfyn's chapters have definitely been the toughest, IMO

I must admit, I found myself thinking the same. I'm pretty sure with all the stealing of higher power level items and over-levelling, I've robbed myself of some of the challenge :p

Caporegime
I must admit, I found myself thinking the same. I'm pretty sure with all the stealing of higher power level items and over-levelling, I've robbed myself of some of the challenge :p
For example Alfyn is lvl 38/39 now (I forget which) the recommended for his Chapter 3 is lvl 35 I think. I cannot remove him as he is my protagonist. And his amputation attack at max power is properly devastating. :D

Associate
Pretty sure I'm at the point where I've near enough completed every side quest (might have done them all but not sure) and unlocked the Kingdom of Hornburg. Some pretty tough bosses to get to this point but I think the strategy I found (and seems to be common from reading a few threads) is to get everyone levelled up as priest and use the 'Saving Grace' ability to allow over-healing. Having > 6000 Health - up to 9999 is definitely needed on most of the harder boss fights.

Most OP combo I've found so far seems to be:
  • Runelord with high Elemental Attack
  • Runelord - use 'Transfer Rune'
  • Runelord - use the elemental rune that hits the weak spot - this transfers to all characters
  • Sorcerer with high Elemental Attack
  • Sorcerer - use elemental break to lower elemental defence.
On unBroken bosses this is seeing Olberic (Warrior/Runelord) hit for 12-17k and Cyrus (Scholar/Sorcerer) hit for 17-22k. Broken this then goes up to 33k ish for Cyrus!

I made an attempt on the Journey's end quest.

This sees you going into the Gate of Finis and re-fighting shadow versions of each of the final Chapter bosses which unlocks extra diary/lore entries for each of the characters. I nailed these eight with relative ease using the above combo.

Once done, you need to form two parties to take on Galdera!

I finished the first phase with my main party which was reassuring, second phase not so well as my other four character are all roughly level 32 so got annihilated :o

Need to level, Tressa, Primrose, Alfyn and H'aanit and work out how to split the parties up efficiently then I'll reattempt! :)

Associate

Yup, if you end up over-levelling and stealing a lot of stuff then it does make the boss battles easier. I remember losing one Chapter 1 boss battle ( can't remember which one … seems like an age ago ! ) but that was before I had Ophilia as a healer and Olberic for tanking. Understanding the game mechanics and tweaking your party composition helps a lot. For me, there are two or three starting characters that can make life difficult until you flesh them out with additional skills ie. Primrose, Alfyn, Tressa. This game really comes into its own is when you start adding second jobs and support skills.

Back
Top Bottom