Who is YOUR favourite guitarist of all time ?

Associate
Nate--IRL-- said:
Rory Gallagher

Sir - to me this is the correct reply. Rory Gallagher.

For me he had it all. The guy was an absolute genius.
Some people learn guitar and become technically very good. Some people just seem to have it in them - and Rory was one of them.

Probably too blues for most people but he was absolutely stunning. If anyone is looking for something bluesy to listen too - try his new remastered greatest hits.

He is technically one of the absolute best I have ever heard.
He plays with more feeling (for me) than the likes of Hendrix.
One of the best acoustic players too.
The live stuff I have heard, sound as good as his recordings.

And for all the guitar threads I read in this forum - he doesnt get half the mentions he should.

I would love to hear comments from you guitar heads about Rory Gallagher...

Last edited:
Soldato
Pinkeyes said:

For me he had is all. The guy was an absolute genius.
Some people learn guitar and become technically very good. Some people just seem to have it in them - and Rory was one of them.

Probably too blues for most people but he was absolutely stunning. If anyone is looking for something bluesy to listen too - try his new remastered greatest hits.

And for all the guitar threads I read in this forum - he doesnt get half the mentions he should.

a blatant ommision sir, and your quite correct

Rory Gallagher rawks ...

:)

Associate
Pinkeyes said:

For me he had it all. The guy was an absolute genius.

Yes! nothing like The Bullfrog Blues..

*reaches for live old grey whistle test extended version indroduced by slash*

Soldato
Sparky191 said:
Yeah. His new stuff doesn't do it for me at all. Its too clinical.

Agreed. While I can still appreciate what he is doing now, it certainly doesn't have that magic element to it that he had back then. Everything he is releasing now just feels more nostalgic than anything. Which given the guys long career is fair enough I suppose. It's about time he took it easy and did something for himself.

Give me that rough edge he had back then any day. When things become techically perfect a lot of the art and feeling is lost. Music is far more than the sum of it's notes. Something that modern producers seem to be forgetting.

Associate
GordyR said:
Agreed. While I can still appreciate what he is doing now, it certainly doesn't have that magic element to it that he had back then. Everything he is releasing now just feels more nostalgic than anything. Which given the guys long career is fair enough I suppose. It's about time he took it easy and did something for himself.

Give me that rough edge he had back then any day. When things become techically perfect a lot of the art and feeling is lost. Music is far more than the sum of it's notes. Something that modern producers seem to be forgetting.

I agree with that point of view, but only in a "Studio Album" context.
Listen to Eric in the live arena and it's almost like listening to a different person. He still very much cuts it! Ok, there is the odd off-night. I have hundreds of bootlegs - these are the albums you really need to hear rather than the studio stuff (in general - From The Cradle is an obvious exception from the recent catalog).

Soldato
Tax Evader said:
I agree with that point of view, but only in a "Studio Album" context.
Listen to Eric in the live arena and it's almost like listening to a different person. He still very much cuts it! Ok, there is the odd off-night. I have hundreds of bootlegs - these are the albums you really need to hear rather than the studio stuff (in general - From The Cradle is an obvious exception from the recent catalog).

Oh god yes, the guy is still the creme-de-la-creme when it comes to live performance! The last time I saw him was the "24 nights" series of gigs at the Albert hall back in the 90's. Simply awesome. And he certainly proved he has still got it with the recent Cream reunion.

I think a big part of it is that its no longer the sixties, you know? Back then everything was so new, fresh and experimental. It could also be down to technology I guess. In those days it was all Valves and tape. Lovely warm distortion and everything had a "gritty" relaxed quality that was pure ecstasy on the ears. Now with the advent of Pro-Tools and digital recording we are in the realm of perfection as far as timing goes. Sure, the timing can be digitally altered with a click of the mouse; everything can be cut up and pasted back together. Fantastic tools... But... Dynamics are squashed to the point of no return with compressors and limiters and a lot of life is sucked out of music. Sometimes magic happens when we make mistakes. The "Crossroads" solo is a fine example. Clapton started the solo on the wrong beat and what followed was magic.

Digital recording has opened up a lot avenues for home artists and amateurs. It's a fantastic time to be making music. But to me what was going on in the late 60's - 70's was pure gold as far as artistry is concerned. Being born in 1981 I missed this by a pretty big margin. I really wish I had been able to experience it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Pinkeyes said:

I saw Gallagher at least 5 times in the early to mid 70's and I always enjoyed him even though I'm not a major fan of his. I also have the Rockpalast and Irish Tour DVD's for my memories. My lead guitarist first saw him with TASTE :eek:

Associate
My personal favourite is Steve Craddock (Ocean Colour Scene) - admittedly not technically the best player ever, nor the most experimental/innovative but there's something about his playing (especially live) that hits the spot for me.

Honourable mention to James Dean Bradfield (Manics) too.

Back
Top Bottom