Who else has preordered Octopath travlers!

Man of Honour
So - Octopath. Are you guys enjoying it? I've always found JRPGs a little tough to get on with due to all the random encounters, but can live with that if the rest of it is good!

It's a very traditional JRPG so if you're not a fan of the genre then it's only really the graphics that stands out.

Soldato
There is a skill that you can learn which minimizes the random encounters. You still get them but a lot less frequently. I just think of them as a means to get enough levels for the next part of the story. I don't find them nearly as annoying as the early FF games. The graphics, music and the battle system all stand out for me. I am still really enjoying it after 35 hours and I know I've still got a long way to go.

I haz 4090!
Don
I'm not usually a fan of JRPGs, but this is amazing. I only bought it on Saturday and I've got 27 hours on it already, addicted! I've just finished all of the chapter 1 stories. I need to resist using fast travel and grind some levels out of random encounters on the walks to the other cities, but I don't mind. The combat system is so interesting that I actually enjoy them. HATED them in other FF games.

Soldato
I did enjoy Octopath. It wasn't the best game I've ever played but the combat was good, the scenery was awesome, the music was great, and the storylines weren't bad either (some characters more interesting than others).

I got it for £43 from Amazon, completed it in around 58 hours, then sold it today to CEX for £40!

So it was good value for money as well. Apparently some weird stock issues on the physical release means it's not readily available in physical form at the moment.

Caporegime
Well I've got the whole evening to myself so I'll be trying different techniques. Alfyn Chapter 3 boss discussion in the spoiler.

I just looked online at suggestions (mainly because I am not even getting remotely far with the guy) and lots mention the leg hold trap thief skill. Keep the guy in a constant de-buff along with Olberics team defense buff and break him as quickly as possible to stop his ridiculously powerful attacks.

Thinking about this overnight. I am going to try this party tonight:

Alfyn warrior - Lvl 44
Olberic theif - Lvl 39
Ophyllia Scholar - Lvl 35
Cyrus - Lvl 35 - I forget which job Cyrus has now.

The idea of using the scholar elemental skills to break this sucker as fast as possible, de-buff with Olberic and buff with Alfyn (abide, stone wall etc) - Also by this stage Olberic & Alfyn can both lay down a lot of physical attack damage and we all know what happens when you unleash the Cyrus canon :D

Can't see me nearly throwing the controller at the screen tonight...noooo :p

Caporegime
Hes done! Took 25mins but hes done!

Doing some reading, yes that "shackle foe" thief skill kept his damage to within a tankable range, could comfortably heal whatever he threw each round after that. I had Olberic pass out once but overall it was a good battle. Tough and amazingly rewarding when done :)

Learned a lot about the importance of these debuffs tonight

Caporegime
Yep!

I've found something I don't like about the game. When you go into battle, characters clothing changes to their job/sub-class - I want to be able to choose their clothing 100% of the time, is this possible?

Cyrus has the Merchant equipped to give him wind and rest abilities and frankly he looks like a nob when fighting :p - his default outfit is badass.

Associate
OP
Anyone else using characters they originally disliked? Im currently leveling alfyn and I first thought he was boring and crap but now I'm preferring him over the cleric he has decent DPS and some handy spells for heals etc!!

Back
Top Bottom