Who here owns a Mini?

Don
Had a low pressure warning for one of the rears tyres on the Countryman.

Think it was just low, but took a closer look at all the tyres - both rears were the original tyres (that were on the car from new (2017 date code Bridgestone Turanza T001)), and both have significant cracking within the tread blocks (despite still having 2-3mm left).
Fronts are Bridgestone Turanza T005 from 2021, and again at 2-3mm left but again have quite bad cracking along the shoulders.

Have ordered 4 Michelin Primacy 4+, as can't quite justify the extra £150 or so for the PS5 - should still be decent as are a similar sort of touring tyre to the Turanza which I haven't had any performance issues.

Now also looking at a Spare wheel - I can get a space saver for £55 which I assume will fit under the boot floor, but just a case of getting the jack/tool kit to fit, struggling to find one anywhere and can't find the part numbers for it.

Soldato
Other than vanos (on non-s models) and throttle body I'm not sure what adaptions can be reset (and wouldn't have thought either of those should affect stop start)

It looks like it might have been one of the vanos solenoids causing the problem. It actually flagged up an error last week and the check engine light came on which gave me a something to go on. A bit of Googling later pointed to one of the vanos solenoids being iffy. I swapped it on Saturday, drove it yesterday and today and so far no issues! For the price of them, I might just swap the other one as well seeing at it's 16 years old now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a low pressure warning for one of the rears tyres on the Countryman.

Think it was just low, but took a closer look at all the tyres - both rears were the original tyres (that were on the car from new (2017 date code Bridgestone Turanza T001)), and both have significant cracking within the tread blocks (despite still having 2-3mm left).

And this was on an approved used car? I would have expected them to be changed upon inspection by the dealer. Oh well live and learn.

I give a tyres and brakes a good look when buying a used car. Gives me an indication on how well it's even cared for. It's a substantial cost to put right at the end of the day.

Don
And this was on an approved used car? I would have expected them to be changed upon inspection by the dealer.
Yep unfortunately - but given how I was treated with the fuel leak a week after buying it, I'm not surprised.

I did look at the tread depth when we bought the car, but didn't notice the cracking - I suppose a decent tyre dressing can work wonders at least to distract enough that you don't notice these sort of things.

If I need any main dealer support (e.g. recalls etc), then I'll drive it the 30 miles or so to another Mini dealer.

Soldato
Talking of date stamps on the tyres, I did check them when inspecting my car on collection. 4 matching Pirellis. I only checked one though as they were all matching, though a few weeks later i noticed 2 out of the 4 tyres didn't have date stamps. Very odd!

maj

maj

Soldato
Looking at a 2017 2.0 Cooper S Euro 6 to replace my Ceed which has been written off by my insurer. Can I be lazy and rather than reading 69 pages, please ask if there's any common faults to look out for? It only has a part service history so that's something I'm going to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom