Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Permabanned
The latest Polo was quite underwhelming. I have the 6c and the newer Mk6 just didn’t do it for me at all. Despite having the larger 2.0 EA888 as opposed to the 1.8 in the 6c it barely gains anything and I dare say the 6c would match it in standard form.

I’d have the Fiesta over the latest Polo all day. Looks better, better interior and not got the chavvy reputation of the MK7 which can only be a good thing. Would love to test drive the I20N though.

Soldato
Just put a deposit down on a MK8 ST3 in blue with performance pack, winter pack and panoramic roof, nice example 69 plate with 17.5K on the clock. Few questions for any MK8 owners - which tyres are best to use (for future reference)? Also is it best to grab a diskock for the MK8? I had a Mk7 previously and they were notorious for thefts. Is it still the case with the MK8? Also is it best to stick with premium unleaded or just treat it every now and again? Sorry for the hundred questions!

Soldato
Just put a deposit down on a MK8 ST3 in blue with performance pack, winter pack and panoramic roof, nice example 69 plate with 17.5K on the clock. Few questions for any MK8 owners - which tyres are best to use (for future reference)? Also is it best to grab a diskock for the MK8? I had a Mk7 previously and they were notorious for thefts. Is it still the case with the MK8? Also is it best to stick with premium unleaded or just treat it every now and again? Sorry for the hundred questions!

Had Pilot Sport 4 fitted (non S because I forgot the wheels were 18" and not 17" thus could have had PS4S) to to my wife's ST when we picked it up and can't really fault them. I guess you can get PS5 now in the same fitment for around the same price as the PS4.

Probably best reading / watching some reviews of different options and looking at prices to best gauge what would be best for you / your usage.

Drive the ST2 for the first time in about a month today rather than the Model 3 and I had a few derp moments. Flashed my lights instead of pulling the right hand stalk to use the screenwash (after pushing the end of the left stalk like I would do in the M3). Then spent half the journey in 4th as I forgot about gears 5 & 6... only doing 30-40 so didn't really notice the extra engine noise, but still. Then finally parked up at work, got out and wondered why it was beeping away at me. I had only forgotten to turn it off (start/stop had engaged so no engine). I have gotten so used to just getting out and walking away that I had completely forgotten the on/off button.... :o:o

At least I remembered it has a clutch.. :cry:

Soldato
Had Pilot Sport 4 fitted (non S because I forgot the wheels were 18" and not 17" thus could have had PS4S) to to my wife's ST when we picked it up and can't really fault them. I guess you can get PS5 now in the same fitment for around the same price as the PS4.

Probably best reading / watching some reviews of different options and looking at prices to best gauge what would be best for you / your usage.

Drive the ST2 for the first time in about a month today rather than the Model 3 and I had a few derp moments. Flashed my lights instead of pulling the right hand stalk to use the screenwash (after pushing the end of the left stalk like I would do in the M3). Then spent half the journey in 4th as I forgot about gears 5 & 6... only doing 30-40 so didn't really notice the extra engine noise, but still. Then finally parked up at work, got out and wondered why it was beeping away at me. I had only forgotten to turn it off (start/stop had engaged so no engine). I have gotten so used to just getting out and walking away that I had completely forgotten the on/off button.... :o:o

At least I remembered it has a clutch.. :cry:
I used my mrs' the other day (I also have a model 3), changing gears was fine but the screenwash did take some finding (and it was nice to have a rear wiper).

Soldato
The latest Polo was quite underwhelming. I have the 6c and the newer Mk6 just didn’t do it for me at all. Despite having the larger 2.0 EA888 as opposed to the 1.8 in the 6c it barely gains anything and I dare say the 6c would match it in standard form.

I’d have the Fiesta over the latest Polo all day. Looks better, better interior and not got the chavvy reputation of the MK7 which can only be a good thing. Would love to test drive the I20N though.
I was looking to downsize from my Hyundai I30N last year and in the end went for a Polo GTI MK6 face lifted model. Needs the bigger 18in wheels though (one of the options that I spec'd). Basically could not find the Fiesta ST mk8 that I wanted and decided to give the Polo a try. Also fancied trying a DSG again, as had a RS Clio EDC for a while and the DSG in that was pretty awful!
Got a great deal on it and even with a few choice options, it was no where near the £30k price I see regularly banded about (mine with a small discount was around £26.5k). Got an insanely high trade in on my previous car (I30N).
I must admit that I quite like the Polo GTI. Maybe not as hard core as the Fiesta ST, but still a decent steer.
The only down side (assuming you like the DSG... which I do) is the lack of a proper LSD. The torque vectoring system is just not as progressive / good as the real thing. Another 20 or so HP and I'd be an even more happy man.

Just a shame that the Fiesta is coming to the end of the road. A cracking car it is.

PS. Must admit that I did not gel with the I30N. Steering a bit too heavy in my personal opinion and drank fuel like it was going out of fashion (way worse than either of my Focus ST's). And unluckily the gearbox in mine was not one of the best. A well known issue with a number of these cars, usually effecting either 1st-2nd, or 5th-6th gear (the former in my case). A couple of garage visits improved things... but never totally sorted it.

Soldato

I'm guessing you've collected by now but I hadn't seen this post. I was toying with the idea of changing from my Mk 7 a few months ago and I'd have been looking for this exact spec in the Mk 8 but couldn't justify the cost when there's nothing wrong with the Mk 7! How are you finding the difference?

Discussing my Mk 7 my phone and sync decided to stop talking to each other a few weeks ago. Apparently removing one of the fuses (#24) should give it a hard reset and hopefully solve the issue. Otherwise I'll be using my bluetooth speaker each time I use the car for the foreseeable (fortunately not too often)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm guessing you've collected by now but I hadn't seen this post. I was toying with the idea of changing from my Mk 7 a few months ago and I'd have been looking for this exact spec in the Mk 8 but couldn't justify the cost when there's nothing wrong with the Mk 7! How are you finding the difference?

Discussing my Mk 7 my phone and sync decided to stop talking to each other a few weeks ago. Apparently removing one of the fuses (#24) should give it a hard reset and hopefully solve the issue. Otherwise I'll be using my bluetooth speaker each time I use the car for the foreseeable (fortunately not too often)

Loving the MK8 - It's much nicer on the inside than the MK7 and has a nice boost in power as well!

Man of Honour
NONE of you here have the capability to handle a Polo.

NONE OF YOU

Now...Fiesta's...

Had a good nose around a couple on Stafford Ford on Saturday and what a nice looking little car. Quite surprised but £26K seems really toppy to me, not that i am well versed on cars at this end of the market. Is there much in the way of discounts on these?

Permabanned
NONE of you here have the capability to handle a Polo.

NONE OF YOU

Now...Fiesta's...

Had a good nose around a couple on Stafford Ford on Saturday and what a nice looking little car. Quite surprised but £26K seems really toppy to me, not that i am well versed on cars at this end of the market. Is there much in the way of discounts on these?
They were about 18k when I was looking before I bought the polo. Decided it wasn’t worth double the rice of a low mileage Polo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm amazed how expensive these "cheap" cars are. A guy I work with has bought, sorry pcped a mighty rline polo and I think with dct (he only has auto licence) it's worth/cost 26k. And that's for the might 110hp one :p . He must really love trying to join on sliproads.

Soldato
I'm amazed how expensive these "cheap" cars are. A guy I work with has bought, sorry pcped a mighty rline polo and I think with dct (he only has auto licence) it's worth/cost 26k. And that's for the might 110hp one :p . He must really love trying to join on sliproads.
If he paid that sort of money for an R-Line Polo, then he could not have tried very hard (at all?) to get a discount!

Even in these tough times, there are discounts to be had. My Polo GTI (ordered Jan 2022 & delivered September) set me back approx £26.5k (and that included 4 added options).

Soldato
If he paid that sort of money for an R-Line Polo, then he could not have tried very hard (at all?) to get a discount!

Even in these tough times, there are discounts to be had. My Polo GTI (ordered Jan 2022 & delivered September) set me back approx £26.5k (and that included 4 added options).
Tbh he's a bit of an I know best type of person. I told him he should get the gti but insists its the same as his (lol), drives the same and nobody needs more than 100hp. He does hardly any miles, and very rarely isn't driving on a dual carriageway so not sure he's ever actually overtaken anything when you do need the power.

Associate
Tbh he's a bit of an I know best type of person. I told him he should get the gti but insists its the same as his (lol), drives the same and nobody needs more than 100hp. He does hardly any miles, and very rarely isn't driving on a dual carriageway so not sure he's ever actually overtaken anything when you do need the power.
The R line sounds ideal for him then.

Soldato
The R line sounds ideal for him then.
True. Back on subject my Mrs does like her mk 8. She tends to put it in sport, as it pops but you've got to work for it, not like some other cars where they do it the time. My main gripe is the lack of a level sensor for screenwash, imo that should be standard on every car.

Back
Top Bottom