Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
OP
Baffle is a bass killer on them. I used to do this for a quick get away :D

219108_10150169040989249_3609880_o.jpg

Associate
Hopefully within the week my purchase of a nice Black 2006 WRX STI, with PPP, fully refurbished prodrive wheels and personalised wheels will be completed :) will be completed. Just waiting on seller doing the MOT.

Will be perfectly happy with the performance as im going from a 140BHP FWD hyundai coupe to this machince :)

I've always liked the looks of a nice dressed up engine bay. Specifically the perrin red/black is theyre any good quality cheaper alternatives that people would recommend. id be looking red as the main colour

Soldato
06 will make it a Hawkeye won't it? You'll be very happy with the performance. I'm no stranger to +200bhp and even 2 years on, my STi still puts a big grin on my face.

What hoses are you looking for? Inlet? Coolant? You want something with a good structure. 3 or 4 ply for intake hoses as it gives them a bit more strength and stops them deforming on boost.

So I've done quite a bit of motorway driving this weekend and I think I'm going to have to resort to getting a bung for the Nur Spec :eek: :D It's not absolutely terrible, I had my 2 year old in the car and he had no problems sleeping through it, but with the front windows down, I can't hear him when he talks to me. I'm sure I also have a bit of ringing in my ears after a long journey! Doesn't help that the car I'd usually use for motorway runs (the ZT) is broken at the mo, so I have no choice but to use the Scoob and I don't want it to get to the point where the car is a chore to drive regularly... not that it will, but it can't be good for little ears.

Man of Honour
I used to have a firestorm on mine:

sti_firestorm_full.jpg

but I took it off after a trip to York, when I realised that I couldn't hear the stereo, even at full volume. Exhausts like that are fun now and again, but just too wearing on long journeys. I find Hayward & Scott systems a great compromise: just a little loud at low revs, fun at mid-range, and insane only when booting it.

Associate
06 will make it a Hawkeye won't it? You'll be very happy with the performance. I'm no stranger to +200bhp and even 2 years on, my STi still puts a big grin on my face.

What hoses are you looking for? Inlet? Coolant? You want something with a good structure. 3 or 4 ply for intake hoses as it gives them a bit more strength and stops them deforming on boost.

So I've done quite a bit of motorway driving this weekend and I think I'm going to have to resort to getting a bung for the Nur Spec :eek: :D It's not absolutely terrible, I had my 2 year old in the car and he had no problems sleeping through it, but with the front windows down, I can't hear him when he talks to me. I'm sure I also have a bit of ringing in my ears after a long journey! Doesn't help that the car I'd usually use for motorway runs (the ZT) is broken at the mo, so I have no choice but to use the Scoob and I don't want it to get to the point where the car is a chore to drive regularly... not that it will, but it can't be good for little ears.

Yeah hawkeye. Cannot wait :), its also got a zero resistance CAT in it which is supposedly supposed to add 10-15bhp and reduces lag id say probably running 330ish BHP . Also getting the car booked in for a new headunit. Kenwood DNX7170DABS cheapest online ive seen it is £749 but a local place is doing me £585 fitted !

Yeah eventually get all coolant hoses etc probably use the perrin ones
2d9b4m0.jpg

Soldato
Oh I know, I wouldn't dream of fitting the bung when I planned to make use of the power. It's just something that'd come in handy when in the vicinity of my house and when I have to do long motorway trips with my son in the car.

Not giving up the Nur Spec just yet, I think it sounds seriously awesome. Long journeys are a little bit draining though so if I can make it quieter for this task then it'd be perfect. I'm also looking into sound absorbtion but don't want to add too much weight to the car.

Wouldn't be a problem at all if the ZT was running, it's been a bit of a PITA this year tbh.

Soldato

Yeah, more or less. Went to view a blob sti/bugeye sti (not prodrive)/gb270/hatch wrx-s? Compared to the focus I didn't find them any quicker. Loved the noise though. Preferred the interior of the hatch, but the boot is mighty small. I'm going to be doing mega miles so the focus will be going :/ I realised I can't live without a leather interior lol.

Soldato
Not surprising an Impreza STi doesn't feel any faster then. They're only 265bhp stock, plus 4WD losses.

I've been in a few Focus STs, and they are a nice package with a nice interior but they're just a Focus with a big engine at the end of the day. The Impreza is a different kettle of fish.

What do you mean by mega miles, as in doing those miles in an Impreza? So fuel economy is important right? My bug WRX averaged 35mpg over the 12 months I owned it, the STi averages about 25. Same type of driving, mainly motorway.

Soldato
Yeah yeah :p

If I sit at 65 (~2600rpm) I'll get 30mpg+. If I sit at 70mph (~2800rpm) I'll get 25mpg. It was mapped by JGM who I know was no stranger to these cars but I'm sure there's something not quite right with my map to get such a difference in economy. Annoyingly, the Nur Spec is more bearable at higher rpm too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not surprising an Impreza STi doesn't feel any faster then. They're only 265bhp stock, plus 4WD losses.

I've been in a few Focus STs, and they are a nice package with a nice interior but they're just a Focus with a big engine at the end of the day. The Impreza is a different kettle of fish.

What do you mean by mega miles, as in doing those miles in an Impreza? So fuel economy is important right? My bug WRX averaged 35mpg over the 12 months I owned it, the STi averages about 25. Same type of driving, mainly motorway.

The Impreza sti handled very well. I also did like the handling of the wrx-s which I think had a prodrive kit on it. I'll be doing around 20k a year so I really do feel a diesel is needed. Though, apart from fuel on the focus I don't think anything else is to go wrong as I've done all the maintenance needed, so it would only be fuelling the thing. I've averaged 22mpg more or less with a mixture of motorway/local but I don't hang about driving it.

Associate
Had the car in the garage and it turns out I have a slight leak from the rocker gaskets.

Garage is saying it’s around a 4 hour job as it’s quite fiddly, does this sound right?

Back
Top Bottom