Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Soldato
On the road in the real world you'd not be able to tell the difference between all the various 172 / 182 combinations to be honest.

I like the 172 because of it's sleeper appearance, the 182 looks more aggressive with the twin exit exhaust.

Associate
I owned a 182 with Cup packs, my mate had the 172 Cup. There was nothing in it out on the road, maybe the 172 Cup would be marginally quicker round the track but not by much.

Still think the 172 Cup in that blue is the best looking out of all the various 172/182 combinations. Just a pity the seats are so basic looking, whack in a pair of the Recaro's from the Trophy and it's near perfect.

Caporegime
I owned a 182 with Cup packs, my mate had the 172 Cup. There was nothing in it out on the road, maybe the 172 Cup would be marginally quicker round the track but not by much.

Still think the 172 Cup in that blue is the best looking out of all the various 172/182 combinations. Just a pity the seats are so basic looking, whack in a pair of the Recaro's from the Trophy and it's near perfect.

What about xenons, air con, sound systems etc?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Hmm quite fancy a ph1. Cheers I'll have a look.

what you driving these days out of interest? you lose the 19?

sadly 4.5 years ago a daft bint in a Ka rear ended me writing the poor thing off, I loved that car :(

Got a black phase 1 172 to replace it, yeah it's quicker, cheaper to run and has air con, but I'd have my 19 back tomorrow if someone said do you want to swap. I bet Mr Hall is still tinkering with them though? :)

But other than being centimental the Clio has been an awesome little car, it's about to tick over 96k tomorrow and it's running great.

And this is the problem, it's good so to replace it I'm going to have to spend a hell of a lot more than the car is worth to get anything 'better', plus it is so cheap to run.

So am I right in thinking the 172 is quicker than the 182, but the 182 has more toys?

Real world there's pretty much naff all in it. The phase 2 172 and 182 non cup/non trophy have the same toys. Xenons, climate etc.

But bein really picky the phase 2 172 is the slowest with the 172 cup, all the 182s, and phase 1 172 all being a bit quicker. But it really is marginal.

Phae 1 had different suspension geo iirc, different ratio gearbox (slightly longer), 15inch wheels instead of 16inch, much better airbox design imho, the only model with cable throttle and it's lighter. Some models also had an aluminium bonnet which was quite a bit lighter.

182 over a phase 2 172 has a different exhaust manifold, 4-2-1 which makes up most of the difference. You can retro fit these but it's costly as they are a lot longer than the 4-1 of the 172s. The 4-2-1 supposedly sacrifices a bit of top end to improve mid range and some people when tuning prefer the 4-1 as it suites high revvy tuning types better, apparently.

172 cup was also offered with climate control as an option near the end of production but not many of those around.

Last edited:
Associate
What about xenons, air con, sound systems etc?

All of those are toys though. Nice to have, the Xenons are superb on the 182, though none are exactly vital in my opinion. Was just trying to say that the 172 Cup is my favourite looking out of the 172/182 series, albeit maybe not the most practical.

Soldato
All of those are toys though. Nice to have, the Xenons are superb on the 182, though none are exactly vital in my opinion. Was just trying to say that the 172 Cup is my favourite looking out of the 172/182 series, albeit maybe not the most practical.

Xenons are a must have to be honest and you don't get these on a Cup.

IIRC You get 'air con' on all the range, however the Cup cars do not have climate control.

The seats in the Cup's are really poor, you need to get the FF alacantra / leather seats if you can't get the Trohpy Recaros - which aren't cheap.

I'd say the best car in the range would be the Cup packed 182. The Trophy is a great car but the red is a dull colour and non metallic plus they come at a premium.

Associate
I like you Lead_Head :D

I have the cup pack 182 (climate control, cruise control, half leather seats, xenon's etc)

Funnily enough I was behind a 182 trophy as i joined motor way this morning. I must admit I do like the red paint and I think it compliments the alloys well. But the recaro's looked ponsy and he lacked xenons :p

Associate
What colour is yours Redeye? I work in Cambridge, may have seen you about. Spotted a 'black gold' 182 yesterday, made me miss mine even more as that was the colour I had mine in.

Associate
What colour is yours Redeye? I work in Cambridge, may have seen you about. Spotted a 'black gold' 182 yesterday, made me miss mine even more as that was the colour I had mine in.

Mine is Black Gold.

Yesterday I picked it up from garage on Newmarket road and headed out to A14 via Mitchems corner (staples). This was at about 5:30pm - chances of it having been me you saw are small though :p

Soldato
I like you Lead_Head :D

I have the cup pack 182 (climate control, cruise control, half leather seats, xenon's etc)

Funnily enough I was behind a 182 trophy as i joined motor way this morning. I must admit I do like the red paint and I think it compliments the alloys well. But the recaro's looked ponsy and he lacked xenons :p

Haha! I've got an 02 mk2 ph2 Flame red 172 with only 33k on the clock so pretty rare. Only ever seen one other on the road before.

I prefer the subtle looks of a 172 compared to the 182. Especially where I live it just looks like a well specc'd Clio rather than a balls out hot hatch.

To make mine perfect I'd put on a splitter and have the Trophy wheels and Recaro seats in a flash, but to get both of them it'd probably cost me half the value of the car so you have to ask yourself is it worth it?

Caporegime
So the best one, if you want xenons and other toys, to look for is the 182 with both cup packs. Altough these do seem hard to come by. May have to go for a test drive, at a local dealer me thinks.

Soldato
So the best one, if you want xenons and other toys, to look for is the 182 with both cup packs. Altough these do seem hard to come by. May have to go for a test drive, at a local dealer me thinks.

Its actually much harder to find a 182 without cup packs than with. If you look at the specs on the renaultsport site there were far fewer sold without.

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage/182/

Look at sales data and colour range.

Soldato
Well out of 5,222 FF 182's sold in the UK, 3,675 had the spolier pack and 3,967 had the suspension pack. I think there is a fair chance of getting a 182 with both cup packs :)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
IIRC You get 'air con' on all the range, however the Cup cars do not have climate control.

172 cup was climate control (and only as a cost option on later models along with the option of silver in colour) or nothing, later 182 cups were all air con only.

Back
Top Bottom