Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
Half way through retro-fitting projectors to my blob eye headlights. Going ok so far:

IMG_20180404_194541.jpg

Black eye mod to finish tomorrow along with de-tango then off to MOT tester to get levels set back up.

Soldato
Headlights finished. Levelling being done tomorrow then that's the project buttoned up.

2018_04_05_17_11_11.jpg

Replaced this (fuel vapour) valve today as I have been getting a P0301 code (misfire cylinder 1). I think with the diaphragm gone it wasn't controlling the fuel vapours correctly.

IMG_20180405_163158.jpg

And finally, little present to myself :D

IMG_20180405_092653.jpg

Soldato
My STI went in for it's first service yesterday.

Not entirely sure what they do for the money but hey ho.

Now officially one year old and 8700 miles later and I've actually started to warm to the car more now than when I first bought it.

It was a toss up between a new car or a JDM special edition - Spec C/C-RA and although many will think I made the wrong decision - I have wondered myself, often - I can't say that I've not enjoyed the ownership experience.

The head unit was a big let down at first as the mirror link just doesn't work, at all. However, it's done things in the last week or so I didn't actually know it did - reading out texts made me smile. Spending 6 hours and 300 miles in the car yesterday and hooking up my phone, using my google play sub and just listening to music - I know it's like standard fare these days but it did make me feel as though it had redeemed itself.

I drive 90% of the time in "I" and only really use Sport Plus to overtake or if I'm bored on a long haul. I often forget how fast the car actually is so it's nice to have that little reminder. Other cars these days are faster and better screwed together but there isn't really anything else I want - the Focus RS is nice but doesn't excite me and S3/Golf R?140i just don't make me feel I made the wrong choice. Mate has just bought an M2 which is really very nice but only 2 doors and theres 5 of us with my GF and her kiddie.

Over the next year I'll be umming and ahhing about what to do with the car. Sell it, chuck some money in and go up the food chain - not sure I can stomach a B8 RS4 Avant but for a 12 month fling before going sensible it's on the cards. A new-ish B9 S4 Avant ticks the boxes in everything but looks - saw one the other day and it just didn't "do" anything for me. Leaning towards retiring the STI from front line duties and getting a new-ish 330/5D touring as a daily. Can either play with STI or sell it one for something more of a toy. Mate has offered a set of Recaro CS from his Clio RS for a grand which I'm tempted to buy and have recovered to match the STI interior. The OE seats are very comfortable on a run but a bit pants to look at.

38707329335_131c2ef790_h.jpg

Soldato
they change the oil and the filters :p thats about it. it should say exactly what hey did on the receipt. yes you definitely made the wrong decision going for the new one over a jdm model!

have you noticed the engine loosen up a lot? they feel like they have 200hp when they are new. from 10-20k is probably the best it gets.

Audi's are very boring, but well made. the rs4 will be much less boring being a V8. The problem is that v8 has some serious airflow issues, so they are always under powered and the petrol bill will be massive. If i was you i would get a decent daily that isnt expensive to fuel, then a lotus or similar toy car for weekends. Just make sure you will actually use it though and it wont just sit there. if you decide to get 2 cars.

Soldato
Sorry not sorry neighbours :D

backbox_logo.jpg

Spotted it on eBay for £150, looked a bit ropey in the pictures but for the price I took a chance. Turned out it's much better than I thought and a very quick once over with Silvo (was all I had in), it has the potential to come up very well.

backbox_reflection.jpg

backbox_full.jpg

Main point of concern was the center to backbox flanges look a bit rusty. I'll see what I can do to salvage them but I think I may end up cutting the bolts off. Mild steel flanges?

flange.jpg

For me, it was Nur Spec or nothing. I know I wouldn't have been happy with anything else.

Associate
On the lookout for a nice "006/2007 wrx sti (preferably the 07) Hawkeye in Black. Money nearly finalised so will have a budget of £10-12.5K

Price seems to vary massiely. Clean one can go for that price and theres also a 500BHP one (although its silver) for the £13.

Any advise on areas to look out for. Obviouly service history is a must. is there a milage limit on what to avoid?

Soldato
On the lookout for a nice "006/2007 wrx sti (preferably the 07) Hawkeye in Black. Money nearly finalised so will have a budget of £10-12.5K

Price seems to vary massiely. Clean one can go for that price and theres also a 500BHP one (although its silver) for the £13.

Any advise on areas to look out for. Obviouly service history is a must. is there a milage limit on what to avoid?
avoid all 2.5L cars if you can unless it has proper pistons and a proper block if you are looking to go high hp. :D

Soldato
solid service history. Try see if you can find if it has had proper oils in it, on time.

Have a bit aside for when problems arise, we all have them to come just they seem to come quicker on the 2.5 blocks.

There is a white Hawk JDM 2.0 twinscroll for sale somewhere for £12k. Which is the best buy you will find for around £12k on a hawk.

Soldato
The 500hp one sounds like a right muppet wrote the ad. Too many things to list, half of the listing is in capitals.

I would go for the jdm one or that blue one. But the jdm one is what I would pick out of the two.

Soldato
Looks like the Spec-D still has the original heatshield over the turbo... I doubt many turbos rated to 500bhp would fit under it, happy to be proven wrong though :)

If you're dead set on a Hawk, a JDM 2.0 is pretty special. You lose the burble but get an awesome rotary-esque scream in return.

I don't really like dealers so I'd always buy private, you can meet the owner and get a good feel for how a car has been treated.

I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage. I bought my 02 WRX on 72k. I year later I sold it on 97. It was such a great car. Again, I put 16k on my STi in its first year, apart from the fuel economy it was faultless. In fact, more things have gone wrong now it doesn't get used as much. Service history, frequent fluid changes are important. Worth checking to see when it last had a brake and power steering fluid change as these are generally overlooked on most cars. If you want to keep the car for a long time, try to buy as standard as possible, the problem with buying a modded example is you don't know how well the work has been done and how hard it's been driven.

Soldato
Dealers are a pain though. Unless you take them to court 90% of the time they will do nothing or if they do something they will do it as cheap as they can.

You should have it inspected before you buy it not after

Back
Top Bottom