Who here owns a Mini?

Soldato
Hi. Potential new mini owner here. Despite there being, perhaps, better alternatives I like the look of the mini countryman and having never owned a mini fancy giving it try. I am looking at second hand and possibly a phev as I can charge at home and gives me access to cheaper tariffs to use with my solar. Is this a really daft decision? If not anything I should be looking for or wary of. I suspect I will be looking at a 19/20 model with around 30k on the clock as this will come in under £20K.

Thanks for any pointers.
I just recommend buying one from a main dealer as it's got warranty. Even the smallest repair is usually costs a chunk of change.

Soldato
I just recommend buying one from a main dealer as it's got warranty. Even the smallest repair is usually costs a chunk of change.
Alternatively you could ensure it has full service history, enough to qualify for a Mini extended warranty, we did this for my daughter, she saved £3k over main dealer prices, got a much cleaner car and it was £350 for a years extended warranty..

However, buying privately has less protection, so if not confident, a pre-purchase inspection might help (but again, they can be hit/miss)..

Essentially buying from a main dealer is always the least hassle route and if unsure gives the best level of protection/warranty.. (although that's no guarantee!)..

Private sellers can be weird, we bought a 4 year old countryman for my wife back in 2015, the owner had the last service done at some fred in a shed garage, so we negotiated a bit more off based on not having the full service history it was advertised with since there was no detailed invoice for the service.. On buying the car, it turns out it was still on it's 5 year TLC package and so we got it serviced by mini for free!

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn’t the plug in countryman just a company car tax dodge and well a bit rubbish as the range is none existent, you’d be better with a normal petrol one for a lot less money?

Man of Honour
Isn’t the plug in countryman just a company car tax dodge and well a bit rubbish as the range is none existent, you’d be better with a normal petrol one for a lot less money?

They are not popular on the second hand market so likely don't cost much more if a anything more than a petrol one.

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
It would give me access to octopus go so I could charge my solar battery cheaply too. And for kid transport to football and rugby the electric will have enough range for electric only but yes, whether it is worth it is a major consideration.

Soldato
Small quality of life feature for anyone with an F series that hates the massive keyfob:

Got one of these, and after the absolute age it took to arrive, I now have a smaller sexier key that doesn't take up my whole pocket

Thought it'd be a cheapo plastic thing but it's made of metal and I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

Now, all I need is some decent pads, discs, braided lines and some new brake fluid and then off to castle combe looking sharp!

Associate
Small quality of life feature for anyone with an F series that hates the massive keyfob:

Got one of these, and after the absolute age it took to arrive, I now have a smaller sexier key that doesn't take up my whole pocket

Thought it'd be a cheapo plastic thing but it's made of metal and I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

Now, all I need is some decent pads, discs, braided lines and some new brake fluid and then off to castle combe looking sharp!
I've got the JCW one. Decent build quality and way better than the original. Never liked the original shape of them. They remind me of a flying saucer lol. I think the new gen Mini key fobs look much better.

Soldato
So how is the search going?

Put some air in the tyres of ours! :o the onboard TPMS reads low compared to two pumps. Onboard said 27-28. Gauges said 30. So I put 33 on the gauge in which has worked out to be 30 in the car (was 31 when warm). Not sure which to trust… the car I guess! Should be 32 all round so I still need to add a little bit.

Aside from that. The trip has stopped at 5999 miles but the average mpg continues to change, however I don’t know if it’s continuing on from 0 so now at approx 7k miles giving me average mpg from new or if it’s just the 1k since that point… anyone know?

Man of Honour
Well getting my battery out looks fun. When did battery replacement become so complicated? Back in my day it was one bolt and two cables. Now it looks like I need to remove half the engine plastics and recode the blasted thing :(

Last edited:
Don
Well getting my battery out looks fun. When did battery replacement become so complicated? Back in my day it was one bolt and two cables. Now it looks like I need to remove half the engine plastics and recode the blasted thing :(

I take it you've got an F56 (2014 onwards)? If so then yep looks fun

I did the battery on my R56 and that was pretty easy by comparison. I used Carista to register the battery

Man of Honour
I take it you've got an F56 (2014 onwards)? If so then yep looks fun

I did the battery on my R56 and that was pretty easy by comparison. I used Carista to register the battery
Yep, F56. It doesn't look hard, just time consuming and needing to register it. Thanks for the heads up about Carista. I was looking at Bimmerlink.

Last time I changed a battery (on my Corrado) it was about £60 for the battery and around 5 mins to swap it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom