Who else used Facebook and didn't see the point of it?

Associate
Don't like the idea of facebook, my photo's and conversations being uploaded to a company who don't seem to like the idea of privacy.

Still on it though even though i barely function on it.

Soldato
It's like anything else, You dont like it, Dont use it. Tada! I find it sadder when people criticize those that do use it. It's like those youtube comments where you have people arguing a band is crap. Dont go on the bands videos then you tool!

My facebook news feed is perfect, I have nearly all spam blocked, and i only see feeds from the people i have interest in seeing. Simple to do aswell

^ Its not difficult to click the hide button.

Man of Honour
what you mean like people managed without mains gas or running water, or an inside toilet ?

Don't be stupid it's got nothing to do with not having the essentials to live a modern life.

Just because its new and people haven't always had it doesn't mean you shouldn't use it.

You can mange with or without it. It's not the be all and end all of "networking" or whatever you call it.

Soldato
Um... advertising? Which has nothing to do with people spamming their friends?

OK fair point, however, I am willing to bet that farmville alone makes them more money than advertising.

Tbh, it takes 1 click to hide any application notices, if you still want to complain about it, then don't use facebook, it's obliviously not for you.

Man of Honour
Just use the tools available, hover over the top right had corner of any app message and click hide, hey presto no more spam from that app.

Associate
Of course it is.

The essence is users leaving time-stamped chunks of texts in a threaded view.

How is my status update that a few friends comment on that different to a topic started with a few responses?

Social networking with people you know and discussing shared interests with strangers on a forum based around a computer retailer are not the same thing.

Soldato
Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb *****

Link

I decided never to use Facebook (in any identifiable capacity) after they announced that all photos uploaded to them would belong to them. Also, the Labour government had been pushing for stricter anti-privacy laws, and for them to use a site where people freely gave out their personal information made them water at the mouth.

I'll stick to using a random name on the internet, so I don't get a housecall from billy-bob the retard who doesn't like the fact I don't believe in the same imaginary magicians in the sky.

Soldato
Social networking with people you know and discussing shared interests with strangers on a forum based around a computer retailer are not the same thing.

Social networking can spread beyond people you know in life. And forums can have contributions from people you know well in life. My facebook has a few members of OCUK and other forums on it. The fundamentals are most definately the same also. its text\video\images contributed by 1 member, and then shared and expanded on by others.

As said, its most definately hypocrisy at play. It seems to me, its popular hense it needs to be hated and cast out by some. Like many things in life

Soldato
I love facebook, it's a fantastic creation and the main appeal for me is that it's so universally used by all ages, all backgrounds and different levels of IT (or any literacy)

As a normal bloke, it allows me to keep in touch with friends and family, share photos, videos and see the same from others - again, other websites do this better, but I don't have people from all areas of my life accessing other websites. With Facebook, they're all there already.

As a comedian, it allows me to have a fan page, promote myself, update people with my next gigs, upload videos of my performances, promote my own comedy night with a seperate page and link them to my comedian page and the page for the venue. It links me with other comedians, over 100 odd other acts are now 'friends' and I've recently emailed 1700 comedians to offer performance spots, in one go without hassle. I've also got an entity as a comedian which agents/promoters can check out without running my own website.

The downsides being the spam and junk from idiots and apps, but you can just hide those, problem solved.

It's also one of those things that's cool to hate. The haters are just missing out :p

Caporegime
Social networking can spread beyond people you know in life. And forums can have contributions from people you know well in life. My facebook has a few members of OCUK and other forums on it. The fundamentals are most definately the same also. its text\video\images contributed by 1 member, and then shared and expanded on by others.

As said, its most definately hypocrisy at play. It seems to me, its popular hense it needs to be hated and cast out by some. Like many things in life

Indeed.

Around 50% of my FB friends I actually met on 4 other forums initially.

FB allows me to merge these groups of friends, so people from 2 different forums who never would have met, are now friends by way of me being a common denominator.

Back
Top Bottom