Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
Got to learn how to drive it properly first before i think of doing anything else to it :p

This week ill be ordering a new double din for it though as the one in it now doesn't have bluetooth and it isn't that great. Not that i can hear anything over the exhaust anyway....

I put a single DIN in with a cubby when i had mine, ended up swapping it back to the standard unit in the end as i could never hear anything on it anyway :D

Soldato
Two things happened today.

1. Painted my Zunsport grills black from the original chrome finish:

2017-02-15_16.19.03_1.jpg

2. Wheels have been refurbished from Hyper Silver (old and tatty at that!) to gold:

IMG_20170215_161523.jpg

Over the moon with both. Love the contrast of the wheels on the brake calipers.

Soldato
They are not a bright gold, its very subtle. When you approach from a distance you wouldnt know they were gold.

When the guy put the first coat on he asked me what I thought and it was a bit too 'light'. They ended up a touch darker but its more of a dull-ish gold. Pictures dont make it out very well but its a nice contrast with the brakes.

I wanted to avoid a real 'in your face' colour :)

Soldato
My WRX had them and I was half tempted to remove them before I sold it but had read that they were more for show on newage cars so didn't bother.

Still, I had them on my Rover (front and rear) so know the kind of difference they can make, they certainly won't do any harm and the rear brace can make a useful beam to secure toolboxes and subwoofers to stop them flying round the boot :D

Brake stopper looks interesting Phil... Are they really needed? I guess with big brakes, good pads, braided lines and decent fluid, it won't do any harm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure what the benefit would feel like, if at all. Those who have had them say they make a difference even with standard brake lines, enhanced even more with braided lines.

Seems to be a 'Jap' thing. For £40 odd it's worth a punt.

Wheel bearing done now. Mechanic said the driveshaft nut wasn't as tight as it should be. His thoughts are it accelerated wear on the bearing by not being buttoned up tight.

Man of Honour
For me the car just felt better and a tiny bit more direct with the strut braces.

I have never met a person who bought a mod for a car, not matter what it did, who didn't claim to be able to tell the difference. There's a severe shortage of blind trials on it though.

There was a longish post on ScoobyNet, that someone might be able to find, from the chief suspension engineer at Prodrive - who I'm fairly certain knows more on the subject than anyone here. It explained why it makes ****-all difference to any newage scoob, and only a small difference to the much more flexible classics. I suspect that confirmation bias is trumping actual performance. If you have a full racing setup, with proper adjustable dampers etc, then at certain race settings it might help. But for normal road use it's a waste of money on newages.

Soldato
Already ordered one :p

Met up with the friend who's STI i originally drove. Had a bit of fun :cool:
32126264323_d46e9fcc6a_b.jpg

32560155090_ecb1fb239a_b.jpg

He has some big plans for his car. He put it on a rolling road the other day to find out the previous owner had lied about the 371BHP, or was mislead himself. Turns out the car is stock power. I thought my car felt quicker when i put the foot down :p He has booked it straight in for SC's stage one kit (330BHP) and handling pack and also removing the roof scoop, fitting sti fog covers, painting the wheels gold and painting the rest of the stick on stuff scooby blue to match.

Soldato
Nice Rybo. How you finding it?

Bet your friend is gutted at the power figure. By standard, we're talking 265bhp right?

I've just done the JDM taillight 'mod'... If you can really call it that. Think it looks better with the brake lights spaced out a bit more.

Also wanted to have a look at my binding handbrake but can't find my locking key anywhere :( Can I expect a world of pain trying to get a new key from McGuard?

Soldato
They aren't that bad but if you dont have the card that came with them you will need to send them photos so they can try and identify it, or go to somewhere and get then removed :(

What is the JDM tail light mod?

Soldato
Yeah as Kosta said, you just swap the positions of the tail lights and brake lights. JDM cars run that configuration from the factory.

Don't think I have the card so hope it's not too drawn out to get a new key. I don't fasten locking nuts up as tight as the others so maybe I'll get away with bashing a socket over it. Last time I had trouble with locking nuts, I had to drill them out and ended up taking a chunk out of the wheel. Nightmare :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bimmec wouldn't
Yeah as Kosta said, you just swap the positions of the tail lights and brake lights. JDM cars run that configuration from the factory.

Don't think I have the card so hope it's not too drawn out to get a new key. I don't fasten locking nuts up as tight as the others so maybe I'll get away with bashing a socket over it. Last time I had trouble with locking nuts, I had to drill them out and ended up taking a chunk out of the wheel. Nightmare :(

Bimmec wouldn't supply me a key without the number when I lost one. Took longer to remove the old nuts from the socket I bashed on to remove them (and they were the spinning collar type)

Back
Top Bottom